whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So when you look at a job how do you come up with your numbers? You just put a price on a tree or what? I brake it down into time. Don't get me wrong I will often scribble a price down on my bid sheet for what I think the tree would cost, but next to it I put down how many hours it will take with x amount of guys. Sometimes my price for the tree is a little higher than my time estimate, and I will then adjust accordingly. I will admit I need to up the $ on bucket work. Yesterday we removed a large Birch that I would put $850 on, my estimator put $650 on it. It took under 3 hours with 3 guys but still. So I do see both sides of it. I lean towards the man hour method because I find it more constant, and it's very hard to lose money that way if you know your crew well.

I've been only narrow it down to days and you are talking hours?

A friend invited me over for 420 last evening, its been awhile, I was up all night obsessing about dumpsters. Trying to find the right company to do a monthly thing that can get over the 10 ton bridge. I called a few companies, the one that services our house is so big I could never get to talk to anybody, a smaller company hung up when I said " construction debris", another can get over the bridge for the right price but won't let me keep the can.

You lean toward the man hour method because you are far from having my ability to set in a price on the fly based on what you think the job is really worth regardless of hours and are afraid of losing money. It took me years to develop a gut for what I believed we could really get for any particular job. Plus, if you are savvy, you know you can bury competition financially if they are stuck with the hourly rate deal. I looked at a job that will essentially take only five hours to do this past Saturday. But, it's a difficult job with very little access and I figured a way to rig it that I believe my "competition" wouldn't pick up on. I bid it $3,500....so that's what...$700 an hour for four guys. The caretaker of the property sent me an email this morning with a signed contract and said set it up and get it done.

To each there own bud, I'm glad your out there killin it. Truly I am. I enjoy people succeeding.

New roof on the shop today (finally). Took something like five or six hours. I think there was like eight guys working on it.
Need another load of 3/4" processed to spruce up the driveway next, then make another attempt at the lawn and things will be looking good for the season. The MDS likes.

IMG_20160422_120231_173.jpg

Sometimes times are good sometimes they are alright sometimes they suck... today 4 man crew kicked ass and grabbed about 6 grand with a bucket and chipper

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

If my crew made that in a day you'd bet I'd be taking them to a dinner, beers, and a massage parlor after work.

So when you look at a job how do you come up with your numbers? You just put a price on a tree or what? I brake it down into time. Don't get me wrong I will often scribble a price down on my bid sheet for what I think the tree would cost, but next to it I put down how many hours it will take with x amount of guys. Sometimes my price for the tree is a little higher than my time estimate, and I will then adjust accordingly. I will admit I need to up the $ on bucket work. Yesterday we removed a large Birch that I would put $850 on, my estimator put $650 on it. It took under 3 hours with 3 guys but still. So I do see both sides of it. I lean towards the man hour method because I find it more constant, and it's very hard to lose money that way if you know your crew well.

You lean toward the man hour method because you are far from having my ability to set in a price on the fly based on what you think the job is really worth regardless of hours and are afraid of losing money. It took me years to develop a gut for what I believed we could really get for any particular job. Plus, if you are savvy, you know you can bury competition financially if they are stuck with the hourly rate deal. I looked at a job that will essentially take only five hours to do this past Saturday. But, it's a difficult job with very little access and I figured a way to rig it that I believe my "competition" wouldn't pick up on. I bid it $3,500....so that's what...$700 an hour for four guys. The caretaker of the property sent me an email this morning with a signed contract and said set it up and get it done.

This is why I am glad that we do not do residential,
It is easy to use a gut feeling when bidding that way, I know, that is how the smaller company's do it here.
But, your gut is gonna have a hard time coming up with a good number that generates profit's if you use that gut feeling to bid on 141 pines to remove in a large HOA and they are spread out in a city that requires permits for each location.
The crew gets paid by the hour, those hours are a criteria in my bid.
So, I would use my gut on a small job, but do my homework on a large job.
ps,,we actually bid on those 141 pines last week,, we will see.
Jeff

Latest posts

Back