whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been working on the bandit 90 in between jobs. Got the air cleaner painted and a new stainless steel crossover tube in stead of the rusty one.

Slowly getting it painted up piece by piece...

Chainged oil and filter
drained hydro filled with 10-30wt. new filter
new chipper knives with nuts and bolts
set anvil clearance
new fuel line with filter
new air cleaner filter

Next is a new muffler Im making out of 321 stainless steel, aircraft grade.

003.jpg

002-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

Oh man, now I want to get a green one! I use mine on many jobs, any job the requires moving material or forwarding of any kind. I use the stump grinder infrequently, but when I do I charge accordingly. Yesterday we used it all day and it allowed me and a 55 yr old ground man to handle a lot of brush and big rounds from a Pine removal. We just bulldozed a path up into a wooded portion of the customer's "estate" and created an ecologically sound wildlife habitat.

The one ton cart allows us to stack huge piles of limbs ad pull it up into the woods. The slip scoop handles the larger rounds, any 5' lengths we can pick up stack on the cart. It's high flotation tires allows it to traverse lawns without making ruts, even when the ground is saturated like yesterday. The Steiner allows two old men to do the work of three nephews and a cousin.

5837633680_52249fbfbf_b.jpg

Oh Doug now that I think of it , if LEE doesn't technically get a paid how do you get Comp for him cause I mean if I can say all my guys are just volunteers I mean I could save a mint here man , you may be on to something here , please answer the question this is a real question that deserves a response ....

Here's a question for ya. Is there a way you can make a wrap not look completely gay and egotistical? There's a fine line between promoting your business and not goin over the top, "Look at me, I cut trees!" Just sayin here. I'm proud of my business and the work we do, but the full wraps just seem to scream attention whore.

I have to agree with you on this. I have some customers that do not listen to me at all and they want what they want even if the design is loud and too busy. Bottom line is they are paying for it. When you consider a wrap or graphics, you have to think that you have about 5-7 seconds to make an impression. Having a loud and bright background is not a bad thing if you have minimal information on it such as a logo, website, and number. If you have a more laid back design with a bold name number and website, I firmly believe it is an all around better design. You have to consider your business also.

Here is one of my company trucks. It is loud and proud and screams for attention but that is what I want it to do. I sell vehicle wraps and graphics so I want people to break their necks to look at my truck. My goal with this truck is to get attention but at the same time there is not a ton of information on it. Name, number, website. You would not believe the attention it gets. And it has train horns, not a cheap set but the best set Hornblasters sells. Loud as hell.
View attachment 223034

Here is a picture of one of my work trucks for my tree business. It is a clean design that does not scream too loud but looks very professional. I have added some graphics to the bed sides that say exactly what I do but I do not have a picture of those.
View attachment 223035

Here is a pic of the sign I leave in every yard I do tree work in. Just a few days and I go back and pick it up. $50 sign has netted me 10's of thousands of dollars of work.
View attachment 223036

A lot of guys paint their trucks a solid color and then do simple door logos in a contrasting color. This is one of the best things you can do. Less is more a lot of the time. There is someone on ehere Casadea or something like that. Look at his fleet. Clean and simple but very professional looking. Even his older 1 ton looks great beacause of the paint and simple graphics. You can take a pick-up truck and get it painted and put graphics on it for cheaper than you can wrap a truck.

My whole point is that it is not too expensive to make your fleet look great. It is looked over by some and it should be made a priority. Graphics are cheap and they last 5 years on average. If you do simple door logos, you are going to spend around $100 and it will come with a 5 year warranty. If you don't see the investment there, well........

Last edited:
I have to agree with you on this. I have some customers that do not listen to me at all and they want what they want even if the design is loud and too busy. Bottom line is they are paying for it. When you consider a wrap or graphics, you have to think that you have about 5-7 seconds to make an impression. Having a loud and bright background is not a bad thing if you have minimal information on it such as a logo, website, and number. If you have a more laid back design with a bold name number and website, I firmly believe it is an all around better design. You have to consider your business also.

Here is one of my company trucks. It is loud and proud and screams for attention but that is what I want it to do. I sell vehicle wraps and graphics so I want people to break their necks to look at my truck. My goal with this truck is to get attention but at the same time there is not a ton of information on it. Name, number, website. You would not believe the attention it gets. And it has train horns, not a cheap set but the best set Hornblasters sells. Loud as hell.
View attachment 223034

Here is a picture of one of my work trucks for my tree business. It is a clean design that does not scream too loud but looks very professional. I have added some graphics to the bed sides that say exactly what I do but I do not have a picture of those.
View attachment 223035

Here is a pic of the sign I leave in every yard I do tree work in. Just a few days and I go back and pick it up. $50 sign has netted me 10's of thousands of dollars of work.
View attachment 223036

A lot of guys paint their trucks a solid color and then do simple door logos in a contrasting color. This is one of the best things you can do. Less is more a lot of the time. There is someone on ehere Casadea or something like that. Look at his fleet. Clean and simple but very professional looking. Even his older 1 ton looks great beacause of the paint and simple graphics. You can take a pick-up truck and get it painted and put graphics on it for cheaper than you can wrap a truck.

My whole point is that it is not too expensive to make your fleet look great. It is looked over by some and it should be made a priority. Graphics are cheap and they last 5 years on average. If you do simple door logos, you are going to spend around $100 and it will come with a 5 year warranty. If you don't see the investment there, well........

all great stuff there, really nice and professional.

that truck is loud, I love the lift on it. My daily driver has a very conservative 6" lift and 35" tires, I didn't want to look ridiculous pulling up if I use it for bids.

IMG00140-20110608-2039.jpg

Lee is auditing the course ...

Oh Doug now that I think of it , if LEE doesn't technically get a paid how do you get Comp for him cause I mean if I can say all my guys are just volunteers I mean I could save a mint here man , you may be on to something here , please answer the question this is a real question that deserves a response ....

It's a Family business and Lee is Family, just like the nephews. Lee spent years wandering homeless pulling a cart. He has issues that make him unemployable. When he first came to Pittsburgh we encouraged him to go to the VA Hospital here and see a shrink. He did and they granted him a full disability for his PTSD (up from 70%). The VA provides for all his medical needs.

Coming out on a job with me and the nephews is therapy for him, and exercise. He has no duties, but he likes to drive the tractor and stuff ropes. He's extremely anal and he organizes the gear. He refuses payment of any kind, but money has never been one of his problems. He pays $1100 a month to live in a hotel and will probably stay there for years before he decides to move. He's like Forrest Gump but with a Howard Hughes mentality.

He keeps to himself and avoids people he doesn't know. It's good karma to help him, so I do.

View attachment 223034

View attachment 223035

View attachment 223036

I absolutely agree with you on having a clean fleet with your company's name and logo as well as contact info. It's on all my trucks and while they aren't new they aren't complete rust buckets either. Casadei's fleet looks very nice and he's currently minting it out to look that much better. Impressions are a very important part of this biz. I just think that wraps are too much, as understated as your dump is for a wrap job it still looks ( to me ) like you're trying to hard. Especially with those gay ass fake chrome wheel covers. lol The first pickup was ridiculous, had to concentrate to even make the name out on it. I'd personally be embarrassed to be seen in such a thing. I understand it's a moving billboard for your wrap biz but damn, that's an ugly sob.

To kind of understand where I'm at, let me put it this way. I want customers to feel privileged that I took the time to do their work. I don't want them to think I need their work. I think that having a bit more subtlety in advertising forces customers to seek ME out as opposed to me seeking them out. I don't want a potential client to feel as if I'm recruiting them. Hard to explain but do you get what I'm saying?

Spanked down a 5' Silver Maple for the city today. Had the city boys cleaning up with the front end loader, dump truck and chipper. Had a power drop to one street light so she was all money cuts on the street side. Standard rigging and chunking on the garage/house side. This tree had 7 major leads coming out at about 8', one of those spreading/broad crowns. Those boys love it when I put those full size leads down in the street. It was one of those deals that you could have done all of it out of the bucket truck, but I opted to put on a climbing clinic because I didn't want another truck in the way, the city already had that covered. Ahh, arboriculture at it's finest.:msp_biggrin:

It's good to see my fellow mullets rising up in the name arboriculture!:rock:

It's a Family business and Lee is Family, just like the nephews. Lee spent years wandering homeless pulling a cart. He has issues that make him unemployable. When he first came to Pittsburgh we encouraged him to go to the VA Hospital here and see a shrink. He did and they granted him a full disability for his PTSD (up from 70%). The VA provides for all his medical needs.

Coming out on a job with me and the nephews is therapy for him, and exercise. He has no duties, but he likes to drive the tractor and stuff ropes. He's extremely anal and he organizes the gear. He refuses payment of any kind, but money has never been one of his problems. He pays $1100 a month to live in a hotel and will probably stay there for years before he decides to move. He's like Forrest Gump but with a Howard Hughes mentality.

He keeps to himself and avoids people he doesn't know. It's good karma to help him, so I do.

He still didn't answer the question posted by 101. I doubt he has workman's comp or declares all his income.

Oh man, now I want to get a green one! I use mine on many jobs, any job the requires moving material or forwarding of any kind. I use the stump grinder infrequently, but when I do I charge accordingly. Yesterday we used it all day and it allowed me and a 55 yr old ground man to handle a lot of brush and big rounds from a Pine removal. We just bulldozed a path up into a wooded portion of the customer's "estate" and created an ecologically sound wildlife habitat.

The one ton cart allows us to stack huge piles of limbs ad pull it up into the woods. The slip scoop handles the larger rounds, any 5' lengths we can pick up stack on the cart. It's high flotation tires allows it to traverse lawns without making ruts, even when the ground is saturated like yesterday. The Steiner allows two old men to do the work of three nephews and a cousin.

5837633680_52249fbfbf_b.jpg

you could atleast drag the chuck and duck up there too and chip the crap so the guy does not have to look at a big pile of crap. how do you even get all these people to let you do that the few times we were allowed to do something similar was when we were clearing the side of a few comercial properties that backed up into the woods but we were nice enough to broadcast all the chips into the woods to make it look civilized

the steiner can pull the chuck and duck right???

Latest posts

Back