What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slab Steps

This is my second set of slab steps to date. This set was for my own house so it took a tad longer to finish.
The wood is Douglas Fir and a it was a two step process to mill it up at the beach. The first step was dragging along my nephew to show him how its done(that lasted till we packed everything down to the site/ trimmed the log and set the mill up…...and then I hit one of my lags within the first six inches of the cut….No spare chain, so home we went). Step two was getting back to the log a few weeks later/ digging it out and cleaning off most of the sand and then some basic milling.
The board ends were sealed and then left for a year or so. I had wanted to route out a grid on each step to prevent slipping when wet but the wife talked me into leaving it roughcut ,(ya she made a good call).
I poured two small concrete curbs for the first tread and imbedded four anchors to secure it. For the ’’stringer’’ i used stacked 4”x4” cut and trimmed to fit then glued and lagged together. After a dry fit or two everything was taken apart and had four coats of sealant applied. Reassembled and all bolt and screw holes plugged and stained.
Rough slab measurement 3” thick, width up to 27” overall tread length 80”
pic1-the victim, pic2setting up mill , pic3trial fit, pic4/5 finished step
Sorry for no actual milling pics.
enjoy
G VavraView attachment 310363View attachment 310364View attachment 310366View attachment 310372View attachment 310371

oak and maple slabs

cut the slabs with my homemade "alaska", dried then planed using router sled and 1.5" flat-bottom router bit; belt sanded then fixed pores with hot glue and epoxy; used pour-on resin for all but one. Two are memorials to dear friends.View attachment 310454

Here are a few photos of current build. This table is being built for the Urban Wood Encounter show here in July. This will be an origami inspired coffee table, base will be ebonized Ash. To stabilize the crotch I used a 32" X 3/4" steel rod. The rod passes through the main butterfly. More photos later as I make more progress.

View attachment 301725

View attachment 301726

View attachment 301727

Drilling through that, that far with a hand drill, impressive :clap:

Hey timberwerks,

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics when they come back.

BTW To save on multiple consecutive posts in the same thread, open up another browser tab or window with the same thread in it, hit reply to a thread and copy the quote.
Go back to the original page and hit reply and paste the quote into the reply and write your response to that quote. Then do the same for all the other quoted responses you need to make. This way you have one post and it looks a bit tidier within the thread.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers
BobL

Sweet birch top milled and dried in dehumidifier kiln the legs are Sapele I buy that from a supplier

5WRKBAe.jpg

zW0lREr.jpg

2BSRjLz.jpg

Back