whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Half the time I'm just busting your chops, the other half I'm probably drunk. Don't mind me!

I have over ten years experience as an arborist im a c.a. and never power sheared a tree. I have nor the time or patience to explain why this is so wrong to a treeworker. I do stupid/questionable **** all the time I just dont post it on the web.

All you would of had to say is that they will be calling you back a lot!
Jeff:msp_tongue:

Purple leaf plums are a pain. I've sheared them, I've pruned them, I've pruned them to restore after shearing. They watersprout if you look at them wrong driving down the street. Plus they are susceptible to just about every insect and disease out there.

I'm a CA but my attitude is very pragmatic. If it was sheared in the past I'll shear it again. If it wasn't sheared, then I'll reduce it using drop crotch but I won't shear if it hasn't been done previously (unless someone is creating a hedge). To my eye, a sheared tree is aesthetically jarring, I prefer a tree that has some texture and undulations as would be expected in an unsheared tree.

Given that shearing was the prescription, you did a good job. Hedging out of a bucket is hard on the back.

Those plums would probably last a little longer if they weren't sheared, the tree has to use a lot of its stored energy in generating all then new watersprouts and shoots.

Purple leaf plums are a pain. I've sheared them, I've pruned them, I've pruned them to restore after shearing. They watersprout if you look at them wrong driving down the street. Plus they are susceptible to just about every insect and disease out there.

I'm a CA but my attitude is very pragmatic. If it was sheared in the past I'll shear it again. If it wasn't sheared, then I'll reduce it using drop crotch but I won't shear if it hasn't been done previously (unless someone is creating a hedge). To my eye, a sheared tree is aesthetically jarring, I prefer a tree that has some texture and undulations as would be expected in an unsheared tree.

Given that shearing was the prescription, you did a good job. Hedging out of a bucket is hard on the back.

Those plums would probably last a little longer if they weren't sheared, the tree has to use a lot of its stored energy in generating all then new watersprouts and shoots.

Well those trees are well over 12" Caliber and clean and clear . Takes about 20 minutes a tree , tops and bottom , no cankers , no scald . Nothing , well I am lying one has been dying off over the last 3 years , can't sell to shake apple scab .

He doesn't get under my skin , your right about there time , although I can squeeze 15 if I keep tight , now they are no different then a shrub , you hit em with hedge trimmers for god sakes , these guys just need something to seem educated about , and besides I haven't had a cigarette since Sunday night I quit cold turkey from a pack a day to nothing so right about now I am super irritable ! Prolly mostly my fault for just not ignoring stupidity

Shearing trees isnt my thing,but I dont do much commercial work. Honestlly guys like you with everyday real work experience are good by me. I have several friends who are arbs. and we give eachother **** any chance we get. Has always made me step up my game. Sometimes I forget about how some guys are a bit tender.next time I wont comment on your work unless its positive. Prolly will be awhile buddy.

Don't let that guy get under your skin about shearing Purple Leaf Plums. The tree is only good for about 10 years any ca knows that. After that you should should start thinking about replacing it. The tree looks great. Wonder what he thinks about topiary, espalier, pollarding are these ca no no's?

I have worked on several thundercloud plums that are 40 plus years old. (Never sheared)what you referenced is done through time by hand. these methods of pruning are lower maintenence and typically for fruit production. With that said I really dont care what anyone does. I just do things the right way and call it like I see it. Works for me.

Dropped 4 small dead trees to finish a job from yesterday, everything stayed on site. Left with a $50 tip. Took down a rotten tulip, and a small sugar maple for a friend at his place, he provided lunch which was nice. Saw a hacker doing a job that I had bid on earlier in the year... I know I put a low number on it, I could only imagine what he did it for. Crappy thing is I bid it for a HOA.. and this guy as well as his employees are all low lives. Got a call from a friend today, he had put a bid in for the local school district for pruning and cabling a bunch of trees... a week of work is what he said, and apparently one of the prerequisites for bidding was a licensed arborist... apparently he saw one of the local "tree guys" in there doing the job today and was less than pleased.

Hate Cottonwoods

I've been out sick for a week with some intestinal flu. My first day back to work I spend the whole day in a tree. This Cottonwood is 85 or 90 feet. The pictures are taken on a hill above grade. Its on an eroding hillside, and the base is rotten and hollow. It didn't help that the wind was doing 30 mile gusts through out the day. We craned what we could on the back side on the hill, but the KB crane is only 60 ft. max.
It at a historic ranch and the landscapeing below it has taking 60 years to perfect. It's a zero damage job. I got one side down and most of the limbs on the back side. Some were 40ft plus long, and hollow from old bad pruning cuts. I spent 8 hours in it today, and tomorrow I'll finish the front. Were zip lining most the limbs on that side, and its going pretty fast. I'm climbing up there with so much gear, ropes, slings, pulleys, and what not, even simple movements are a mess of getting twisted up in ropes or slings catching on stuff.
Now because the tree is so off balanced I'm working off the boom of the crane. We still have 7 more removals, but there cake walks after this cottonwood. What a way to start the week.
I tryed to rip cut one long limb so it wouldn't shock load the crane. It was 25 or so feet above the boom, and where I had the cable set. It barbered chaired almost taking my head off. It's a creepy tree.View attachment 308394View attachment 308395

Before and after of a trim job today. Admittedly not my forte, this sweet lady owns several dozen properties, so we do almost anything ask. Any advice/improvements trim-wise? Thank you. View attachment 308389
View attachment 308390

Looks pretty good. A couple of things caught my eye: some dead wood in the tree on the right; the three trees on the left have some visible crotches that look pretty tight - double check for included bark and if necessary lighten one stem to reduce the probability of peel out.

It's probably just the vantage point, but the thinning doesn't look consistent. You may want to look at it again to make sure the density and texture are consistent. Many others are going to #### on that concept, but look at the trees from your customer's eye. They see overall shape, density and texture. Also look at the trees from where your customers are going to look at it from eg front door, front window, walkway etc. Trees will look differently from different angles, you want it to look perfect from the spot the customer is likely to look at it.

Had my butt handed to me yesterday, medium norway maple, maybe 60ft, small LZ, never ever touched,so thick that you couldn't see thru it, everything snagging on everything. Nothing hard or complicated, just a total pain. Super tight crotches with those A hole middle fingers coming out of all of the center's of the crotches, just a beyatch. Was tossing a sling and biner around a branch, got caught (of course it did) Got pissed and yanked on it hard, shot straight back at me and hit me in the eye, had my Boas on so it just split my eyebrow open. Can we say Karma! SON OF A........... Was so glad to get down and lay the thing out, but trunk was split (rut row, I climbed a split trunk, wonder how i did it) so when I do my back cut, I was watching for the back half to pop off, had the right lean, I'll be damn, it stayed and sat down on my bar on one side, about a inch, par for the course, got it out and pushed it off, found that black gold worm dirt filling the center and a weird internal burl that connected the back half to the front, had I raised the bar about a inch, I would have missed it, PHUCK!! Also found those BIG MONSTER larvae, think they must be cicada's. Tons of hand sawing wit da Zubat, aaaaaah! Hate those jobs that just fight you from the begging to the end. Plus it was pretty humid and of course there was no other trees to block the sun once I started bucking it down to a safe drop height, so I was soaked to the bone, glasses foggin over all day. Got home wife had gourmet lazyanya ready (Stouffer's frozen tray, Italian style) ate and crashed by 6, woke up at 3 am, still tired and sore.

So today........... IAINTDOINGCHIT!

Did have some sweet runs though, boys getting pretty good at reading the ropes as it goes, flipped one over the house back through a hole in the canopy I made, told them that it will probably get stuck if they don't let it run, break it and let it run again. Steven was on the rope and did it perfectly, sent it backwards thru the tree, to the backside, away from the house, cut end towards the gate, couldn't have gone better. I just look at him and smile, don't say anythng (afraid of the jinx)he is grinning ear to ear, look back at him a bit later, still smiling!

Boys will be splitting fools today.

I have worked on several thundercloud plums that are 40 plus years old. (Never sheared)what you referenced is done through time by hand. these methods of pruning are lower maintenence and typically for fruit production. With that said I really dont care what anyone does. I just do things the right way and call it like I see it. Works for me.

A 40 year old plum ? For sure had a unicorn shading underneath it ! I must say ...... You are now completely full of #### in my book , next time your standing next to the yeti of ornamental trees take a pic of it .... God knows we don't need anymore of your log trailer :hmm3grin2orange:

Looks pretty good. A couple of things caught my eye: some dead wood in the tree on the right; the three trees on the left have some visible crotches that look pretty tight - double check for included bark and if necessary lighten one stem to reduce the probability of peel out.

It's probably just the vantage point, but the thinning doesn't look consistent. You may want to look at it again to make sure the density and texture are consistent. Many others are going to #### on that concept, but look at the trees from your customer's eye. They see overall shape, density and texture. Also look at the trees from where your customers are going to look at it from eg front door, front window, walkway etc. Trees will look differently from different angles, you want it to look perfect from the spot the customer is likely to look at it.

Thanks for takin a look BC. I am going back this morning to get those dead limbs and have another look from the patio. The client doesn't live here, she just ask to lift high enough not to hit the mower man in the face :)

Well, they said it was going to rain today... so I planned to do nothing. Hit the bank, got a haircut, scheduled a front end alignment for my dodge. Had to take the roof off, so the guy who hauls logs for me helped me take it off with his log truck. Looked at 1 job, have 2 more to check out tomorrow... thank goodness. Got 4 new tires for the Dodge... I had got prices of up to $400 each.. plus mounting. Went into 2 places today... 1 where I scheduled the front end alignment; $365 / tire + disposal and tax, and another was $299 / tire + tax. Had them do it on the spot... not that I wanted to, but it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Well, they said it was going to rain today... so I planned to do nothing. Hit the bank, got a haircut, scheduled a front end alignment for my dodge. Had to take the roof off, so the guy who hauls logs for me helped me take it off with his log truck. Looked at 1 job, have 2 more to check out tomorrow... thank goodness. Got 4 new tires for the Dodge... I had got prices of up to $400 each.. plus mounting. Went into 2 places today... 1 where I scheduled the front end alignment; $365 / tire + disposal and tax, and another was $299 / tire + tax. Had them do it on the spot... not that I wanted to, but it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Love your post's!
Jeff :rock:

This quitting smoking thing is going swimmingly , i freaked out after dinner and destroyed that area between myself and my neighbors yard basically cut all his in unmaintained #### down with the intention of planting a green fence , I am tired of looking at his jacked up yard , a picture of my wife navigating the 101s that are about as awkward as they come .... Shearing rocks plants all of it View attachment 308555

Last edited:
Back