whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seldom use blocks. They take too long to tie + its one more failure point. When I have tho, maybe 2500lbs max. Im not in that big of a hurry working with big wood over other peeps property.

Ever cut ur own false crotch on some beefy chunks?? That **** will keep ur attention. Havent needed to do that in a long time thanks to block n loopie. I cant say I really miss it.

Now 1 newton = 0.225 pounds force

So at 0.1 metres - one would have arond 100,000 lbf!! At 0.5 metres it drops to around 20,000 lbf and at 2 metres to less than 5,000 lbf.

Still a lot of weight on the equipment.

Thank God I dont have to worry about calculating all that - when I get my gear it is always marked how many newtons it can take, not just how much weigt - plus we use a metric system anyway, so it is a little easier for me:wink2:

Now 1 newton = 0.225 pounds force

So at 0.1 metres - one would have arond 100,000 lbf!! At 0.5 metres it drops to around 20,000 lbf and at 2 metres to less than 5,000 lbf.

Still a lot of weight on the equipment.

Thank God I dont have to worry about calculating all that - when I get my gear it is always marked how many newtons it can take, not just how much weigt - plus we use a metric system anyway, so it is a little easier for me:wink2:

I don't think any of us actually calculate, other than in rough numbers in head. But good to review what calculators or formulas tell you once in a while to get appreciation for the loads and forces in play.

That machine actually has quite a few attachments; only question about stump grinder is - does that have any wider side to side swing? Seems awful narrow compared to what I am used to in a stump grinder. You should have been able to do that stump in a full swing, vs only maybe half of it. Now I did not watch whole video, so sorry if something changed at end.

Looks like that machine would be pretty limited to what it can do as far as stump grinding and loading wood. It looks like you would have a problem getting the stump cut deep enough with that machine. All in all it is a pretty cool machine. I would like to have one for other things but I will stick with my 852 on the stumps.

Biggest I have negative blocked is in the 2500-3000 pound range. Been a while since I have had to block wood that big. The knots at the large branch unions is what usually make you have to go heavier than you like. I usually use the log chart to estimate how big I can go before I even do the job. I much prefer to tip tie and not shock load. If you can get a good rigging point to tip tie you can take some big honking pieces with a 3/4 bull rope.

While using 2 blocks may not allow you to split the load perfectly evenly it is going to offer some safeguard should one fail.

I was using 5/8ths superbraid ( double braid ) for the rigging on the majority of this tree and the WLL is 1/10th the tensile of 15,000.

Obviously letting it run is the best option but that doesn't always happen.

I've cut false crotches before but I always cringe at the sharp bend radius and rough edges the rope is going over in that scenario though I hear ya about the amount of added drop and extra points of possible failure with blocks.

Interesting to see some of the numbers and how quickly they add up once you put the piece in motion.

I gotta look into getting another block or two, maybe the big steel one mds suggested or them fancy new ones by DMM...and a bull rope that is only used for these situations to avoid dirt and only used on blocks.

Kinda sad how lightweight my rigging gear is when I actually look at the numbers. My biggest steel block that I bought brand new last year is made for 3/4 inch rope but only good for 4K lbs. Same for my 2 stainless steel ones. My little 5/8ths aluminum jobby can handle the most at 4400 lbs. And as heavy as my 5/8ths rope is it's kinda sad it's only rated to 1500 lbs. I know I've put a helluva lot more on it than that.

If you into heavy rigging, they make some nice blocks. Bite the pocket book a bit though.

Lol. No kidding.

It's not something I do everyday so it would be a bit hard to justify their cost but in situations like this they'd be pretty tight.

Just been thinking more about safer rigging as I almost lost a branch of this tree through the HO's house when a rigging point failed the previous day. Luckily the second one caught and I only brushed the siding but it was a tense moment I'd rather not repeat.

Working together in Harmony ...

What a luxury today was! Three man crew, the Steiner and a Bobcat sharing the load and working together.

To address the doubters: The Bobcat (worn tires, used to be a rental) slid into the landscaping because of the slope. Vince decided wisely to let it sit until I got back (I was dumping a load of huge logs). Had the Bobcat gone any further into the bushes there was a three foot drop right into the pool. Would any of you master skid steer operators here have chanced that little side trip?

On assessing the situation I put my 3 ton come-along (fiber rope) on the base of a neighbor's Pine tree and secured the Bobcat from any further slide into the landscaping (and pool), then I hitched the Steiner and gave enough of a pull to assist Vince in coming out of there. After that we kept the 'cat on level ground and the Steiner dragged the big stuff to it. Once all the big pieces were out the 'cat was banished to the road as the loaded weight was tearing up the turf too much. We didn't even bother to fire up the 'cat to load the smaller logs. We're real men, we just threw them in by hand.

5875628622_b61b5ee328_z.jpg

5875628334_46eb2e1a3c_z.jpg

5875070279_d56c6713a5_z.jpg

I bought the Steiner specifically for this job. Three more like it and it has paid for itself. Also made $200 cash for grinding out an averaged sized stump when the neighbor came out to ask us what we were tying the Bobcat to his Pine tree for. It's a snooty upscale neighborhood and they are all concerned about property lines and turf damage etc. I smoothed him out and got some extra cash for the effort to be nice.

Whatcha gonna do tomorrow? Here's mine:

5875070599_6fceebcd84_z.jpg

Anybody got some good advice on how to get that one to land on the customer's property and not the neighbor's pool? Ben, why not take a day off and help me with this one? 07:00 at my house, lunch will be catered and a pool party onsite after work ...

Last edited:
Well, I'm doing two 3-4' DBH Oaks that were blown over in a tornado here... I was thinking a full day but my guy that is hauling it off says a half day with his skid steer. He told me to cut the trunks 12' 3" so they will load better... he's hauling all the big stuff and putting the rest to the curb for $250. He wants the firewood to sell...

What a luxury today was! Three man crew, the Steiner and a Bobcat sharing the load and working together.

To address the doubters: The Bobcat (worn tires, used to be a rental) slid into the landscaping because of the slope. Vince decided wisely to let it sit until I got back (I was dumping a load of huge logs). Had the Bobcat gone any further into the bushes there was a three foot drop right into the pool. Would any of you master skid steer operators here have chanced that little side trip?

On assessing the situation I put my 3 ton come-along (fiber rope) on the base of a neighbor's Pine tree and secured the Bobcat from any further slide into the landscaping (and pool), then I hitched the Steiner and gave enough of a pull to assist Vince in coming out of there. After that we kept the 'cat on level ground and the Steiner dragged the big stuff to it. Once all the big pieces were out the 'cat was banished to the road as the loaded weight was tearing up the turf too much. We didn't even bother to fire up the 'cat to load the smaller logs. We're real men, we just threw them in by hand.

5875628622_b61b5ee328_z.jpg

5875070279_d56c6713a5_z.jpg

I bought the Steiner specifically for this job. Three more like it and it has paid for itself. Also made $200 cash for grinding out an averaged sized stump when the neighbor came out to ask us what we were tying the Bobcat to his Pine tree for. It's a snooty upscale neighborhood and they are all concerned about property lines and turf damage etc. I smoothed him out and got some extra cash for the effort to be nice.

Whatcha gonna do tomorrow? Here's mine:

5875070599_6fceebcd84_z.jpg

Anybody got some good advice on how to get that one to land on the customer's property and not the neighbor's pool? Ben, why not take a day off and help me with this one? 07:00 at my house, lunch will be catered and a pool party onsite after work ...

Take the ####ty fence apart and drop it.
Towards the camera idk whats hiding behind that brush but it might fit

AA, take the weight off the backside and looks like you can just notch and drop with a mechanical advantage setup attached to an adjacent tree or your steroid loaded lawnmower ( sorry, had to type it! LOL)

Snapped my half inch samson stablebraid on a way too big chunk of Red Oak, 2k+ range, didnt snap the whoopie sling going through the block. Landed the chunk between the already trashed retaining wall ( other Red went swimming nearby and when it uprooted it took out the wall) and the trunk of the tree, sounded like a pistol shot. Customer was old Navy and in the front yard but came back when he heard it knowing it for what it was. Got a big job coming up where I am going to need a new rigging set from Wesspur for big wood, just need to fig how big? Like the kits they sell but may need to buy stuff to make my own. Maybe time my sorry ass learns how to post video.

Don't bother to pack a lunch for tomorrow...

Take the ####ty fence apart and drop it.
Towards the camera idk whats hiding behind that brush but it might fit

The fence is being replaced (and I might do it just to buy the post hole digger attachment!) so it can be dropped. The tree however looms over the neighbor's pool and would end up right in it if things go wrong. I've got to be creative on this one, but it's sure to be fun, call in sick today (it's tomorrow already?) and come join the fun. If you can make it you can come right to the job whenever you like, (don't miss lunch!) bring Buddy with you. Call me if you can and I'll give you the address.

Thanks for sticking up for me. Imagine those idiots don't believe I drive a Countach (real, not a kit car) to work! lol ~ There's more work for you whenever you want it, I can learn from you, and that's worth something to me.

Big Wood, Big Rope...

AA, take the weight off the backside and looks like you can just notch and drop with a mechanical advantage setup attached to an adjacent tree or your steroid loaded lawnmower ( sorry, had to type it! LOL)

Snapped my half inch samson stablebraid ... I am going to need a new rigging set from Wesspur for big wood, just need to fig how big? Like the kits they sell but may need to buy stuff to make my own. Maybe time my sorry ass learns how to post video.

I'll have mucho photos and full video of what I end up doing. But your idea is a good one and will be part of the final drop. It's hard to show just how badly it leans over the pool but it will be apparent when you all see the photos and video.

I recently bought 150' of 19,500# test rigging line. (and a stainless Porta-Wrap to go with it). A ground guy cut 60' off of it (that got him fired) so now I've got a 60' and a 90' to work with. It's dynamic rope, so the stretch relieves the shock loading somewhat. I bought it because I also snapped half inch 9000# test rigging line recently (that ropeman got fired too).

I wish I was as good at tree work as I am with computers and video (I used to work for Apple, still have their stock and computers).

The slope and soft turf did the skid steer in and I had to pull it out with the Steiner:

[video=youtube;C55SdWT2MAM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C55SdWT2MAM[/video]

I didn't even bother to watch this video in the first place, but now I'm completely convinced this was a total waste of my time. I'm calling bs. Get out the boots. This is either total ignorance, or totally staged, or perhaps a wondrous synergetic bit of both. If there isn't anyone on the crew that can run it any better than that, perhaps you should take it back and stick to mowers and men. Furthermore, I'm even more so convinced now that the steiner garden rover has no business pulling anything over with any kind of safety, and it especially won't pull the wool over our eyes.

Now I can understand why you would get so geeked about this, you’ve been fighting buyer’s remorse like a midlife crisis and wearing the super Steiner patch ever since you committed to this machine. Seriously?? Give it up, you are just digging a deeper hole with all this hogwash.

What the what?? This pic right here is worth a thousand words. Stop the madness, just..please..stop. At first it was just funny, but now this whole circus is nothing more than an atrocity of ineptitude. I’m going to dub this photo: "of mowers and men" for you. It's really not like me to hack on a guy trying just to make his way through the industry, but this is embarrassing.

When you post crap de la crap like this in a pro section you're just begging for it. It's nothing personal, if you were showcasing the unit with the granny bucket to forward wood over turf, fine, funny, but fine. However, I'm not sure who you are trying to convince more with these shenanigans, us or you and your crew, but I can tell you for sure who isn’t buying it.

Back