What are the odds?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jere39

Outdoorsman and Pup
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hey guys, started out as a reasonable day, and I had planned to take down a large dead Red Oak even though I couldn't actually get tractor or ATV to it. Anyway, this is probably the biggest tree in the immediate vicinity, and it still has quite a crown of limbs, including a pretty heavy looking one that likely wants to pull the tree a slightly different way than what I consider the best direction for the fall. So, I decided to throw a rope on it and give it some gentle come-along persuasion.

I took my bag of ropes and my spool of line and 12 oz throw bag, along with my new GoPro and of course my pup for a slog through the snow to the tree. Hook the GoPro to a tree, pulled out the line and throw bag, identified the best crotch to loop around, about 40' up the tree. Start the camera, circle to the clearest vantage for my throw, and began the toss.

Now, thanks to decent editing s/w that came with the camera, you'll have to trust me on how many misses were edited out before this classic throw sailed clean through the crotch and came down with a perfect plunk of my camera.

Fortunately, the GoPro case is very sturdy, and weather proof. I have more video of the rigging, but before I even brought the saw out, it started freezing rain. As a retired, and hobby firewood team, we don't work in freezing rain. So, more to come hopefully tomorrow.

Back today to take the tree down:

Might have had a little too much tension on the steering rope as I bound up a few times cutting the face wedge. But, all good: tree down didn't land on anything I didn't want it too, and it lays right across one of my firewood trails, so I'll get right up beside it with the 4wheeler.

best part is when they drop.....the big ones are like a mini earth quake.

You are so right. No matter how confident I am of my plans and technique, the amount of power reserve a tree this size holds in its vertical position is awesome and deserves tremendous respect. That moment when you hear the hinge start to crackle, and feel the kerf gap on your saw bar expanding is just indescribable, I take a couple steps back to watch, hear, and feel it. Tempting fate and cheating her again.

You are so right. No matter how confident I am of my plans and technique, the amount of power reserve a tree this size holds in its vertical position is awesome and deserves tremendous respect. That moment when you hear the hinge start to crackle, and feel the kerf gap on your saw bar expanding is just indescribable, I take a couple steps back to watch, hear, and feel it. Tempting fate and cheating her again.

What I hate is a tree that starts to go and stops. Having to go back in for a bit moe cutting knowing things will happen FAST after that is not among my preferred occupations.

All those big rounds aren't going to split and stack themselves. So, Scout and I are back in the woods this morning for some splitting, hauling, and stacking.

IMG_6984.JPG

Then back to the garage to prepare for the forecast of snow.

What kind of dog is that? I had a mutt a few years ago that looked similar. Nice looking Pooch!!!

Nice score on the wood! I like the grapple in the Deere, never seen one before.

What kind of dog is that? I had a mutt a few years ago that looked similar. Nice looking Pooch!!!

Nice score on the wood! I like the grapple in the Deere, never seen one before.

Pup is now a 7 year old French Brittany. He is a constant companion, spending hours in the woods every day.
Grapple is a new offering from a guy who is developing a marketing plan for it. I'm not sure he is ready for distribution of name/price/availability just yet. I've had it for about 4 days now, so I am just learning what I can and can't do with it. I'm planning to take some more video once I know what I'm doing to share both here and on the tractor forums.

Great old dead Red Oak, should be good for next 2017 heating, based on a year of seasoning after split and stacked.

Latest posts

Back