whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like knotless rigging as well fast and easy but I still go back to knots for the big wood. Yep windy and rainy here too.

Here's your chance to join the elite tree services: Do It All Machine I can't quite swing it right now but I'll probably regret it the rest of my life.

I can't believe your sharing that kinda opprotunity with us ! I would think you would sell your chipper (quickly!) and jump on that! Before it gets away! :) It shows to me that you are just a "stand up" fella.....

So for this Knotless rigging....do you leave the biner tied onto the work rope all the time? If you take it on and off is a bowline thats girth hitched to the biner the best way to go? I am wondering how tight that knot will end up being.I am not worried about a bowline but Can u get a double or triple fishermans knot untied after loading it up like that? The thing (one of em) I worry about is that at some point that biner is gonna get stuck in a crotch, or even stuck on a stub, or some dumb **** that a bare end wonuldnt have snagged. I am big on muti crotching and often switch ends of the rope will working a tree so I gotta wonder.

So for this Knotless rigging....do you leave the biner tied onto the work rope all the time? If you take it on and off is a bowline thats girth hitched to the biner the best way to go? I am wondering how tight that knot will end up being.I am not worried about a bowline but Can u get a double or triple fishermans knot untied after loading it up like that? The thing (one of em) I worry about is that at some point that biner is gonna get stuck in a crotch, or even stuck on a stub, or some dumb **** that a bare end wonuldnt have snagged. I am big on muti crotching and often switch ends of the rope will working a tree so I gotta wonder.

Yes, most likely you will be going on just fine for while with the knotless rigging when all the sudden... DUMB **** HAPPENING! DUMB **** HAPPENING! DANGER WILL ROBININSON, DUMB **** IS HAPPENING!

talked to my morons this morning, the guy that cut the maple didnt like the fact he was getting a week off and paying for the damages and tried to ague with me about it that was the iceing on the cake, i grabbed him up by the collar and showed him the door to the shop for the last time. Kinda ashame that a guy with six years of experiance would be such a fool. As for my other guy that was there he i dont believe was to blame, he is primarily one of my truck drivers with minimal cutting experiance and was at the truck unchaining the loader when sam dropped the tree. Decided not to fire him but had a long talk about teamwork and although he is a drive there is no reason why he cant be out spotting a cutter in those situations.

Got my insurance guys quote this morning too, no structural damage on barn or boat, only cosmetic, total cost: 2159 bucks, not as bad as i thought but if anything like this happens again i'll prob go postal. Not only did it take off my bottom line for the quarter it put a blemish on my flawless reccord and i cant fix that

Screw the lawsuit from the Labor Dept. Yer lucky you haven't been arrested for assualt!

would this be a good choice of biner? For both 1/2 and 5/8 line?

Tree Stuff - ISC Off-Set D Steel Carabiner

Yep...that'll work. Get some slings and biners and cut as many as you can get away with. I'll have a big enough loop on my bowline to secure up to four easily, but I'm usually getting my limit with two or three. while they are away I'm wrapping new targets with slings and biners and/or moving my block(s). Usually by the time I get the bowline back, I'm ready. Unclip the empties (use them if I can) and load it up. Get the nod from my gm and let em fly.

I still run knots on the big chucks, but by then I'm running my 3/4" anyway and taking big enough pieces to justify the time and use of the knots.

The knotless system, 3/4 line and tackle, and the fiddle block has made this year's difference. I’m looking forward to my grcs/hobbs, and a speedline kit which will be ideal if I get the cemetery contract. Also need a grapple bucket for my friend's mass fergy. It's overdue.

Wind has me down running errands and doing estimates today, but it might have me busier by the time it's over.

well thats reassuring :msp_unsure:.

Well you said it first.

I first started with knotless. Not anymore. Nothing reall bad happened, just to much dumchit to deal with, like you mentioned, but there is more, I don't even wanna go into. Some obvious stuff but also some not so obvious stuff... like the newbie running hisself through the chipper cause he clipped a sling to his belt loop?

Even if you are just putting a snap at the end of the rig line there are things you may have to consider. At least put a plastic thimble between semi-permanant rope/ snap connection. That's what I have used, just a double locking rope snap. Steel. Its good to use them as them as the most inexpensive link suitable, the gates take a beating. One day you'll be standing up there wacthing them run for pliers, wrenches, hacksaws and saying " can't we just cut the rope?" See? Dumb ****.

Yer crazy ass is gonna break it quickly, just forget about. Maybe if you were lowering a few small ones outta a forty foot norway maple but....yer not.

Well you said it first.

I first started with knotless. Not anymore. Nothing reall bad happened, just to much dumchit to deal with, like you mentioned, but there is more, I don't even wanna go into. Some obvious stuff but also some not so obvious stuff... like the newbie running hisself through the chipper cause he clipped a sling to his belt loop?

Even if you are just putting a snap at the end of the rig line there are things you may have to consider. At least put a plastic thimble between semi-permanant rope/ snap connection. That's what I have used, just a double locking rope snap. Steel. Its good to use them as them as the most inexpensive link suitable, the gates take a beating. One day you'll be standing up there wacthing them run for pliers, wrenches, hacksaws and saying " can't we just cut the rope?" See? Dumb ****.

Yer crazy ass is gonna break it quickly, just forget about. Maybe if you were lowering a few small ones outta a forty foot norway maple but....yer not.

Good food for thought. Esp considering the best reason that I, personally, can think of to go knotless is that I am hoping to get around the frusteration of watching a GM untie a knot. I thought it may speed that up. I have a good crew though, i think, I would probably just get frusterated about somthing different anyway..lol. I need to remember somtimes that just because a guy cant untie a knot as fast as me it doesnt nessaryly mean he is to slow..... Slings and a biner or 2 would still be very useful at times, esp on a conifer. I have done multi limb lower before on pines n firs but i rigged up 3 short pieces of 1/2 inch and tied those to a bowline. But I was still tieing each end and had to wait for it each time. Faster than one at a time but not as fast as slings would be.

Good food for thought. Esp considering the best reason that I, personally, can think of to go knotless is that I am hoping to get around the frusteration of watching a GM untie a knot. I thought it may speed that up. I have a good crew though, i think, I would probably just get frusterated about somthing different anyway..lol. I need to remember somtimes that just because a guy cant untie a knot as fast as me it doesnt nessaryly mean he is to slow..... Slings and a biner or 2 would still be very useful at times, esp on a conifer. I have done multi limb lower before on pines n firs but i rigged up 3 short pieces of 1/2 inch and tied those to a bowline. But I was still tieing each end and had to wait for it each time. Faster than one at a time but not as fast as slings would be.

I may be missing something here, or perhaps it's my inexperience lol. I use a steel biner tied on with a bowline 99 percent of the time. I have dismantled some big oaks with that setup. I have NEVER had a break or an issue while doing so. It's way faster to throw a cpl wraps on a limb, and click in rather than tying new knots every time. I see absolutely nothing wrong with using this set up all day, all week long.

Taking in my F600 for some brake work and a new drag link. Also fabbing a higher top for the chip box to increase capacity seeing as the 1890 can take double the debris my 150 can. 150 is going in for a new ignition system and some welding too.

I may be missing something here, or perhaps it's my inexperience lol. I use a steel biner tied on with a bowline 99 percent of the time. I have dismantled some big oaks with that setup. I have NEVER had a break or an issue while doing so. It's way faster to throw a cpl wraps on a limb, and click in rather than tying new knots every time. I see absolutely nothing wrong with using this set up all day, all week long.

I'm with the dan on this one. I could never see a spliced eye and biner working out for me. I'm kinda old school with some things though. You never set ropes with poles? Do you have to climb out to every rigging point, and then back in if you wanna do a tip tie, or would you climb out there and put a half hitch before the biner? I'm just trying to visualize this here.

Put a couple checks in the bank and scored a day and a half job. not bad for a rainday.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the $50 bush that I "scored" from this crazy old lady. She was all freaked out about it rubbing on her window. Poor thing, I've worked for her before, so I know she has some problems. One time she called 911 because she thought I was about to fall out of the bucket. I guess they came and went while we were dumping chips. Another time she dragged me and a buddy out at 8:00 (well into our evening festivities) to rescue her because she had a 3" sapling (literally) that had leaned over and was brushing on her propane tank. She feeds raccoons on her deck, even has a ladder for them to get up there. lol, I think she's kinda cool actually, and I'm glad to help her out. I couldn't imagine going through life so freaked out and helpless feeling!

Edit: now I remember, she called 911 and then hung up. of course they came anyway.

Last edited:
Yes, most likely you will be going on just fine for while with the knotless rigging when all the sudden... DUMB **** HAPPENING! DUMB **** HAPPENING! DANGER WILL ROBININSON, DUMB **** IS HAPPENING!

Simple Will don't do dumb ****:) Anyway I'm knotless unless shockload is a concern. Or the load is too close to limits or in other word the 3/4 bull rope comes into play. Ok i go grind stumpys now and then wraptor one come home get on my deer stand:)

Back