whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
questi owne for you more experienced snow guys...last snow on this large convent property I do (week ago) it was first warm and raining (38 ish). Then as forecast it dropped temp quickly and snowed a lot. My plan was to plow the snow when it started as it was slushy before ice could set up then go back and salt.

Well while plowing the ice set up esp. in a couple of shaded spots and then the snow covered it and the salt didn't work there but rather just pitted and I had to go over and over it for days until I saw pavement with help from sun at 20 degrees f and repeated salt.

Sooooo...today I altered my game plan and it rained all day hard at about 38 degrees with again a drop off the cliff temp forecast and I just hit that mf'er just BEFORE it started to snow (9 pm) and temps plummeted. On the way home I saw my town maint. guy salting and this made me feel good as they are the best in N. Cinci at keeping perfect streets.

Question is...I spread mass salt...temps now have dropped from 38 to maybe 24 degrees f and heading to minus 2 by morning...I keep the ice from setting up ...for a while?? As the salt only works to 15 degrees and is still h20 when the big cold hits then it don't work and I wasted time?? Posed to snow later and I plan to plow but will there be ice under it?

Once it's frozen to the point that it will remain and not thaw, sand it and deal with it. Don't leave the ice as is as someone will slip on it. Sand it for traction and as time goes on and the temps warm, the ice will melt but till then, sand.

Merry Christmas assholes.
zyru2u9u.jpg
Anyone ever mention you look like the "Kracken" guy on Axemen, the guy that works for Dreadknot waterlogging?

Once it's frozen to the point that it will remain and not thaw, sand it and deal with it. Don't leave the ice as is as someone will slip on it. Sand it for traction and as time goes on and the temps warm, the ice will melt but till then, sand.

Thanks for all responses. Today I upgraded with some "Blue Ice Melter" I think it is called which like PDQDL mentioned has calcium chloride blended in with a more refined salt. It spreads and funnels into the auger better too (2x cost tho). So I got all the walking areas to de ice. But I still have some roadway areas that are so deep with ice from drainage that no salt will work and like you said...time to sand tomorrow (I have no restrictions on what I do here and I sure as hell ain't climbing no trees at minus 15 degrees f (without windchill) tomorrow and it Will BE WINDY.

Wonder if Kitty litter or absorbant would work as it would be lighter per bag? Might be too large particles to go thru the spreader auger tho? Might blow away too.

Thanks for all responses. Today I upgraded with some "Blue Ice Melter" I think it is called which like PDQDL mentioned has calcium chloride blended in with a more refined salt. It spreads and funnels into the auger better too (2x cost tho). So I got all the walking areas to de ice. But I still have some roadway areas that are so deep with ice from drainage that no salt will work and like you said...time to sand tomorrow (I have no restrictions on what I do here and I sure as hell ain't climbing no trees at minus 15 degrees f (without windchill) tomorrow and it Will BE WINDY.

Wonder if Kitty litter or absorbant would work as it would be lighter per bag? Might be too large particles to go thru the spreader auger tho? Might blow away too.
You running bags through the salter ? God what are you paying a bag I hope not more then 6/7 bucks a bag .

$4.97 for 50# Mortons. Blue stuff 2x...but it just gets passed on. Bill at $20. bag plus $100. hr and $25. for Blue. Do you run sand thru your spreader? Maybe a mix?

$4.97 for 50# Mortons. Blue stuff 2x...but it just gets passed on. Bill at $20. bag plus $100. hr and $25. for Blue. Do you run sand thru your spreader? Maybe a mix?
Nope no never sand , the blue is just an Iditarod that there's product down , not really a certain type , it's dyed . I run coarse through mine I can run bulk or bag .

Nope no never sand , the blue is just an Iditarod that there's product down , not really a certain type , it's dyed . I run coarse through mine I can run bulk or bag .
I know but this stuff got calcium chloride mixed in and that is why the extra cost.

Guy I work with at this convent both he and his wife run dog sleds in the UP in Mich in races often against each other. He said he has slept out in this weather. I tend to believe him.

Back