What are your oldest saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the input guys. It's quite interesting. I don't see many Malls or Distons or two-man saws. I's gots to gets me one of them someday.

Hi Brad,
Here is a fix for you! LOL

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

MVC-001S.jpg

MVC-004S.jpg

I currently have a DA and KA. I am now working on obtaining another one that I can cut with and demo.

Bob

Hearing protection is a must on this.
I like this part of the tag.:dizzy: No mosquito problems.
attachment.php

You should get paid double when you run that saw--once for the wood you cut, and again for mosquito fogging.......:D

My Mac 3-25 originally called for 30 wt motor oil mix--it's amazes me these old saws still run today............

Casey

Casey,
The Disstons were contract built by Keikaffer. Keikaffer started Mercury Marine. They started with a government contract in the 40's and later built the 101's and 211's for civillian sales. 101's were a one man single cylinder saw and the 211's were a two cylinder, 9hp model. They were quite expensive and by the mid 50's McCulloch, Homlite, and others were just as powerful and much lighter. The relationship between Disston and Mercury deteriorated and Mercury chose to produce their own saw, since thay had all the tooling and dies. They switched from silver and orange (Disston colors) to off white and red (mercury colors) and were built for a very short time.

The 2 cylinder two stroke has a unique sound and is a cool saw to have. I showed one of these at an engine show in Oblong Illinois this year and had a lot of stories and complements about it.

Bob

My oldest moldy is a 1965 mac 300. Still runs and looks good too. I don't use it unless I feel like having numb wrists, a back ache, an ear ache, and head ache.

The 2 cylinder two stroke has a unique sound and is a cool saw to have.

Bob

A fellow collector of mine claims the same thing. The twin sound is unique. I have two Disston Mercury parts saws KB7-b of which I hope to built one goody in the near future. Sometimes I wish I were retired so that I could finish all my projects, grrrr.:)

Alot of nice old saws on here...

Thanks Brad..Pretty good post...My oldest is the mac 1-10..I have a love it,,hate it kinda relationship with this saw..Thought I finally got it running good,,but still cut out bad on wot...Put a carb kit what I could find ( mac carb) and now screams wot,,but dont wanna idle...Guess if I wanna use it I'll have to get a diffrent carb for it and do alot of mods for it to work..Anyways,,enjoy seeing alot of the old saws restored...

My oldies!!

I have a "59 Strunk Big Machette (105cc West Bend) and a mid 70s 075 AVE. My 032 AV is not quite as old.:)

This Porter-Cable is the oldest saw in my possession. I did finally manage to find a replacement igniton coil and get it to run. I can see why they were never a popular offering--a very unwieldy saw overall. Aftre this, my next older saws are a McCulloch 1-76, 380A, 7-10A, and on up the list.

Latest posts

Back