What bar for 460 mag?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me the 25" bar is ABSOLUTELY perfect. I started out running a 20" and it does almost want to tail stand. Mine (I've had two 460s) is one revving son of a gun. I also have a 32" bar that is matched for that saw (Stihl ES) and it seems a touch much. I've never ran a 28," on it, but the way it responds to the 25, I believe the 28" would do well also. I'll sell you mine with the 20" and the 25" bar, that way you can try both and see for yourself. Trading Post under "new 372xp with warranty."

just my two cents...

Oh by the way... don't run a 25" or a 20." Forget the bar you need...the answer to your question, the chainsaw you must have is...drum roll please... THE 361!!!

Just kidding

Sorry, after reading the post "husky 350 vs ms 290" last night, I just couldn't resist.

Is this post allowed? Can one even mention selling a saw here? I don't remember from when I signed up, don't want to break the rules...Thanks.

For me the 25" bar is ABSOLUTELY perfect. I started out running a 20" and it does almost want to tail stand. Mine (I've had two 460s) is one revving son of a gun. I also have a 32" bar that is matched for that saw (Stihl ES) and it seems a touch much. I've never ran a 28," on it, but the way it responds to the 25, I believe the 28" would do well also. I'll sell you mine with the 20" and the 25" bar, that way you can try both and see for yourself. Trading Post under "new 372xp with warranty."

just my two cents...

Oh by the way... don't run a 25" or a 20." Forget the bar you need...the answer to your question, the chainsaw you must have is...drum roll please... THE 361!!!

Just kidding

Sorry, after reading the post "husky 350 vs ms 290" last night, I just couldn't resist.

Is this post allowed? Can one even mention selling a saw here? I don't remember from when I signed up, don't want to break the rules...Thanks.

WHAT?

For me the 25" bar is ABSOLUTELY perfect. I started out running a 20" and it does almost want to tail stand.

Tail-stand. I am beginning to learn how this works.

My 660 is ported and I enjoy running it with an 8-pin and 20" bar just because I can. However, it does seem to require some operator input to keep the cutting teeth in the wood. If you set the bucking spikes however, watch your feet and shins because the bar will be through the wood before you're prepared.

It is a classic case of being addicted to power. Yes, my 361 is the better match for the 20" bar in the stuff I cut, but the 660 is so much more fun with the same bar.

My 660 ususally wears a 25" bar at altitude, so I would think the 25" bar would suit the 460 perfectly.

Last edited:
For conifers here in the Northwest............
28" on 044/MS440
32" on MS460
36" or 42" on 066
ALL FULL SKIP

Did NPKenny answer your question or are there other questions since there were about 3 different random thoughts on my post?

yasha

You are correct, it was the randomness of thought that elicted my response, not the obvious visions of lucidity.

Bar Length

The Stihl Ms 460 Is Just Fine With Either The 20" Or 25" Caan Go Longer Also.

For conifers here in the Northwest............
28" on 044/MS440
32" on MS460
36" or 42" on 066
ALL FULL SKIP

Yep, though I run a 25 on the 441.

The saw/bar/chain combination is driven by the trees you are cutting and not by the size of the powerhead. While I keep a 32" bar on the 460 I sometimes switch to a 28". What do YOU need to cut?

I run mine with anything from 20" to 32"

20" and 24" I use the 8-pin, unless it's dead dry hardwood like oak or hickory then I run the 24" with the 7-pin. 20" is always 8-pin, and just plain fun. :D

28" and 32" I run the 7-pin with and skip always on the 32". The 28" will pull either way with full comp or skip, but I run skip most of the time these days, I just like it better.

I believe it would pull a 36" bar with skip just fine for limited use but have never tried it, just judging from how well it pulls the 32". :cheers:

Oh yeah, mine has the muffler modded. ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

here is baby bro Jodie's 460 W/36 full comp,,,, buried in seasoned oak,,,,
slingiing chips!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!

here is baby bro Jodie's 460 W/36 full comp,,,, buried in seasoned oak,,,,
slingiing chips!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!

Thats what I'm talk'n bout. :cheers:

I've got a pic around here somewhere of mine with the 32" buried bucking oak and throwing a nice tail, but I can't seem to find it right now. Must stihl be on the old computer. :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back