What are you making with your milled wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Needed a privacy fence here. Going to put more racking up for lumber drying and don’t want to annoy the neighbors who might not like the beautiful sight of stacked lumber.

Metal posts in the ground. 1/2 are pounded in, no concrete. The other half were already there with chain link on them. I removed the link, added an extension on top, and fastened oak rails to the posts.
The face boards are all Catalpa, a good weather-resistant wood.

View attachment 1100618

View attachment 1100619
I like working with Catalpa.

A friend asking advice from me for her novice woodworker husband about some white oak they had milled, wondered if an octagon planter she saw would be a good first project for him. I've done most of my woodworking with chainsaw milled slabs, so I've never done a lot of basic joint assembly and miter work. Done some very difficult large slab waterfall miter joints, but not a lot of basic stuff. I joke sometimes I find building a simple wooden box harder than half the high end stuff I do. Figured I'd give it a go as I have a vast amount of dried red oak in random smaller boards that aren't much use to me (some unstrapped slabs twisted and warped so bad I had to trim and plane them into small pieces to salvage them). Learned about strap clamps in the process, which will make picture frames a lot easier. Also saw a video after I did mine with a simple assembly trick of laying all the pieces out and putting tape on them and applying glue to the joints, and then rolling it up into place and putting the strap clamps on. I put biscuits in mine for strength and alignment for the glue up, but need not have bothered w the extra effort. Once you figure out the process, these can be turned out very quickly.

Attachments

• octagon2.jpeg
    octagon2.jpeg
    398.6 KB · Views: 0
  • octagon1.jpeg
    octagon1.jpeg
    330.7 KB · Views: 0
A friend asking advice from me for her novice woodworker husband about some white oak they had milled, wondered if an octagon planter she saw would be a good first project for him. I've done most of my woodworking with chainsaw milled slabs, so I've never done a lot of basic joint assembly and miter work. Done some very difficult large slab waterfall miter joints, but not a lot of basic stuff. I joke sometimes I find building a simple wooden box harder than half the high end stuff I do. Figured I'd give it a go as I have a vast amount of dried red oak in random smaller boards that aren't much use to me (some unstrapped slabs twisted and warped so bad I had to trim and plane them into small pieces to salvage them). Learned about strap clamps in the process, which will make picture frames a lot easier. Also saw a video after I did mine with a simple assembly trick of laying all the pieces out and putting tape on them and applying glue to the joints, and then rolling it up into place and putting the strap clamps on. I put biscuits in mine for strength and alignment for the glue up, but need not have bothered w the extra effort. Once you figure out the process, these can be turned out very quickly.
I use tape all the time IMG_7507.jpeg

Wood working has been slow. With trying to hunt some, the holidays and all but I managed to get this table done last week.
It is actually a cutting board table on wheels. A man bought him a 3" thick cutting board and wanted it off of his counter top, so I came up with this little cart.
His board it 23x23, so I built this 25x25.

Snapchat-1076123479.jpg20231223_192309.jpgSnapchat-358574922.jpgSnapchat-991246273.jpg20231223_192407.jpg

Wood working has been slow. With trying to hunt some, the holidays and all but I managed to get this table done last week.
It is actually a cutting board table on wheels. A man bought him a 3" thick cutting board and wanted it off of his counter top, so I came up with this little cart.

View attachment 1141510View attachment 1141511View attachment 1141512View attachment 1141513View attachment 1141509
I like how you covered up the screw holes in the top. When I say the exposed screws I thought.....

What are you hunting in Ark?

I like how you covered up the screw holes in the top. When I say the exposed screws I thought.....

What are you hunting in Ark?
There's no screws in the top. It is all pocket screwed from the bottom.
Whitetails, it's been tough for me to punch a tag this season.

View attachment 1141510View attachment 1141511View attachment 1141512View attachment 1141513View attachment 1141509
This is impeccable work!

Milled all the lumber for the barn rebuild out of right of way electric poles.
Poles were free. Saved us 4 to 5 k in lumber to do the rebuild.
We were hit by a tornado March 12, 2012. Took out 1/3 of our barn. Completed repairs in 2016. Right of way electric poles are pressure treated poles and are very clean. The only nails are for pole tags and staples used for the ground wires. It was a fun project and the LT40 got a workout. Hope I never have to do it again though. Just saying. :cool: OT
They replace them usually because of pileated woodpecker damage.

Attachments

• Phone pics 276.jpg
    Phone pics 276.jpg
    867.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Phone pics 299.jpg
    Phone pics 299.jpg
    862.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Phone pics 263.jpg
    Phone pics 263.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Phone pics 270.jpg
    Phone pics 270.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Phone pics 279.jpg
    Phone pics 279.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Phone pics 301.jpg
    Phone pics 301.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Milled all the lumber for the barn rebuild out of right of way electric poles.
Poles were free. Saved us 4 to 5 k in lumber to do the rebuild.
We were hit by a tornado March 12, 2012. Took out 1/3 of our barn. Completed repairs in 2016. Right of way electric poles are pressure treated poles and are very clean. The only nails are for pole tags and staples used for the ground wires. It was a fun project and the LT40 got a workout. Hope I never have to do it again though. Just saying. :cool: OT
They replace them usually because of pileated woodpecker damage.
Wow! That's nice! When I worked at the circle mill, a guy from StL, brought truck loads of old beams from a warehouse in StL being demolished. He had them milled into timbers for a timber framed shed (big).

Slightly unusual use of a couple of rejected slabs. One had too much rot and the other the chain cut at an angle. Had to make a bridge across some reeds on the lake to reach the island to tidy it a bit
View attachment 1094854

Slightly unusual use of a couple of rejected slabs. One had too much rot and the other the chain cut at an angle. Had to make a bridge across some reeds on the lake to reach the island to tidy it a bit
View attachment 1094854

View attachment 1094854
We had an ocean of rain recently and the lake level rose over the top of the posts and deposited the slab bridge to its current position! I need a volunteer to wade out through the mud which is like quicksand and fasten a winch cable to drag it out into dry land!

IMG_6319.jpeg

Latest posts

Back