What a find!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FourMoCajuns

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently posted a desire to locate an older large chainsaw for a project with my 13 yr old son on a local classified forum. I was contacted by a guy with an 028 AV Farmboss for $25. Well I know this is hardly a large saw but today I picked it up. After fresh gas, a new air filter (which costs more than the saw did), a little carb tweaking, bar dressing and chain sharpening this "project saw" is done! It starts on the first pull! I am not kidding this thing runs superbly.
Now the questions...
Anyone have the specs for this saw? Hp, wt, etc...?
Also the new air filter has two metal screws to hold it in place and the outer cover has one also. On the older filter it only had one screw and the cover screw did double duty to secure the cover and half of the filter. What's up with that?

Thanks
Chris

congrats chris. the028 and my 372xp are as close to bullet proof saws as ive run accross. the saw is about47cc wt12.5. perfoms best with 16 inch bar and full chisel in clean hardwood wood.if its as good as u say, it will hold up to day after day cutting.
u really have one of the best work saws, imo. good luck with it

Wow, nice deal. $25 is almost free. Be careful, though, it may be cheap, but it is still a dangerous machine in the wrong hands. Having said that, have fun! Nothing builds a stronger bond between father and son like operating an infernally loud internal combustion engine!

FourMoCajuns said:
I recently posted a desire to locate an older large chainsaw for a project with my 13 yr old son on a local classified forum. I was contacted by a guy with an 028 AV Farmboss for $25. Well I know this is hardly a large saw but today I picked it up. After fresh gas, a new air filter (which costs more than the saw did), a little carb tweaking, bar dressing and chain sharpening this "project saw" is done! It starts on the first pull! I am not kidding this thing runs superbly.
Now the questions...
Also the new air filter has two metal screws to hold it in place and the outer cover has one also. On the older filter it only had one screw and the cover screw did double duty to secure the cover and half of the filter. What's up with that?

Thanks
Chris

028 for 25.00, and it runs good, wow. Far as I'm concerned the 028 was one of the finest saws Stihl ever made. Its about as bullet proof as they come. Specs would be they made them from 79' thur 90', several models of the same saw mostly. Don't have the HP rating bit its in the 3-3 and half range I think, not sure. Its a wellva a saw though, another one of my all time favorites. You got a bargin on that saw for 25.00...........

40:1 is what I've read it takes on the mix. I guess I will dump out the 50:1 or could I just add a little more for this tank? Or could I just run 40:1 in all of my stuff? (MS361, Poulan Pro backpack leaf blower...)
Also anyone know what the trick is to getting the muffler off of this one? I found two screws but no more.

Chris,
To get the new filter to work you need to take it apart
and push out the center screw and it will fit like the old
one. There is a small indention on the end of the filter
to use as a place to pry it apart. As you push the center
screw outward take a screwdriver and from the top, hook
under and help it out.
Hope this helps.
Dan

FourMoCajuns said:
Now the questions...

Thanks
Chris

You should sell it to me for twice what you paid...that would be one hell of an investment.;)

Back