whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a real simple trim branches off the roof job for 400 and turned it onto 1100. Neighbors kept coming over and wanting theirs done, I love this business! Been bidding jobs right and actually making money so far. Not going to let my guard down though as I know it only takes one OH S***. Have a new groundy to, great worker and lucky to have him. Think he will be getting a raise soon.

love and hate working alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

had a relatively big job for 2 guys today with a picky HO today. Ended up doing the job alone my groundie had to go and have a baby a 230 this morning. congrats to him! but stuck me to do the job myself. couldn't reschedule, and didn't want to lose the job so i work my a$$ off I'm beat! finished all but the chipping. my buddy has the chipper. glad i did it, the ladies best friend is a local tree Warden and she liked how i was working and the job i was doing. hope that lead goes somewhere!!! you don't realize how nice and speedy you can do things when everyone knows there job and you don't have to go up and down a thousand times to tie off and down to lower. lots of lost time. well on that note time for a beer and hot tub so im not completely lockedup tommorrow. have a good night guys.

got asked to do an estimate "I have some trees growing next to my garage there not very big but there TALL and I have a couple bushes I want trimmed too..." it was kinda far a way so I asked if she could email me a picture of the trees since it sounded like a small money job so I could save the gas money for the estimate I get the pictures I almost fell off my chair when I saw the trees. Looks like 3 or 4 MONSTER mulberries I'd say 2.5" DBH maybe 9' tall, I'm not sure if I can handle them I might need to bring in a few extra guys maybe do some extreme precision felling right onto the fence that's 4 feet away

dont let his Vet see that pic... KASK isnt ANSI approved.

Its not? I looked it over well enough and I have crash tested close to half a dozen helmets so I know what I am looking at.

I feel very snug behind the visor on mine with out it impeeding my movements. I use earplugs on string tied to the helmet to keep it light and streamline.

What fun I had today. This morning I had to deal with some phone calls that aren't going my way. Then in the afternoon I got more phone calls that did not go my way. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

What fun I had today. This morning I had to deal with some phone calls that aren't going my way. Then in the afternoon I got more phone calls that did not go my way. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

Dont answer the phone

Fresh wood chips rather than composted?

Fresh clean chips and cow manure make for nice top mulch for plant beds. For soil I just kept turning and churning til i got something.

I have been digging topsoil all day close to ten yards. I have it piled ontop of some decomposed chips and will work that into the topsoil to rejuvinate it. I am going to do a 1:1 ratio so I hope to have 20 yards of good soil on hand for the season while I make more and different kinds.

I will have some for lawn repair/ stump work as well a few blends for the project. I also have reconsidered what price range the product will be sold for , it will be considerable higher and I plan to do all the marketing and retail myself.

Fresh clean chips and cow manure make for nice top mulch for plant beds. For soil I just kept turning and churning til i got something.

I have been digging topsoil all day close to ten yards. I have it piled ontop of some decomposed chips and will work that into the topsoil to rejuvinate it. I am going to do a 1:1 ratio so I hope to have 20 yards of good soil on hand for the season while I make more and different kinds.

I will have some for lawn repair/ stump work as well a few blends for the project. I also have reconsidered what price range the product will be sold for , it will be considerable higher and I plan to do all the marketing and retail myself.

Then you should change your name to dirtmandan

The phone has been ringing but the only jobs I am landing are small ones. I thought I would post that thinking my luck will change! Come on, big wammy!

Had a real simple trim branches off the roof job for 400 and turned it onto 1100. Neighbors kept coming over and wanting theirs done, I love this business! Been bidding jobs right and actually making money so far. Not going to let my guard down though as I know it only takes one OH S***. Have a new groundy to, great worker and lucky to have him. Think he will be getting a raise soon.

I love when i got more jobs just from being at one when i was doing line clearance people would ask us constantly how much to trim or take down theirs i would say this company just does line clearance but i can do it this weekend and give them a price on my lunch or after we were done for the day but when i did the job i would drag all the brush to the curb and chip it all on monday morning and had a few extra hundred bucks in my pocket:rock:

Before
43acf8e6-6dff-b9a6.jpg

After
43acf8e6-6e20-14dc.jpg

just a bunch of ash trees today. Had the groundie / hot shot new climber watch my nuckle on the primary. When I told him that I had to climb 2 of them he told me it was a shame that his gear was on another truck. He's done a few small trims and now he thinks he can do 75-100' overhangs. love his confidence but i wouldn't let my boss do it, the only other guy i wouldn't question is ex nelson and is the only guyin the co that i honestly learn from and respect. He's the one guy i wouldn't tangle with either(army ranger first tour in somalia) finished the day grinding stumps on the pockets because someone forgot to buy teeth a month ago Pretty much same !@#$ different day. good news is that I only have 20 grand to go and I can pay cash for my bucket

I was so busy trying to figure out why anyone would show the pictures of the trees i didnt notice the spindel. :laugh: that was a good observation.

Looked at this hickory today.......can't go to the right, house and landscaping over there. Mostly needs to come toward the camera. If you line up the base of the trunk and the bottom left corner of the pic, that's the best lay to not mash landscape or other trees. And of course, try to avoid collateral damage to the tree it's stuck in.

Can't get a bucket in the yard.

Kinda fun one, huh?

attachment.php

is this a trick question? are we supposed to be looking at the trees or the missing spindle on the railing?
I don't think your carpentry skills are any good and maybe not your tree skills either(depends what we are looking at)

The busted top that's above the tree house is missing in the second photo.
The spindle must have been barely hanging on because the railing is busted in both photos and I'm sure all it took was a light brush by a limb to knock it out. All the spindles are rotten and barely haning on. The tree house was clobbered by limbs that fell in a windstorm and will either be repaired or dismantled this summer according to the HO.

Last edited:
looks fun , glad i'm not in your area, my boss would've told me to just run up there and cut,cut,cut. Actually it's not that bad. Tie in on the good tree, put a rope on the leaner annd cut it loose by removing the top and getting it free, then lower the rest down. My opinion is biased on not seeing it up close

Back