what are the benefits of a top handle chain saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
????? How you doin that? Again get some more experience and you might stop dropping a highly valuable tool

Well TV old man it's like this see, I use the snot right out of my 200t's see, to the point they get real hot see, yeah.

The problem developes because both the barrel and the muffler are aluminum, while the fasteners that hold the two parts together are steel, the bolts and helicoil inserts in the barrel's exhaust port. And because these two different types of metals expand and contract under extreme heat at different rates, things tend to work themselves loose over time on the 200t.

Now a frail old codger such as yourself has probably never gotten a 200t up to operating temps much less actually heated the saw up any! So it comes as no surprise that all of your 200t's are all shiny and new with that barely used aspect to them.

Where as my 200t's look just awful, with holes blown through the plastic bottom that houses my poor fractured aluminum mufflers, it's just awful TV.

I'm sure none of my saws are worthy of even being seen on your job sites and embarrassing your professional aura in front of your high end clients.

Maybe if I kin get certified like you someday, I'll finally be smart enough tu figger out why me mufflers is cracken intu pieces parts TV!

jomoco

'Repetitive strain injuries' have been around since cavemen repetitively smacked things with clubs. Just more awareness and newer names for them now.

Philbert

I know, thats why I said what I said, now, tell me why Stihl made the 020 with the handle on top.

horseshat

Since Stihl came on the US market It's always been about whether it is worth being a cheapskate and buying a second rate piece of garbage to save money or springing for the Stihl and having a pro saw.

The attachment point is just fine with a screw link and a swivel snap and can be one handed attached with eyes closed

If you would send the saw down through an open path it will pull back up through an open path. When you get some more experience you might figure that out.

There you go again, inventin' some useful stuff. Add some more unneeded weight and Husky will sell a boat load of em. Tree companies pooled together to design this saw and they did a great job.

????? How you doin that? Again get some more experience and you might stop dropping a highly valuable tool

jomoco
[/QUOTE]

Well TV old man it's like this see, I use the snot right out of my 200t's see, to the point they get real hot see, yeah.

The problem developes because both the barrel and the muffler are aluminum, while the fasteners that hold the two parts together are steel, the bolts and helicoil inserts in the barrel's exhaust port. And because these two different types of metals expand and contract under extreme heat at different rates, things tend to work themselves loose over time on the 200t.

Now a frail old codger such as yourself has probably never gotten a 200t up to operating temps much less actually heated the saw up any! So it comes as no surprise that all of your 200t's are all shiny and new with that barely used aspect to them.

Where as my 200t's look just awful, with holes blown through the plastic bottom that houses my poor fractured aluminum mufflers, it's just awful TV.

I'm sure none of my saws are worthy of even being seen on your job sites and embarrassing your professional aura in front of your high end clients.

Maybe if I kin get certified like you someday, I'll finally be smart enough tu figger out why me mufflers is cracken intu pieces parts TV!

jomoco

Repped both for the pure entertainment value

Now proceed with the show please:popcorn:

I'd like to see an integral fixed point saddle attachment mechanism on the saw's rear termination handle, so I can clip it onto my saddle's fixed point receptor, with one hand, from any position, with my eyes closed.

Being able to smoothly get rid of your saw prior to taking a rigging ride while catching wood and heads can be crucial at times, and chainsaw lanyards don't guarantee an unscathed chainsaw or operator after the ride's over.

Check it out, this is what we use. It works pretty good and keeps the saw nice and snug at your hip.

Stihl made the 020 with the handle on top to make my life easier and to piss of ANSI, OSHA, and evey other alphabet-soup organization. I am not sure which of the above aspects of their design is more valuable to me.

Tried to rep you for that one, BT.

Stihl made the 020 with the handle on top to make my life easier and to piss of ANSI, OSHA, and evey other alphabet-soup organization. I am not sure which of the above aspects of their design is more valuable to me.

Repped. My kids were looking at me all weird as I rolled around the floor but you gotta do what we do to laugh at our jokes..... :chainsaw:

ya know if you are a small fish in a small pond, somebody like say......Jomoco..., you can talk all kind of heavy saw use and you look at them and they ain't got sheeeat. But if you are one of the big fish in a big pond your whole day usually involves hours of onehanding a top handle saw.

The last two days I have done six thousand dollars of removals that involved 6 to 8 hours of non stop one handing. Slicing, chunking, jumping, holding and tossing, pushing into open spaces, etc.. A guy once told me it reminded of sitting at the table at Benihana's and watching the chef. No problem with the law cause a private company owner is not under any OSHA jurisdiction. In 40 plus years of one handing I have just 2 nicks on the non saw hand that I just licked the blood off wrapped it in a piece of t shirt and opted to not deal with the hospital and went back to work.

If you want to have high production and own lots of stuff then one handing is the only way to go. If you want to be like, say, .....Jomoco, who can afford to take 3 whole days to install 3 cables in a clients tree, then that is the way you choose to live. Nothing wrong either way./

It is just that simple.

i love it when the old dogs bark at each other. lol

200t is the best saw ever. i gave my buddy my 338 ,with a modded muffer btw, to use. he does a tiny bit of tree work these days. would i let anyone borrow my 200t? #### no.

first words out of his mouth a couple days later. "nose heavy"

them saws suuuuuck.

A 338 cut half my fingers off once. Nose heavy? :censored: I got proof.

She breeches again, from down deep in the vast ocean, bursting into the air!

Thar she blows! The biggest fish in the pond!

Note the TV'ish aspect of it's mighty flukes!

jomoco

But if you are one of the big fish in a big pond your whole day usually involves hours of onehanding a top handle saw.

The last two days I have done six thousand dollars of removals that involved 6 to 8 hours of non stop one handing. Slicing, chunking, jumping, holding and tossing, pushing into open spaces, etc.. A guy once told me it reminded of sitting at the table at Benihana's and watching the chef. No problem with the law cause a private company owner is not under any OSHA jurisdiction. In 40 plus years of one handing I have just 2 nicks on the non saw hand that I just licked the blood off wrapped it in a piece of t shirt and opted to not deal with the hospital and went back to work.

It is just that simple.

some one rep this man please.

howl at that moon big dooooooog!

that just got me fired up. cant wait to get back to work tomorrow man! wooooo!

Yeah, guys, it's nice to have good tools for our kind of work.

Just imagine showing up at a job like say,....uhhhh.....Jomoco.....and ya gotta cut down the big redwood. Brushy gets out and says, "what saw we gonna use today boss?" Well they both walk around the old Yota and look in the bed.

They don't see anything at first cause the old 10 year old tired 020 is laying on its side it is so tired from cutting down the last redwood so it is kinda hiding under the tarp.

Brushy says, "boss, all we got is the 10 year old burnt out 020 we use all day every day with palm fronds stuck in the filter, a burnt out and cracked exhaust from some highly technical mismatched metal issues.

"Well get it out dammit Brushy. We'll get er done....we always do. Mebbee someday if things are good we can find another of those high quality Super 2 Homelites at a yard sale and we can move up in the world like Treevet.

Last edited:
She breeches again, from down deep in the vast ocean, bursting into the air!

Thar she blows! The biggest fish in the pond!

Note the TV'ish aspect of it's mighty flukes!

jomoco

hey jo.

just read that article in the magazine. good stuff. cool solution you 2 came up with for the cabling. i recognized the pines!

congrats man

hey jo.

just read that article in the magazine. good stuff. cool solution you 2 came up with for the cabling. i recognized the pines!

congrats man

Thanks OD, one day I'm going to a big fish like TV, get certified, worship shigo, have a whole library of the latest arboricultural literature, and make 6 grand every two days!

But first I gots tu cash in my aluminum cans, so's I kin buy me a new muffler fur my climbin saw, see?

jomoco

Heck, alls it takes is a big bushel of aluminum cans, a shopping cart, and sheer will power!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnu7RQVZ1Lw

This happens to every stinkin 200T I buy, which is about 7 now.

jomoco

Telling evidence to be sure. When are the Academy Awards for Scientific Documentary anyhow? Well done! Bravo! :clap:

I see the entire Arboricultural community discontinuing use of this tool when Geraldo airs this piece.

Latest posts

Back