what are the benefits of a top handle chain saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voxac30dude

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
im looking at buying 2 new saws a stihl ms440 for bigger stuff and a top handle saw for climbing work. what are the advantages of a top handle saw in the trees?

They are much more compact that a standard saw which means that the bar wont be trying to chop off your ankle bone. Not only that, but when the need to use only one hand, (start fight here), comes up, you can use it comfortably.

use only one hand, (start fight here)

You got 'er. An arborist who trains people, part of a well know Canadian training school, told me Stihl came up with the 020 to avoid repetetive strain injuries. Correct me if I'm wrong, but repetetive strain injuries didn't really come to be called such until well after the first 020.

The handle is on top, so you can one hand, its wrong, I know, I know, but thats why, any other explanation is bs.:blob2:

There was an actual American made climbsaw called a homelite super2, that had both rear and top handle triggers. I used them far longer than I should have because of that trigger arrangement and it's superb balance, and dirt cheap price at well under 200 bucks.

But the reality was that despite it's cool dual trigger design, was a gutless dog prone to rattling out of it's magnesium case and egging out the holes in them, compared to the 020's raw power it was a joke. But it was very handy to have that extra 4-5 inches of reach available to you by simply sliding back to the rear trigger on the same top handle.

It's a fairly unique climbsaw feature that can only be found on the older magnesium cased super2's.

The super2's design was pleasantly tear dropped to avoid snagging in the canopy.

My dream saw would be the super2's design housing an 020's raw power, all rubber mounted with the best anti-vibe available!

I think Stihl is ripe for losing their dominance of the climbsaw market they've enjoyed for so long now, and deservedly so, they are king for a reason.

I like their power, but hate their package box design, and needless complexities. Why cant they figure out a fuel and oil cap design that can be wiped clean with a simple rag?

jomoco

Last edited:
The handle is on top, so you can one hand, its wrong, I know, I know, but thats why, any other explanation is bs.:blob2:

:agree2:

There was an actual American made climbsaw called a homelite super2, that had both rear and top handle triggers. I used them far longer than I should have because of that trigger arrangement and it's superb balance, and dirt cheap price at well under 200 bucks.

But the reality was that despite it's cool dual trigger design, was a gutless dog prone to rattling out of it's magnesium case and egging out the holes in them, compared to the 020's raw power it was a joke. But it was very handy to have that extra 4-5 inches of reach available to you by simply sliding back to the rear trigger on the same top handle.

It's a fairly unique climbsaw feature that can only be found on the older magnesium cased super2's.

The super2's design was pleasantly tear dropped to avoid snagging in the canopy.

My dream saw would be the super2's design housing an 020's raw power, all rubber mounted with the best anti-vibe available!

I think Stihl is ripe for losing their dominance of the climbsaw market they've enjoyed for so long now, and deservedly so, they are king for a reason.

I like their power, but hate their package box design, and needless complexities. Why cant they figure out a fuel and oil cap design that can be wiped clean with a simple rag?

jomoco

I had quite a few of those when I first started out on my own .
I used to trim a lot of palms,and palms are very hard on a climb saw if you are debooting them and trimmung them up tight , IMO.

The HLs were cheap enough and just good enough for the job.
Would have been real nice if they had some extra grunt though.

You will get a lot of "one handed use" answers to this question and a lot of dishonest answers too. Pound for pound, the 200t is the gutsiest top handle saw getting around atm and if you are going to one hand any saw, this is the one to do it with. Of course, you should always have both hands on the saw at all times............:blush:

The top handles are more compact..easier to manuever..lighter for sure..well balanced..and for the "RARE" ocassion when you do need to one hand it..theres alot less chance of having an accident and ending up a peg leg..
I as well would like to see another manufacterer(IE..Husky) challenge the 200T for dominance..although I dont foresee it happening in the near future..but..a guy can dream..LOL

I'll take my muffler modded 338 and 2139T Jonsy over the 200T all day long. Long lasting, more torque and power, a bit lighter...and they start easily and are reliable...finally. It took Husqvarna 10 years to work all the bugs out.

I can't keep mufflers on any of my 200T's period. They always rattle loose, then eventually fracture into pieces.

The idiots at stihl need to take a closer look at two-stroke moto-x bikes of the past, and their unique pipe to head exhaust port connections, they were pliant, movable, the seal made by spring pressure in a seated cone, no bolts to rattle loose because of mismatched heat dissipation rates between two different types of metal.

Kind of an antivibe mounted muffler using only spring pressure to achieve a seal at the red hot exhaust port connection.

I think stihl is vulnerable alright, but not to a cheaper saw, but rather to an even more expensive high quality saw with features aimed specificly at the climbing arborist.

Anyone who removes trees for a living is not going to hesitate about spending a grand to own the very best climbsaw he can.

I know why my 200T's fall apart, it's because they're all I use in wood up to 28 inches dia with my 14 inch bars. I work them to their outer limits because I'm such a wuss about using bigger heavier saws up in the tree!

jomoco

The catch 22 thing is that before top handles existed tree guys still cut one handed when they had to and still do. Now that was some dangerous ####. I have on occasion cut with a rear handle with one hand and its crazy. Yeah maybe you shouldnt cut with one hand on any saw but one hand on a top handle is 1000 times safer then a rear handle.

im looking at buying 2 new saws a stihl ms440 for bigger stuff and a top handle saw for climbing work. what are the advantages of a top handle saw in the trees?

Shouldn't you know this already if you have your own tree service biz?

You're worrying me.

btw im just starting my own business. im working with one other guy an i live on maui and alot of the tools out here are old and out dated.

btw im just starting my own business. im working with one other guy an i live on maui and alot of the tools out here are old and out dated.

Like I said I was just worried a little bit about all of the 'newbie' questions all at once...starting my own biz and need insurance post...what's a top handle saw for...

Just trying to help. Good luck.

192 treated me fine for a couple years until I had $600 for the 200.
Forget about that Huskie.

if any of you have seen the husqvarna web site
they have a top handle tree saw
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/products/powerful-robust-saws/t435/

Engine specification Cylinder displacement 35.2 cc
Power output 2 hp
Idling speed 2900 rpm
Maximum power speed 10000 rpm
Cylinder bore 1.57 inch
Cylinder stroke 1.1 inch
Ignition system Ikeda Denso
Ignition module air gap 0.01 "
Spark plug NGK BPMR 7A/ Champion RCJ 7Y
Electrode gap 0.02 "
Carburetor model name Walbro, WT 804
Fuel tank volume 0.12 US pint
Oil tank volume 0.08 US pint
Oil pump type Automatic
Oil pump capacity 3-9 ml/min

MS 192 T C-E Chain Saw

DISPLACEMENT
30.1 cc (1.8 cu. in.)

ENGINE POWER
1.3 kW (1.7 bhp)

WEIGHT (powerhead only)
3.2 kg (7.0 Ibs.)

FUEL CAPACITY
270 cc (9.1 oz.)

CHAIN OIL CAPACITY
220 cc (7.4 oz.)

OILOMATIC® CHAIN
61 PMMC3 or 63 PMC3

RECOMMENDED RANGE
OF GUIDE BAR LENGTHS
30 to 40 cm (12" to 16")
STIHL ROLLOMATIC® E or
STIHL ROLLOMATIC® E Light

NOTE: STIHL recommends #3610 (61 PMMC3 50) OILOMATIC® saw chain and 14" 3005 000 3909 bar combination.

A lightweight chain saw for professional arborists,
now with the Easy2Start™ system.

MS 200 T Chain Saw

DISPLACEMENT
35.2 cc (2.15 cu. in.)

ENGINE POWER
1.6 kW (2.1 bhp)

WEIGHT (powerhead only)
3.6 kg (7.9 lbs.)

FUEL CAPACITY
370 cc (12.5 oz.)

CHAIN OIL CAPACITY
240 cc (8.1 oz.)

OILOMATIC® CHAIN
3/8" PMC3

RECOMMENDED RANGE
OF GUIDE BAR LENGTHS
30 to 40 cm (12" to 16")
STIHL ROLLOMATIC® E or
STIHL ROLLOMATIC® E Light

NOTE: STIHL recommends #3636 (63 PMC3 50) OILOMATIC® saw chain and 14" 3005 000 7409 Ematic™ bar combination.

"The ultimate arborist saw."

Last edited:
I actually like the mid-range pro line of husky's, from the 254xp, 262xp to the 365 special, 372 and 394, they all had superior air filtrationing than any of the more powerful stihls.

Just try to slick a nasty date palm with any midsized stihl, I guarantee a clogged airfilter before you run out of gas. But a husky's air injection filtration system allows you 4 tanks of gas before losing power and bogging from a clogged airfilter.

Husky has a better range of quality lightweight midrange saws as well, none of them as strong as their stihl counterparts with clean filters mind you, but sometimes your saw needs to perform longer than a hundred yard dash, and that's where husky nips them in the bud being more dependable and durable through better design.

If husky could design a kickbutt climbsaw and take the lead from stihl's ms200t? The rest of their market share would grow substantially as a result.

I'd like to see an integral fixed point saddle attachment mechanism on the saw's rear termination handle, so I can clip it onto my saddle's fixed point receptor, with one hand, from any position, with my eyes closed.

Being able to smoothly get rid of your saw prior to taking a rigging ride while catching wood and heads can be crucial at times, and chainsaw lanyards don't guarantee an unscathed chainsaw or operator after the ride's over.

The ms200t's lanyard attachment ring has got to be the most pathetic attempt ever at a quick and efficient means of quickly attaching their saw to your saddle. It forms a perfect T too, greatly enhancing it's annoying habit of getting caught on branches while being pulled back up in the tree after re-fueling thank you.

Husky's design team needs to get busy and find some stock ponies and up their design game along an eliptical tear drop, non-snagging configuration.

I'm kinda sick of fractured aluminum 200t mufflers anyway.

jomoco

I

that's where husky nips them in the bud being more dependable and durable through better design.

horseshat

If husky could design a kickbutt climbsaw and take the lead from stihl's ms200t? The rest of their market share would grow substantially as a result.

Since Stihl came on the US market It's always been about whether it is worth being a cheapskate and buying a second rate piece of garbage to save money or springing for the Stihl and having a pro saw.

I'd like to see an integral fixed point saddle attachment mechanism on the saw's rear termination handle, so I can clip it onto my saddle's fixed point receptor, with one hand, from any position, with my eyes closed.

The ms200t's lanyard attachment ring has got to be the most pathetic attempt ever at a quick and efficient means of quickly attaching their saw to your saddle. It forms a perfect T too, greatly enhancing it's annoying habit of getting caught on branches while being pulled back up in the tree after re-fueling thank you.

The attachment point is just fine with a screw link and a swivel snap and can be one handed attached with eyes closed

If you would send the saw down through an open path it will pull back up through an open path. When you get some more experience you might figure that out.

Husky's design team needs to get busy and find some stock ponies and up their design game along an eliptical tear drop, non-snagging configuration.

There you go again, inventin' some useful stuff. Add some more unneeded weight and Husky will sell a boat load of em. Tree companies pooled together to design this saw and they did a great job.

I'm kinda sick of fractured aluminum 200t mufflers anyway.

????? How you doin that? Again get some more experience and you might stop dropping a highly valuable tool

jomoco[/QUOTE]

i love it when the old dogs bark at each other. lol

200t is the best saw ever. i gave my buddy my 338 ,with a modded muffer btw, to use. he does a tiny bit of tree work these days. would i let anyone borrow my 200t? #### no.

first words out of his mouth a couple days later. "nose heavy"

them saws suuuuuck.

Back