What are your oldest saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1926.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

Here is a couple more open sprocket saws with really big cutters,1/2 " and 9/16 " chain on these puppies.
Pioneerguy600

Power Machinery saws

I was reading an article years ago by the GREAT Finley Hays about his days working as a salesman for Power Machinery saws. He said he drove around from job to job with a station wagon full of saws, and did his best to make the sale. One day he met the late Werner Mayr of Mayr Bros. logging (out of Forks, WA, I believe). Mr. Mayr gave Mr. Hays an unusual test. He told Mr. Hays that if his saw could fall a large Hemlock without being drowned when the water in the center of the tree came gushing through the cut, he would buy some saws from Mr. Hays. As the story goes, the Power Machinery saw passed the test with flying colors, and they were both happy.

I was reading an article years ago by the GREAT Finley Hays about his days working as a salesman for Power Machinery saws. He said he drove around from job to job with a station wagon full of saws, and did his best to make the sale. One day he met the late Werner Mayr of Mayr Bros. logging (out of Forks, WA, I believe). Mr. Mayr gave Mr. Hays an unusual test. He told Mr. Hays that if his saw could fall a large Hemlock without being drowned when the water in the center of the tree came gushing through the cut, he would buy some saws from Mr. Hays. As the story goes, the Power Machinery saw passed the test with flying colors, and they were both happy.

Thats an interesting story that I have not heard before but owning a few PM`s I can see where they would not be bothered by water coming off the cut due to the rear mounted Tilly and an aft mounted air filter. I have cut with my bar buried in water while cutting logs for boom poles and logs floating in an containment boom in fresh water and the saw never missed a beat. The Pioneer 600 series also were good saws around water.
Pioneerguy600

Finley Hays is a logging icon in the PNW. Might want to Google his name some day if you're bored. He was the founder of Loggers World Magazine and a few others.

If you are really interested in the old days of logging out that way, there are a few good books out there. They pop up on ebay now and then too.

Timber Country by Earl Roberge

Timber Country revisited

Both books have a section on Potlatch Forest's log drive down the North Fork of the Clearwater. My dad used to work that drive, and lived behind Red McCollister, the river boss, who is another logging icon.

Grisdale-about Simpson's Camp Grisdale

They Tried to Cut it All-an excellent history book on the Aberdeen area back in the highball days.

Saginaw Timber, by Finley Hays. A must have. Saginaw Timber was located right across the road from the famous, or infamous, Brooklyn Tavern. I can put you in touch with him, if he is still around, if you want a copy. probably about 25 bucks.

The Cinderella Tree, about Mayr Bros. Logging, and Werner Mayr, the guy who bought the PM saws from Finley Hays.

There is one about Schafer Bros, but I don't recall the title.

Timber and Men, about Weyerhaeuser

This was Logging! by Ralph Andrews

The Glory Days of Logging, also by Andrews

Both of these books are full of photos br Darius Kinsey, who helped to preserve those lost days of crosscut swas and steampots.

There are more, but that's all I recall for now.

Also, this one is expensive when you can find it, but a great read. One of the best:

Handloggers, the story of Handlogger Jackson and his wife, who spent their working life living on a boat and hand logging on the Alsakan slopes.

Martin Hansen ([email protected] I believe) may still be around. He has a bunch of old logging photos from back in the days of steam. I bought several photos of vail in the old days from him, including one of my dad's lokie. A 1949 Fairbanks Morse H10-44, upgraded to 1500 HP in the Vail shop under my dad's guidance in about 1970.

If you are really interested in the old days of logging out that way, there are a few good books out there. They pop up on ebay now and then too.

Timber Country by Earl Roberge

Timber Country revisited

Both books have a section on Potlatch Forest's log drive down the North Fork of the Clearwater. My dad used to work that drive, and lived behind Red McCollister, the river boss, who is another logging icon.

Grisdale-about Simpson's Camp Grisdale

They Tried to Cut it All-an excellent history book on the Aberdeen area back in the highball days.

Saginaw Timber, by Finley Hays. A must have. Saginaw Timber was located right across the road from the famous, or infamous, Brooklyn Tavern. I can put you in touch with him, if he is still around, if you want a copy. probably about 25 bucks.

The Cinderella Tree, about Mayr Bros. Logging, and Werner Mayr, the guy who bought the PM saws from Finley Hays.

There is one about Schafer Bros, but I don't recall the title.

Timber and Men, about Weyerhaeuser

This was Logging! by Ralph Andrews

The Glory Days of Logging, also by Andrews

Both of these books are full of photos br Darius Kinsey, who helped to preserve those lost days of crosscut swas and steampots.

There are more, but that's all I recall for now.

Also, this one is expensive when you can find it, but a great read. One of the best:

Handloggers, the story of Handlogger Jackson and his wife, who spent their working life living on a boat and hand logging on the Alsakan slopes.

Martin Hansen ([email protected] I believe) may still be around. He has a bunch of old logging photos from back in the days of steam. I bought several photos of vail in the old days from him, including one of my dad's lokie. A 1949 Fairbanks Morse H10-44, upgraded to 1500 HP in the Vail shop under my dad's guidance in about 1970.

Wow that is some history there in those books you have mentioned. The wood has always been bigger on the Pacific side of NA. but here on the Atlantic side we have been logging for over 300 years and I grew up in the woods here cutting with my dad and his brothers. I lived and grew up in the lumber camps and stayed in the woods year round until it was time to go to school but never got far from the woods as it is in my blood they say.
I have cut a lot of timber and owned a saw mill. I am probably one of the last men my age that worked river drives here in NS it was a common way to move wood, logs and pulp up until the mid 60`s. I was lucky to have known a lot of the lumbermen from the Eastern Shore of NS and Newfoundland and listened to their stories of life from the days of two man crosscuts and bouble bitters,swede saws and then steam to gas saws. I rode on the steam trains just as they were going out of service and being replaced by diesel.
I thank you for listing all the books and will try to pick up some of them and give them a read, we have a great book store here that will hunt down and bring in old books if you ask them nicely, somehow they can find them even in used condition if new is not available. Well its time to get off to the woods as the frost is starting to melt and by the time I get into the woods it will be prime time to cut, I have a long ways to go as it takes me about 5 mins and is 300 feet from my door to reach where I am cutting. LOL
Pioneerguy600

oldest saw

My oldest is a Homelite 7-19 1958/59 according to Acres. Still a project saw but pretty good shape for its age, one of these days...

my oldest saw

my oldest saw is my homelite super ez ao with the 16 inch bar. my friends think i am nuts to use a saw without a chain brake, but it cuts great. i just use it safely and never over do it. It is something i inherited from my friends grandfather.

Might not be the oldest here, but the 07S got a good outing this weekend:

attachment.php

I couldn't split the rounds without cutting them in half first - too much water in the wood at this time of year.

pioneerguy600 and metalspec

Thanks for the pics of the Mac 15 what an awesome looking saw to me.I guess the old saying stands true."Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" applies to things other than women.When I get one of those mac 15's I hope my Pioneers don't get jealous.I wonder if Bruce Hopf has a Mac15?
Thanks Guys
Lawrence

Latest posts

Back