What 18" chain is best for a 361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fidiro

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I currently have a green link safety chain that came with the saw I purchased used. Previous owner hit something that took out the point on every tooth on right side. In order to get that tip back on each tooth I needed to dig in pretty deep and not as much on the left side, did it all with a 13/64 file by hand. Probably about 20 strokes or more on each right side tooth and only about 5 on left. I still need to cut down the rakers to .30

I don't know much about chains and would like to know what chain would make this saw cut the fastest. I want to keep it 18" although I've read some use this model with 25" but I have the 440 for that task and don't need another 20" saw.

I see there is a different chain on fleebay that is different then the one I have, its a Stihl 18" Full Chisel Aggressive Saw Chain 33RSC-66. Would this chain be the best cutter for the saw?

Is there another brand that would do a better job then the one I have or should I stick with stihl? I'm only using it to cut firewood that is mostly maple, oak, poplar, ash mix

Thanks for your opinions.

I'm thinking a square ground chain would cut the fastest, at least initially. The folks that use Stihl chain are pretty firm in their support of it. I've had good luck with Baileys' Woodland Pro.
I'm usually not in a hurry when I cut though.

I always turn to the web for parts but should take a ride to my local dealer. I just didn't like when I was in the need for two circlips earlier this year and this dealer didn't have them and couldn't get them so I turned to the net when the dealer is only a couple miles from me.

I guess I just need to confirm for now what the best chain would be. I'll call on Monday to see if he stocks the 33RSC, if not I'll order the one from fleebay.

It is a big mistake to file much more on one side of the chain than on the other, unless it is about a tooth or two.
Crooked cutting will result. :msp_wink:

Stihl RSC is fine. :msp_smile:

It is a big mistake to file much more on one side of the chain than on the other, unless it is about a tooth or two.
Crooked cutting will result. :msp_wink:

Stihl RSC is fine. :msp_smile:

Thanks for the tips. I have not taken the saw out yet and was and am planning on filing down the other side closer to same lengths. I filed it yesterday and if I remember correctly one side is about 9.20mm and other is about 8.60 so I have some adjusting to do to both the teeth and the rakers.

Being that this is a safety chain should I bring the rakers down to lower than .30?

I guess so far I'm getting the RSC for a second chain. I don't have any others in this size.

Being that this is a safety chain should I bring the rakers down to lower than .30?

I guess so far I'm getting the RSC for a second chain. I don't have any others in this size.

Always keep some spare chain!

But I don't really understand why you want the rakers lower on the safety chain?

I have also had excellent results with RSC. I wouldnt go any lower on your rakers.

RSC for clean wood cutting and RMC for dirt or mud covered cutting Sir.

:msp_thumbup: :hmm3grin2orange: :ices_rofl:

RSC for clean wood cutting and RMC for dirt or mud covered cutting Sir.

:msp_thumbup: :hmm3grin2orange: :ices_rofl:

Thanks for showing another type of chain to look for. I guess the RSC will be good for what I have to cut but I actually have some that is in the dirt right now but will not get bucked any time soon, I don't think. I'll price the RMC and if not too bad I'll get it just to have in case I do decide to make dirt cuts.

Always keep some spare chain!

But I don't really understand why you want the rakers lower on the safety chain?

Thanks, I have 10 spares for the 20" bars, 3 for the 25" and only have one 18" mounted on the 361 so that is why I'm looking to see what would be best to get as a spare.

Don't the rakers on safety chains do the same thing as any other chain? If too high cutters don't cut, no? Again, I'm just learning more about types of chains as we speak.

Theres a few things to remember when filing your chain. One is to keep all your teeth the exact same length. This takes practice but your chainsaw will never cut right unless you have equal length on the teeth. Always file the shortest tooth, then file the others to the same length.
Always keep your filing angle the same, usually 30° on the top plate angle. Also, make sure your rakers are kept filed and even. A good depth gauge will help you with this. It's really hard to lower them by eye and not end up with a jumpy chain.

Stihl RMC and RSC both will make your saw cut alot better. Just make sure your chain has the yellow on the box instead of green.

I'll be picking up a 33RSC-66 later today from my local dealer. It's $2 more than one shipped from fleabay but I'll have it ready for cutting today or tomorrow.

Thanks for all the tips. And the idea of using the safety chain for the dirty stuff sounds good.

Thanks for showing another type of chain to look for. I guess the RSC will be good for what I have to cut but I actually have some that is in the dirt right now but will not get bucked any time soon, I don't think. I'll price the RMC and if not too bad I'll get it just to have in case I do decide to make dirt cuts.

If you have a need for both, buy both - you need some backup chain anyway!

I'll try it out first with the RSC and need be I'll swing by to get another. This dealer is only about 4 miles from me so I could always swing by when I'm in the area if I see I can use another backup.

Back