What are you eating this fine Christmas day?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hddnis

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I like making a nice roast for Christmas myself. Sorta makes it different than Thanksgiving and eating turkey.

Here is the roast ready to start cooking.

P1080202.jpg

Here it is on the woodstove cooking nicely. It got too hot and I had to put a paver brick between the dutch oven and the stove; I kinda figured that would happen. That is all wood I cut myself with a chainsaw. The wood behind the stove is a burl pattern oak slab from a stump that is drying fast for a small project. Some checking, but I'll be able to work around that.

P1080203.jpg

I started three days ago by rubbing the beef round eye roasts in olive oil and then Realsalt, granulated garlic, and black pepper; then they went back into a nice cold fridge. This morning I seared them in a smoking hot cast iron pan on the stove. Next I put them in the dutch oven with turnips, red potatoes, carrots, onions, rutabegas, a few slices of green apple, and some parsley.

They take three to four hours to cook. I have two more in a crockpot, since we're have company for dinner.

The house smells good.

Merry Christmas!

Mr. HE:cool:

Standing rib roast (prime rib), gravy and horseradish, red roasted potatoes with fresh rosemary and garlic, asparagus and beaujolais wine. And yes I'm doing the cooking!

Your eating alot better then I.
Homemade Tamales & munchin on some pastachio's

Rep for the roast

Thanks, if you were closer I'd invite you to dinner; I'm afraid that it will all be gone by the time you could get here. :)

95 degrees and humid, and we had hot glazed ham and roast pork with heaps of crackling, roasted vegetables, and salad. For desserts, hot plum pudding and cold Mango, Cream and Creamed cheeses layered cake (Man that was good!), fruit salad and sorbet. All good!

Last edited:
I've got some pork spareribs in the smoker over pecan wood. The rib tips are on there too, and I'll put the points in while we eat!

som ctud since thanksgiveing. turkey/ham potatoes yayda yada. my wife has cooked 7 dinners both our families are split up. i pretty just just drank coorselight for this dinner. im so tired of food.

ohh forgot to mention we had a chirsmass dinner for my dads side of the damily yesterday wife cooked it all i did dishes.

i can see why christmas is the biggest drinking holiday

95 degrees and humid, and we had hot glazed ham and roast pork with heaps of crackling, roasted vegetables, and salad. For desserts, hot plum pudding and cold Mango, Cream and Creamed cheeses layered cake (Man that was good!), fruit salad and sorbet. All good!

Are you from Australia or South Carolina?

The roast looks excellent!!

I have my wife, 2 kids, and grandkids with me for Christmas and we've had Honey-baked ham, a BBq'd pork butt, green beans w/new potatoes, deviled eggs, broccoli and rice casserole and boiled shrimp for the grandkids. Topping it off with fresh made coconut pies... :)

I hope each and everyone of you and your families had a Merry Christmas and enjoyed yours as much as I have enjoyed mine with my family!

And yes....it's only 32 degrees here, but I'v e got a nice warm fire going and sipping a little scotch as I sit!

Merry Christmas to y'all

Jim

:wave:

its 16deg right now, im looking for alittle whiskey to warm me up.
i wish it was 32. right now the temp is dropn itl be about 0-5 tonight and burn your noze if you go outside early in the morning

I made a spiral baked ham, made mashed potatoes, and green beans. All was good! Simple food for us here! We simply enjoy eating good stuff! My wife is a good cook, but it is tradition that I cook on holidays. I love it!

Only bad thing was that my son was on his ship in the Navy in Norfolk, and his wife was all the way across the nation in San Diego anticipating the move of his ship from Norfolk to San Diego, so they didn't have much of a Christmas together!

I like making a nice roast for Christmas myself. Sorta makes it different than Thanksgiving and eating turkey.

P1080202.jpg

Here it is on the woodstove cooking nicely. It got too hot and I had to put a paver brick between the dutch oven and the stove; I kinda figured that would happen. That is all wood I cut myself with a chainsaw. The wood behind the stove is a burl pattern oak slab from a stump that is drying fast for a small project. Some checking, but I'll be able to work around that.

P1080203.jpg

I started three days ago by rubbing the beef round eye roasts in olive oil and then Realsalt, granulated garlic, and black pepper; then they went back into a nice cold fridge. This morning I seared them in a smoking hot cast iron pan on the stove. Next I put them in the dutch oven with turnips, red potatoes, carrots, onions, rutabegas, a few slices of green apple, and some parsley.

They take three to four hours to cook. I have two more in a crockpot, since we're have company for dinner.

The house smells good.

Merry Christmas!

Damn, looks like you forgot the onions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, the roast looks like it has allready been cooked!!

The house smells good.

Merry Christmas!

Mine is not too far off...

I've got a nice pot roast in my Dutch Oven. Its a big 14" oven and it is full to the brim with carrots & whole red potatoes. I start out with 4 big yellow onions that I cook down to nice and brown. Then I put that on top of a roast that has been rubbed in Montreal Steak Seasoning. That goes in for 2 hours at 300 degrees F. To spice things up, I add balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and BBQ sauce. The veggies are added after 2 hours. Things then slow cook for another 2 hours, at 300 degrees F.

Serve that up with hot-from-the-oven bread. We start eating in 15 minutes.

I am very blessed. My whole family is together - for the first time in 2.5 years.

Merry Christmas!

Latest posts

Back