whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that if I’m still alive I’ll be be running a crew or two at that age. I like going around, talking to the different customers, vendors, etc. I guess it just depends on my health, and if I’m able to find and retain quality people to do the actual work.

I’ll be cutting trees until I’m dead probably. Never going to remove myself from the field entirely. Not unless some unforeseen condition forces me to do so. I guess I’m just old school and this is what I do. Be kinda lost without it.

I can certainly understand Zale’s situation, though.. A good friend of mine (early 50’s and the real deal, for sure) took a job with his town after decades of being an all around awesome tree worker (dot or something) and seems quite happy last time I talked to him. I’m sure in that situation it gets to the point where enough is enough already. Something to be said for knowing when it’s time to get out.

Tom is not a treeman. That Zale guy doesn't sound like he ever was either.

Up til the covid hit I played 2 or more city level Power A racquetball leagues (1 1/2 hour matches) a week from 1975 along with daily tree work which I love. At 69 I won our club's Power A (top) league with 14 of the best players around Cincinnati in it playing each 2 times to complete the league. I've won numerous tournaments as well. I have not been back since the covid hit since I found way less pain was the result. Not sure I am quitting entirely, playing since I miss the competition but I still work out daily on my Airdyne bike and lift. I may consider retiring at 80...but I may not as I can also manage and get out of the labor easily. We receive health as a by product of our job if done judiciously. Keep that in mind. I am an example. If your goal has been getting out then you likely aren't very good at what you do (now or just ever) and obviously time to quit. No passion= poor performance imo.

Tom is not a treeman. That Zale guy doesn't sound like he ever was either.

Up til the covid hit I played 2 or more city level Power A racquetball leagues (1 1/2 hour matches) a week from 1975 along with daily tree work which I love. At 69 I won our club's Power A (top) league with 14 of the best players around Cincinnati in it playing each 2 times to complete the league. I've won numerous tournaments as well. I have not been back since the covid hit since I found way less pain was the result. Not sure I am quitting entirely, playing since I miss the competition but I still work out daily on my Airdyne bike and lift. I may consider retiring at 80...but I may not as I can also manage and get out of the labor easily. We receive health as a by product of our job if done judiciously. Keep that in mind. I am an example. If your goal has been getting out then you likely aren't very good at what you do (now or just ever) and obviously time to quit. No passion= poor performance imo.

I had a good go for 27 years climbing. You keep on keeping on.

Yes, the umbilical looks like bit of a hassle to climb with.

Love my 192, 'ported' it by dropping it out of tree, leaves the 201's behind now.

Have the 160T, but just doesn't have enough poke, want something with more for the 'noise sensitive' jobs.
192 is a great saw. I have 2 that go out daily with my 151 and 200, groundman gets one 193. The difference in the 193 is the crank case bolt is based in plastic and if you strip it out you can toss the saw in a garbage can. Pro saw's bolt is based in metal and can be replaced. But the 150/151 is surgical and the weight to power is incredible. I bought my groundman a 150 and he paid half and after a year (2 years ago) it was his saw. He brings it in daily with his water and food and hardhat, etc. Keeps it sharp and maintained.

Anyone have feedback on the Husky T540i?

Don't have a single Husky motor in 30 or so saws, but the 540i caught my eye for being a bit of a 'game changer'.
We just got 10 of the newest ones, 16" bars, the guys are really impressed compared to the ones we got a year ago. We use the a lot.
JeffHusky saws.jpgHusky saws.jpg

dave, you are correct, i am not a freeman, never claimed to be. for the last 30-35 years doing crane tree work has been an increasing part of our work load such that we have two cranes involved with tree work almost daily. we work with all different levels of treemen from the excellent to the learners. we try to get along with them all. it can be challenging.

dave, you are correct, i am not a freeman, never claimed to be. for the last 30-35 years doing crane tree work has been an increasing part of our work load such that we have two cranes involved with tree work almost daily. we work with all different levels of treemen from the excellent to the learners. we try to get along with them all. it can be challenging.
You may consider this bragging but I taught the crane owners (not all) in Cinci tree crane work while you are likely teaching some treemen tree crane work. It is not that complicated but can be very dangerous obviously esp to a novice. I moved my tree business from western New Jersey in 1983. I had been doing crane work since 1973 (50 years now). NObody did it here when I moved here to marry a hs sweetheart. I essentially INVENTED tree crane work. I likely did not invent it for any of you...but I did invent it for me. There were no scripts like now.

Like I said before, I will use anything I can when I am fighting with someone like anyone else will. Again you will consider this bragging but just the truth. I one time counted and have been in nearly a hundred bar fights, street fights, barrack fights, parking lot fights, campus fights, football field fights, war zone fights etc etc. When I am losing or get in a compromising position my out was always to get a headlock with one arm and gouge the guy's eye almost out of his head. This worked every time. One they were disabled, two they did not want it to happen again and knew what they were dealing with.

I would not be fighting with you were it not for Casadei and him bringing you up with reverence when he does crane work. I know you are a good guy. People say and do things they regret all the time as I do and no one is perfect. I'd be happy to make up with you and I know you are and were a person that does sophisticated tree work. We're lucky to have you here.

We just got 10 of the newest ones, 16" bars, the guys are really impressed compared to the ones we got a year ago. We use the a lot.
JeffView attachment 934369View attachment 934369
Those things are in the ms200 range replacements. A bit of a boat anchor for dedicated "small top handle". They are a good tool for taking out bigger diameter stuff before the next niche saw, say ms 261 ish. But to have to use them for everything is inadvisable in my opinion. Most of my day is spent slicing and dicing, cutting while holding and tossing and then I'd have a 200 sent up. Ms193/194 is almost interchangeable with the 150...almost. But to slash all over while suffering no fatigue and make small tight pruning cuts...the ms151 range is indispensable imo.

would you do an entire removal with a 150? done some with my 194 and even that felt like a bit much for the little guy

ill get a 200T off ebay in a few years for the bigger removals
I have probably owned 20 ms200's over the years. I now have 2 perfect ones. But yeah sometimes they sit in the truck as the 150 can take out most canopies before slamming the trunk or whatever. Once you own one you never go back imo.

ive been looking at the panther 1/4 pitch stuff, really seems like a good idea for the smaller low powered saws
We got a bad batch of 1/4" 12" chains from them, about 20, but probably will go back to them when needed. Only place to buy a non homeowner (no double rakers) chain that size.

JeffView attachment 934369View attachment 934369

16" bar seems a lot on those, allthough looks like it would balance the 'back end heavy' of the battery?

I run 14" on all the climbing saws, except the little Stihl battery, 16" on 261 & 380.

When you say the crew's are impressed with the recent model, what have been the main things they like about them?

Latest posts

Back