whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a clip from today. I videoed in short clips as they are easier to manage and upload... But forgot to turn my camera on on a bunch of stuff... I tend to focus more on the work than trying to show out.

Contour | Stories | FILE0046

Thanks for the vids Larry.

I've missed some of my best rigging by forgetting to turn the camera on because I stay focused on the work.

For editing, I use Cyberlink Powerdirector 9. I don't remember how much it cost but to me it was worth it to have decent videos on my website. It is very time consuming though.

Thanks mds and 2Tree, we use them (had one on both pull lines) for lots of stuff for pulling and tieing down. Take the hitch out of your pick up or big truck...put a spliced eye lanyard in the hitch...then put the hitch pin in without the hitch. Bowline the porty onto the lanyard and you can cinch up real nice (hooking up the pull down line in the takedown)...making sure to put in a couple of lock offs.

I've taken to just dropping the porty into the pintle hitch and locking it closed (my pintle has a 2" ball) the porty stays locked into the neck of the ball. No tight bend radius over the hitch pin, and one less piece in the rigging chain. Super quick too.

Cool videos guys. I was watching some of Regs also. was that a remote on his wrist? There was a link to the camera he was using and it def looked nice. But I also like the idea of lower price which I am thinking some of you guys have. the picture quality looked good if not great in both TV and TreeMDs so what are you guys using? I am sure the info is right in front of me but I dont see it lol. I also like the idea of a strap for the cam to helmet.

Think I got the nikon program figured out but having a camera swinging around my neck makes for some piss poor vids lol. Here's one we did last week, pretty boring but haven't done anything real technical lately. looks like ya just click on the pick and it plays

Last edited:
Hey, I posted the listing for the Chardon Urban Forester job on the Employment forum. If you know any CAs in the area who might be looking please pass it along. Might be a good part time gig.
Phil

I'll keep my ears open for ya my friend, but I'm having a hard enough time just trying to find a climber LOL
Thanks!

As far as the chipper goes, I'm gonna call the dealer tomorrow, and see about the welding it really needs. Then it'll be mint, I figure! Lol.

Big hold up on the blasting/paint part though!!

bandit chippers are pretty enough, I can't wait to see the progress with the green. updates please..

I just use my first generation Droid.

Here's a pic of the smaller top wood (good size reference with the ground guy). A lot more shock load with the higher stuff though...
View attachment 227396

Ain't that the job you posted a month or two ago??
It was uphill both ways if I recall right.:hmm3grin2orange:

Nice pic.

Like a lot of others, I have nothing exciting to post right now. Just boring monotonous crap.
Got a live oak week after next to kill.It's got 18- 20 in of spar literally pushing down an inch or two on the roof edge, then goes up over the center of the house.
Pics are a must on this one , so as to document the damage to the roof before we start.
Been down that road before.Not going there again.

Had tons of fun today, had to help a friend of a friend out with some trees at his new house. About an hour away from my friend's house, same from my yard. Had my friend and his buddy grounding for me. Got a couple bucks for my time, nothing to go nuts over though. Did a 24" DBH rotten red maple over the house that had to be rigged down. After that was done I asked about the 2 other rotten ones behind the house, the kid was hemming and hawing, my friend tells him that he should have it done now, because odds are I won't come back. So we did those 2, plus I got 1 busted branch out of a silver maple. Finished at 6:00, dumped the chips off around 7:15. Had one neighbor come over today asking about a big tree at his place up the road, told him sorry I can't help you, get somebody closer. On the bright side of things I did get confirmation from the Italian Army for next weekend. Should be a blast if I can keep my cool.

[video=youtube_share;3AQ9KXjrUrQ]http://youtu.be/3AQ9KXjrUrQ[/video]

Nice vet i hate when groundy don't give it slack, puts you in danger! Anyway bro I figured you would be using knotless rigging except for the big stuff. I have sped my operations greatly on multiples buy using them. I carry ten slings up, first cut is a stopper lol then slide them puppys down till I figure I'm at swl limit and holler, lower lol. I love watching ten limbs fold up in a minute and not waiting ten times for the groundy to untie:monkey:

Btw you use that wraptor much ? I sure do lol, I love that contraption, going to do a big sycamore with it soon and may use it tomorrow instead of bucket. I sorta almost rather use my wraptor many times.

Last edited:
I have to say you must be a good dude to work for. I am sure you chew some ass when needed but your pretty good with the positive reinforcement also. I understand your training newer help but I would guess its kind of habit also. People will work pretty hard for less pay with someone like that. More so then they would for better pay with someone that rips their head off constantly for no reason. Of course as I said when an ass chewing is needed then its needed.

Nice clips by the way... now grow out the mullet and toss us some full takedown videos

Thanks SOM, BTW, I have a couple of clips of me chewing some serious ass... As you can tell, I am training new personnel on the ropes and for the most part he is doing an excellent job and I like to let him know what I want him to repeat through "positive reinforcement". Problem is, he thinks it's the same scenario every time... Not so in tree work. If I tell you to let it run one time, I may want you to hold the work the next time... He raked the roof of that house with a big limb because he was trying to replicate the last scenario when we needed to let it run... I chewed his ass really good about that and have the whole deal on film but would never show it or anything else that shows me correcting a worker. He told me he was trying to keep the work away from me or coming back on me; that was he reason for letting it run and I cannot be mad at him for that (although I was at the time). There was no damage and I felt like a real ass for yelling at him when he was doing exactly what I told him to do with the last scenario. I also have some footage of me cussing out my new climber and coaxing him up the tree... You will never see me post vids of my guys in situations like that. One thing about the vid camera, it will make you see what kind of boss you are and you might not like what you see. I will not show any vids of me being an A-hole because it's embarrassing to me.

your just a flat lander not like us mountain boys u sure dont like the cold

I left down town riverside this morning in a short sleeve shirt and my lite boots, headed up the mountain to do three removals. bye 9:00 am I was up in the top of a pine when the wind kicked up and it started snowing, hailing and sleeting all at the same time. Temp. dropped 30 degrees. They wanted me to chunk out two pines and a cedar next to a house, there was a hi way and HV wires down hill, but it was so cold I was inspired to figure out a way to drop those suckers. I took a big top out of the one I was in so it couldn't roll down hill. then dropped it and rest of them across a small road so they landed on the bank on the other side all up hill.
I get paid by the hour for that company and normally will do what-ever they ask(they do some strange stuff sometimes)but today I just wanted to get out of there before I froze to death. I was home by two.

Im wearing a t shirt and you've got gloves and two jackets lol love ya wade

Catching up on some paperwork, then sharpening some saw chains and greenteeth. Gonna have the new hire stop by and fill out paperwork and get him familiar with the GCRS for my locust job tomorrow.

Im wearing a t shirt and you've got gloves and two jackets lol love ya wade

If im a flat lander than your a hillbilly but let me tell you ive climbed some big mountains.:msp_tongue: When I lived in northern pa the locos used to used this phrase all the time. It made me laugh cause while they were sitting at the smoked filled bar calling me a flatlander I was just thinking how stupid they were for being where they are at while I just got back from climbing mt washington with a 40 lbs pack on.

Ain't that the job you posted a month or two ago??
It was uphill both ways if I recall right.:hmm3grin2orange:

Nice pic.

Like a lot of others, I have nothing exciting to post right now. Just boring monotonous crap.
Got a live oak week after next to kill.It's got 18- 20 in of spar literally pushing down an inch or two on the roof edge, then goes up over the center of the house.
Pics are a must on this one , so as to document the damage to the roof before we start.
Been down that road before.Not going there again.

Yeah, FTR that tree had me crying like a little #####. It seemed like everyone was deaf.. I mean what's so complicated about "let it run"?? The whole job was annoying me with how difficult it proved to be. I really just wanted a beer and some wood stove action! Lol.

Oh, and I hate having to ##### at my help, but sometimes it just is what it is. These days I find myself apologizing in the next sentence.

Nothing for treework lately, but I just figure its the time of year. In fifteen years of self employment, you kinda notice trends after a while. I can't wait though.. almost ready for the madness again!!

Latest posts

Back