whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The motor itself was like $2200. And they said it's like a10 hr install. You must have gotten a Super deal. Dingo 420 with the 20hp kohler?
He didn't get a super deal, he paid a fair price. You're getting hosed!

So i was wondering about my current chip truck. When I am driving down the road, and I hit a set of bumps in just the right way, the steering wheel starts shaking, the brakes start shaking and well the whole front end of the truck shakes pretty violently. I have to let off the gas and coast until i get below 25mph and everything goes back to normal. I was wondering if anyone on here has ever had that issue. The truck is a 1996 gmc top kick c6000 with a gas 454 in it. I thought that the steering gear might be the cause but i want to be sure before I start buying parts.

I am digging that!!
On your mini platform, what is the purpose of going the additional width?
Do you use that space for something else?
The reason I ask is that gap between the tool box together with the extra space on the mini platform looks to be close to 12" on my phone... Would that space be better suited for more toolbox, or more chip bed?...

I am on the hunt ;)

And again, Sweet Rig

There is a 4" between the truck cab and the platform body, this was a mistake on my part for this truck. On my old isuzu nqr (that I had the platform designed for originally), I had 4" pvc tubes mounted to the front of the platform to store poles (polesaws and pruning poles). Those tubes are still on the platform, on the international, but we do not use them...so I wish i had removed them and slid everything front, and therefore have a shorter truck.

The high section of the platform is a plywood/ramp box. It is about a foot wide....I can put in 5 sheets of 3/8 plywood and my 10,000 lbs 7.5 feet long ramps (I think I can put in 12 sheets without the ramps) . The loading area of the platform is 4' wide. True this is wider than the mini needs, but it is a area we use at times for other things. Plus, I rather not have it much tighter for loading purposes, it gives some leave way. There isn't really a gap between the platform and the dump body/toolbox.

BTW - This is a small clip from our crane job today, and why I love having a mini

So i was wondering about my current chip truck. When I am driving down the road, and I hit a set of bumps in just the right way, the steering wheel starts shaking, the brakes start shaking and well the whole front end of the truck shakes pretty violently. I have to let off the gas and coast until i get below 25mph and everything goes back to normal. I was wondering if anyone on here has ever had that issue. The truck is a 1996 gmc top kick c6000 with a gas 454 in it. I thought that the steering gear might be the cause but i want to be sure before I start buying parts.

We had a 1990 GMC chip truck do that and it turned out to be a worn out front end.

There is a 4" between the truck cab and the platform body, this was a mistake on my part for this truck. On my old isuzu nqr (that I had the platform designed for originally), I had 4" pvc tubes mounted to the front of the platform to store poles (polesaws and pruning poles). Those tubes are still on the platform, on the international, but we do not use them...so I wish i had removed them and slid everything front, and therefore have a shorter truck.

The high section of the platform is a plywood/ramp box. It is about a foot wide....I can put in 5 sheets of 3/8 plywood and my 10,000 lbs 7.5 feet long ramps (I think I can put in 12 sheets without the ramps) . The loading area of the platform is 4' wide. True this is wider than the mini needs, but it is a area we use at times for other things. Plus, I rather not have it much tighter for loading purposes, it gives some leave way. There isn't really a gap between the platform and the dump body/toolbox.

BTW - This is a small clip from our crane job today, and why I love having a mini

Is there any reason why you left that log long? Cut the thing in 2 or 3 pieces, throw them out of the way and move on. All that bulldozing looks like it's hard on the grapple.

Some trucks have a tracking bar in the front end ,that could be it, Sounds like something up there in worn out. Jack it up and start checking to see what is loose.

ok i will start pulling parts then
Could be lots of things or most likely a combination of several wore out parts. Track bar bushings, kingpins, tie rods, steering dampener shock (not sure if those trucks have one), u joints in the steering shaft, ect...

Is there any reason why you left that log long? Cut the thing in 2 or 3 pieces, throw them out of the way and move on. All that bulldozing looks like it's hard on the grapple.

We removed 2 large Tulip poplars with a crane, and directly behind him (blocking the driveway) was the only place he could lay the wood and brush. So I had to move them out of the driveway and off of the road. This was only the 3rd piece I pushed, by the second tree I changed how I did it. I stopped dragging the grapple on the road, and just used the dogs below the grapple mount plate to push.

We were trying to leave the logs as long as possible, because homeowner is hoping to sell the logs...even if he doesnt get a good price it is better than paying us to cut them up and remove them ourselves.

I drove a truck like that for another company, turns out all it was was one of the rims was caked with mud throwing the wheel off balance. When it shook it ****in shook!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought you made a shoe out of some branches! Used to throw some Sassafras roots under my seat when we had to take them out.

Have a customer that I've done lots of work for hagle me down on my price. This is the same customer TMD helped trim some old Lindens by cutting off old branch collars. I caved in because it's winter work but I really just want to tell him how insulted I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

picked up 40 cords of blow down big tooth popple from a person in need.. had a strong inline wind storm come through here in July that layed down popple with a dbh of 14"/18" an 8 sticks to a tree length... blew down across the owners entrance road with half of the cordage on both sides... should be an easy access with a good lay of the wood! leave the brush, just need to clear the road! the owner gets the better deal an accessible road and I get the costs of $100.00 for all the timber? to bad the popple has a better fetching price for firewood.

Climbed two 60ft sugar maples for hardwood and used the bucket on another sugar maple hardwood right on the shores of lake Geneva Wi.

Back