whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my best friends tows a float every year for one of the local clubs in the Memorial Day Parade in his town. This year I suggested that we take my truck, because it's shiny and new. Here's a pic that he got before we got out into the procession. I didn't want to drive with young kids on the back, but had a good time just being along for the ride.

Went to look at a tree removal to quote today, and on my way home seen a old pickup for sale. Its a 1958 dodge 100 with a international diesel engine. They want $2,200 for it. I would love to take a old truck like this and tub it out, chop the roof, and oh yeah put a big mofo engine in it.

attachment.php

we have had one of those out with us for a couple weeks now I don't like it, doesn't seem to cut as fast as a 260/261. It doesnt seem like the av mounts are going to last, going off memory here... springs seem a little long, a lot of movement. I didn't notice the weight because I was running a 660 on the ground w/ a 32" bar for the longest time so anything was lighter. that reminds me I need to get the shop to fix my dolmar 7900. now that's a beast of a ground saw w/ 20" bar, makes short work of big ole crane picks.

ran that 5105 today and I agree. It did seem like a nice solid saw but I just couldn't get used to the feel. doesn't cut as fast as a 260 even with a smaller bar

ran that 5105 today and I agree. It did seem like a nice solid saw but I just couldn't get used to the feel. doesn't cut as fast as a 260 even with a smaller bar

first day we had it the guy who went up in the bucket grabbed it "no I get the new saw your just gonna break it" it went up for one tree and never left the ground since:laugh:

HMMMM; trimmed some trees then got a call from a lady that's getting married in June and she was all upset her wedding invites got all missed up along with her photog she had lined up so I jumped in and made her wedding invites and took the job as her wedding photog and then worked on my project saw for a few hours just need one more piece and it will be finished and it's being shipped tomorrow from Cali :)

Busy day did many many different things :)

had this crazy old lady that was so worried about her sprinklers waste an hour of our time today we get that sorted out. dont worry the sprinkler head 40' from the tree will be fine... ... ... ask the neighbor if we can plywood our truck in on the edge of her property get set up old lady comes out freaking out about her neighbors sprinklers we checked the area found one and straddled it all was well but the damn lady made us take the truck out so the neighbor could turn the system on so we could "make sure" we tried explaining that we already drove over anything we missed so it really doesnt matter anymore and the insurance will cover it nope not good enough next yard with sprinklers I'm breaking each and every one of them!

had this crazy old lady that was so worried about her sprinklers waste an hour of our time today we get that sorted out. dont worry the sprinkler head 40' from the tree will be fine... ... ... ask the neighbor if we can plywood our truck in on the edge of her property get set up old lady comes out freaking out about her neighbors sprinklers we checked the area found one and straddled it all was well but the damn lady made us take the truck out so the neighbor could turn the system on so we could "make sure" we tried explaining that we already drove over anything we missed so it really doesnt matter anymore and the insurance will cover it nope not good enough next yard with sprinklers I'm breaking each and every one of them!

Thats why I would rather do it when no one is home... Unless they are totally freaking hot like my customer today... :)

My new Jeep

Went to look at a tree removal to quote today, and on my way home seen a old pickup for sale. Its a 1958 dodge 100 with a international diesel engine. They want $2,200 for it. I would love to take a old truck like this and tub it out, chop the roof, and oh yeah put a big mofo engine in it.

I just bought this Jeep, a '46 CJ2A on the title but it is on a Chevy K5 frame shortened to fit. No engine in it but I'm planning to put a 454 in my dump truck and put the 350 that's in there now into the jeep. I may have another 454 that could go in it too. Would that be too much engine for this classic piece of history, what do you guys think?

7301150676_69b5e44f55_z.jpg

~ the Aerialist ...

Last edited:
I just bought this Jeep, a '46 CJ2A on the title but it is on a Chevy K5 frame shortened to fit. No engine in it but I'm planning to put a 454 in my dump truck and put the 350 that's in there now into the jeep. I may have another 454 that could go in it too. Would that be too much engine for this classic piece of history, what do you guys think?

7301150676_69b5e44f55_z.jpg

~ the Aerialist ...

I think there is one born every minute.

A dam if it ain't a K5 frame, you is one crazy old coot.

It doesn't get any better than this ...

I think there is one born every minute... An dam if it ain't a K5 frame, you is one crazy old coot.

The Jeep part of it is older than me. The title alone is worth more than I paid for it. Even with hauling from Indianapolis I've got less than a grand in it. The rolling chassis is a '73 K5 blazer with about two feet cut out of it and all the correct mounting points for the jeep tub are there, welded into place, with a shortened driveshaft that mates to the Blazer four speed and transfer case. Any GM motor is a drop in deal, even a 454, which I just got a line on with a turbo 400 transmission, although I think I'll stick with the stick. It even has a tilt wheel.

This was a week of firsts for me, I got a cat out of a tree (it jumped) and today we took a fair sized Cherry tree out of a swimming pool. First time I ever used a chainsaw in the water. We all went swimming and made a pool party out of it. It only took half a day, even with a lunch break (I bought) and all the swimming around once we got the tree out. I used an engine lift to support the tree while we cut it up to firewood size and let them bob around in there like ice cubes.

~ the Aerialist ...

Last edited:
What have I done today? Same thing I've been doing for the last 2 weeks. Waiting on a driveshaft for a GMC C5500. A shop is building it, but first they have to mine the metals. Word to the wise, they don't make most of the parts anymore, particularly driveshafts. The parking brake malfunctioned on the highway with a chipper and load of chips. It got really loud and violent and then quiet, then kind of loud again. But the guy in the Jetta tailgating me suffered the consequences of heavy metal parts shed from the under carriage. So that made me smile. The Topkicks aren't awful trucks but with no parts they are kind of a pain.

Today?

Cleared out a whack of big birch and a couple of maples for a septic field and driveway extension to go in. The maple isn't great, but the birch is perfect; the guy got himself a sweet whack of firewood.

Have to go back tomorrow afternoon and finish a big poplar next to the house.

What have I done today? Same thing I've been doing for the last 2 weeks. Waiting on a driveshaft for a GMC C5500. A shop is building it, but first they have to mine the metals. Word to the wise, they don't make most of the parts anymore, particularly driveshafts. The parking brake malfunctioned on the highway with a chipper and load of chips. It got really loud and violent and then quiet, then kind of loud again. But the guy in the Jetta tailgating me suffered the consequences of heavy metal parts shed from the under carriage. So that made me smile. The Topkicks aren't awful trucks but with no parts they are kind of a pain.

That sucks, I was about to ask about those trucks here, don't hear much about them. Are the 6500's the same way as far as parts availability? Nice sized truck to have and stay under cdl and it's not a Ford!

That sucks, I was about to ask about those trucks here, don't hear much about them. Are the 6500's the same way as far as parts availability? Nice sized truck to have and stay under cdl and it's not a Ford!

There is a reason Big Orange dumps them at 40K-50K miles. The 6500 will be the same, no parts support since GM stopped making the trucks. The motors are sound at least, either the 366 or 454. If you have a good mechanic or are a mechanic, you might make it work. But if you buy one that runs, buy two more that don't for parts. In my mind, without parts support, their value has declined considerably. The new drive shaft alone is $2gs and 2 weeks, here at least. Say what you will about Fords, at least you can get parts.

There is a reason Big Orange dumps them at 40K-50K miles. The 6500 will be the same, no parts support since GM stopped making the trucks. The motors are sound at least, either the 366 or 454. If you have a good mechanic or are a mechanic, you might make it work. But if you buy one that runs, buy two more that don't for parts. In my mind, without parts support, their value has declined considerably. The new drive shaft alone is $2gs and 2 weeks, here at least. Say what you will about Fords, at least you can get parts.

There is a place around here that will build you a new drive shaft in a week for under $500. They might even be able to fix your old one for like $80

we put in a request awhile ago for the big O to come clear a set of lines so we could do a removal there was only a limb or two that were an issue but they grew clear through the wires and stuck out the other side at least 10 feet, today they call and say there is no danger and there not going to do anything. WTF??? the tree is growing clear through the lines and your saying its not a hazard? its not like its a service drop its the main line

Working with idiots. Is there anything worse? Just got in, its about 7:15....would have been home hours ago if only. Chest is paining like Ive been punched, gotta calm the fck down.

Hit three job sites today... Got to go back and grind a stump on one in the morning. Heavy rain is supposed to be moving in and I am still a little behind on my schedule. Worked too many hours today for too little money... I push too hard sometimes. Really, I make more money than most people I know and associate with but I am still never satisfied... Wonder what I will ever do if I ever actually get where I am trying to go... Makes me wonder if life is not about the destination but the journey. :)

we put in a request awhile ago for the big O to come clear a set of lines so we could do a removal there was only a limb or two that were an issue but they grew clear through the wires and stuck out the other side at least 10 feet, today they call and say there is no danger and there not going to do anything. WTF??? the tree is growing clear through the lines and your saying its not a hazard? its not like its a service drop its the main line

Guess you better get your 'man-suit' out of the cleaner's!
Jeff :msp_tongue:

Latest posts

Back