********WHAT AGE DID YOU FIRST START USING A CHAINSAW????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was 10 years and watched my dad and uncle cut fence post trees cut to 100" lengths to be sold for .50 cents each. That winter I started using dad's Homelite. Soon I got my uncle's Jonsered 630. At 12-13 I was cutting professionally for a local tree service mainly limbing, firewood and cutting brush at the chipper. Shortly thereafter I financed from the bank a brand new spankin' Stihl 064! The rest is history.

StihlRockin'

when I was 13, I was poking around the garage and found my dad's McCulloch(I think it was a 10-10). He had passed away the year before so I didn't have to worry about getting yelled at for using it. I would wear his work boots, go out in the woods and cut things up. I can still remember how the loud exhaust tickled my ears. In hindsight, It's a wonder I didn't hurt myself. However, it is no wonder why my hearing is so bad.
DF

I was around 12 when I first operated dad's chainsaw. We were outback cutting wood, he was wrestling with a large round. I grabbed the saw fired it up and went to work on some smaller rounds. I had no experience with a saw other than watching dad. I cut the rounds at random lengths so way to long some way to short. I finished and set the saw down and dad just stood there like WTF just happened.

Jeff

I was about 22 or 23. We cut our wood down with a plumb double bit axe or a cross cut in the winter or early spring then they were skidded to a big huge pile. In the fall uncles would gather and we belted the Massey Harris 44 to the buzz saw. I mostly was the throw away kid the person that took the cut chunks and tossed them into the trucks and wagons Of course I had to trade off as I couldn't do the real big chunks and I would also get tired. We would usually do 3 hay wagons with sides, 2 pick ups and a stake truck before dinner. At the wood shed the younger kids got the chore of unloading those loads into the wood shed. The next couple of weeks we traveled and did the wood for the uncles that had helped us.
Latter on dad bought a Wrights saw. I still have that big old slow thing. A two man cross cut was faster I still think.
I had a uncle and cousin that cut pulp wood and saw logs for a saw mill. they used huge old Mucks, homlites, pioneer's and some other stuff till they finally stopped in the late 1960's. I never ran those saws the first I ran was a Stihl 031 my brother and I bought for my dad as a birthday gift in the 70's. He retired his double bit axe then.The buzz rig got retired a bit after that but after a couple years it was brought back, modified to mount on the 3PT and run off the PTO.

:D Al

Oh boy... I'm gonna' haf'ta guess...
10... give or take a year.
Somewhat younger than that the first time I was allowed to cut something with one under close supervision.
But dad and granddad both used the same rule... until you were capable of starting a cold piece of OPE, you weren't ready to use it.
It was a good rule... still is...

about 30 y/o when I bought my house which already had an insert. I came up with a cheap plastic Mac that 1st year then graduated to a 45cc Jonsered.
Grew up heating with wood but boys were pack mules and maul swingers.
In my early 20's, just out of the Army, I lived in an animal house with some buddies that had wood heat. They used an old David Bradley I ran a little bit but prefered to swing the maul and let them cut.

I was 11 and it was my dads little tree trimmer poulan 1800. From that day on it was mostly my little saw that I cleaned and filed. My dad would run the 306a dropping and bucking and I would work up the tree tops with the 1800. Grandpa would jump in with his mini mac 35 or homie super ez. Man I miss them days...yesterday would have been grandpas birthday and he would have been 84. Hate to admit it but typing this watered my eyes a little...sure do miss ole grandpa.

About 14. Like a lot of people my dad put in a wood stove during the oil crises of the 1970's. He had one of those tiny Skil saws, but then got a Craftsman/Roper 3.7. I started using them after a few years, probably about the time I started working on them (dad doesn't like working on equipment, which is fine as he's not very good at it either!). I didn't do much cutting through my 20's while living in town, only when I'd go back home to help out, but after marriage and buying a home got back into it again just to keep up with fallen limbs and such. We spent 11 years restoring an old farm house and I wanted to put in a stove, but we were unsure if we would stay. Eventually we decided to move and we put in a stove in 2005. It's been non-stop since.

15....Homelite XL-12. Hurricane Gloria cleanup in our yard.

My dad had had his bad heart attacks a few years earlier, so we were no longer burning the wood stove at that point.

Latest posts

Back