What are you using for a day box?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poindexter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
You know all that crap you need or might need in the woods? I started with a flex sided tool bag, hated it. Used a cardboard box for a bit, I don't remember if it got crushed first or got rained on first, but it didn't last very long.

I finally used some 2x2 scrap and some plywood scrap, and a piece of thick dowel I had laying around to build a good one. Went a little crazy with the safety orange paint, but I can spot the fool thing from a ways off.

Nominal inside dimensions are 20" x 8" x 8".

daybox.JPG

With my measuring stick and chaps out of the way, you can see I got a half ton of gear in there:

secondlayer.JPG

Quart of bar oil, bug spray, that rain shield thingy that goes with my helmet, couple files and file guide, spark plug, all of it. All I need to go to the woods is this box, my saw, gas can and cant hook. Plus an axe for when I get my saw stuck.

Super happy with it. Probably cost me $15 and most of that price was orange spray paint.

Nothing at all wrong with painting it orange. Maybe that is why Stihl saws are orange.

I was in a similar situation like you, always used a soft sided bag and never cared for it. I decided to buy a Dewalt 28in tool box from TSC. So far I really like it much better. It has a tray for the small stuff like files and what not.

Got the same box as Memory...except with Stanley FatMax name on it instead of DeWalt. Lowes sells them as Bostich.

From today...used out of it today a scrench, chain, carpenter's ruler, chalk (I suck at eyeballing), and wedges.
2014-01-19_13-00-39_158.jpg

Milk crate for the bigger stuff, tool bag for stuff to fix/maintain the saws

Milk crate for the bigger stuff, tool bag for stuff to fix/maintain the saws
Milk crate user here too. I put a couple of pieces of PVC inside it, zip tying them to the sides. One to hold a dead blow hammer, one to hold a chip brush to clean off the sawdust around the bar oil/gas caps and to clean the saw if I have to change chains. 2 more to hold 1 scrench each. I can also fit a gallon of pre-mix, a gallon of bar oil, and 2 small/2 large wedges inside that milk crate. I'll take a couple of sharp chains and put them in the milk crate too. That's typically all I need.

nice idea on the box!!!looks great and great cost savings! i bought a big bag from meinards think its like 27" plus long with wheels on the bottom it works good and i like it,but your idea would of saved me $30,think the bag bought last year was close to $50.....

dog in milk crate.jpg propane tank.jpg Safe place for pooch to ride- no rolling propane tank in truck bed. Just a few of the many uses of a milk crate. Cut a long slit in the side and set your chainsaw in one. Saw won't get all scratched up or slide around.

Another vote for milk crate. I like the PVC idea to stay organized.

Nice boxes too guys

To hold the items needed at the tree (wedges, hammer, scrench..), I use a 5 gallon pail. To get the pail and everthing else (2 saws, oil, fuel, PPE, etc, etc) to the tree, I use a very large Rubbermaid storage box that goes on the back of the ATV. I can't find a good image of the box but it is around 42"L x 18"W x 18"D.

Latest posts

Back