whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate that bro. To tell the truth, I like coming here to talk shop, read the humorous wannabe posts and enjoy myself. I have met excellent friends, business contacts, and even brothers on this site. Even the ones I have met that haven't worked out I have respect for, pray for and wish the best for...

To be a mod would mean to have to grow up and be the parent (and prolly be retired) neither of which am I ready for.

Wampum does a fine job of moderation. Or shall I say "self moderation". He pretty much lets the forum moderate itself as it should. He is doing a fine job and gets no complaints here. Believe me. we don't want someone ruling with an iron fist or imposing their thoughts and beliefs on us. I think things are working just as they should and have the utmost respect for Wampum and his moderation... Or lack thereof. ;)

Or is it Trimmed who is modding now... Hell I don't know, Can't keep up with #### like that but whoever the hell is doing it now I would recommend staying anonymous ... And your doing a fine job. ;)

I'm just going out there on a long one, but maybe a rep now and then wouldn't be over the limitations of some of you professionals. I mean you all have lots of time in your hands locked away in those offices every day. A guy like me out there looking for that next job, sweatin' and hustlin' the job sites with my crew really is going to find a rep now and then so motivating. Tree work would go so much better, and I'd have that fire to tak on all of the customers like a regular Bob Hope.

I'm just saying since we have time to come up with genius stuff like unofficial mods and everything.

Got up at 0530 hrs, finished packing and am taking a cab to the Pearson at 0800 to catch a plane to Philly to visit friends in Wilmington, DE for a week, then will fly west back to Alberta a week today. Been a great break here in the east even if I have been sick as a dog with a bad cold after I got home from Cuba.

So this is the big bad, storm damaged leader that I got a call on last week that a few other services had turned down. Nothing too impressive. I got the bid.

92774471afa54215a82775512766635a.jpg

105f185494e047e78dc7abd49a2fed67.jpg

209b78fa0cc74f01a18d4cab9868b0d9.jpg

Big O didn't turn it down but they over priced it. A few local guys didn't want any part of it. No good access to it but the wood is staying so no biggie. It's just not the type of job you are going to do with a power pruner, ladder and without a bull rope.

Big O didn't turn it down but they over priced it. A few local guys didn't want any part of it. No good access to it but the wood is staying so no biggie. It's just not the type of job you are going to do with a power pruner, ladder and without a bull rope.

Is big O, asplundh? If it is since when did they start doing residencial work?

I try to make it a habit not to call my competitors or other services out by name but they are the big Orange company. And they will do residential when called but they are expensive.

I try to make it a habit not to call my competitors or other services out by name but they are the big Orange company. And they will do residential when called but they are expensive.

To my surprise I found out they do private work in about 12 states. I allways thought they were utility line clearance only. Thats why i wasn,t sure who you were refering to.

What is Aspy doing bidding on jobs?:msp_confused:

I agree that is not a bad job.

Local line clearance guys here are doing jobs in yards while clearing lines. Had a customer tell me they were clearing in front of his house and asked them if they would do 2 ash in his backyard. They did it for $800. I figured they just did it real quick and picked the cash but maybe not. Either way it kind of stinks for us but that's how it goes.

Was doing storm damage last Summer and had the line clearance guys working in the ROW behind my aunt's house. One of the guys (probably illegal) was on the other side of the fence when I gave my aunt a price to do her damaged Pines (the nephew price). The idiot on the other side of the fence said in broken English, "no that's too high", "$200 dollars". I came unglued. I told him that this was my aunt and he had better get back to humping brush or I was going to come across the fence and walk the floor with his ass... He got back to work and minded his own business after that... My aunt laughed her ass off.

Last edited:
The guys that work for them here do side work, I dont think they are suppose to. I was talking to one this past season about it, I ask him about his ad in the phone book. He started mumbling and said he gives all the callins to another tree guy, I said ya right.

Really, I don't begrudge anyone for trying to make a living. When you're trying to scab off of me right in front of my face though, that's another thing.

You're never going to stop them from doing side work. I just wonder what happens if they tear something up that is not on their work order while they are on company time... Or when they're own time for that matter.

It doesnt bother my that much. This guy is a joke I seen him bouncing 6-8" rounds off a roof.

Back