What bar and chain for Husky 562xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethrot

Reaction score
Just got a Husky 562xp as primarily a firewood saw.

The 24" bar is probably a little long most of the time. The chain is 3/8 050 and seems too light and otherwise just crappy.

I am open to suggestions involving different bar chain and clutch sprocket I guess.

With the appropriate bar could I use 058 chain without changing anything else.

I am also open to suggestions re parts and service provider. I am a Sydney (Blue Mountains) resident.

3/8" chain would be standard on that saw, your options are in gauge (.050, .058 or .063). Your bar will need to match your chain gauge, a 20" bar is probably more appropriate.

3/8 .050 is standard chain, and plenty strong for any stock saw in 20" range.
A 24 will be slightly out of balance, but if your cutting +20" wood a large part of the time it will make things a bit easier on you.

If a chain seems "crappy" first thing I'd suggest is to sharpen it, really sharp.

You could put your location in your profile. :D Unless you're in a witness-protection program.

Lots of folks run .050 gauge chain on saws much bigger (displacement) that yours without issue. On these smaller saws purposed for regular felling and firewood production, gauge is determined by what is popular in your region. There's no practical difference between .050 and .058 gauges at this level.

My preference for a 60cc saw is a 20" bar with 3/8 pitch, .050 gauge full chisel chain (Stihl RS or Oregon LGX). That 20" bar on a 60cc saw strikes a nice balance between maximizing reach without bogging down too much when buried in hardwoods.

What size is the wood you are cutting? There isn't much of what I would consider "firewood" that needs 24" of bar, especially without equipment to cart that big crap around. I would think that that saw would do well with a 18" bar, maybe even 16".

Just get yourself a 20 inch 58 gauge bar and chain and you will be set ... generally speaking 50 gauge is really only used in america ... 58 gauge is the standard size in australia as i recently found out !!!!

Latest posts

Back