What brand and size to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carvinmark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am considering buying a splitter,as the cost of heating is just STUPID.I use about 15 cord a year for my shop and thinking about selling some too,probably around 30 cord.I have never even operated a splitter before,but my body can't stand doing it manually anymore.I just don't want to end up with a POS. Any suggestions? Would like to stay under $1500.00 if that is realistic.

Mark, not sure if youve got a TSC up there. Their splitters are decent for the money. Well built. I think their 20 ton goes for around $900, 27 ton goes for around $1200, and 34 ton for just over $1500.

I'm going on 3 years with a Brave 26 ton. I've been pleased with it as have all the stupid neighbors and friends who borrow the thing. Its well within your price range, but I haven't split more than 5-6 cords per year with it. You might need something faster.

johnha said:
I'm going on 3 years with a Brave 26 ton. I've been pleased with it as have all the stupid neighbors and friends who borrow the thing. Its well within your price range, but I haven't split more than 5-6 cords per year with it. You might need something faster.

Dang! Its borrower proof? That must be one heck of a splitter. After two times lending mine out it stays here or I go with it. Suppose there is a reason why they cant afford one themselves?? LOL.:cheers:

A second vote for the TSC splitters as a good low-cost, in-stock-ready-to-bring-home splitter. Heard lots of good things about them and seen one in person that has handled a couple hundred cord of split-too-small firewood with nothing but routine maintenance (the guy split everything really small, so the splitter saw maybe 2x or 3x the number of cycles necessary to have split the wood to a reasonable size).

carvinmark said:
I am considering buying a splitter,as the cost of heating is just STUPID.I use about 15 cord a year for my shop and thinking about selling some too,probably around 30 cord.I have never even operated a splitter before,but my body can't stand doing it manually anymore.I just don't want to end up with a POS. Any suggestions? Would like to stay under $1500.00 if that is realistic.

Looks like the others have pretty answered it. Just a few comments. For home use the bare bones ones are fine, even at 15 cord. If you are looking a commercial use try to get one with an outfeed table at least and a log lift too. I don't think you can make the $1500 range with those niceties tho.

Doesn't take much to add a outfeed (or even in-feed) table after purchase though.

Harry K

keep in mind that a horizontal-only splitter will accept 4 -way slip on wedges. One pass of the ram and you get 4 pcs; and they won't fall at your feet. Nothern tool has a couple (i recently bought the 20 ton model, it's awsome) but they have 30 ton model too. I forget the 30 ton price. Something to consider. Look at a recent June-ish post about "followup on my first splitter" where I mentioned what I learned about mine. Lots of other good advice/postings here on the forum too.

will the 4way wedge work on a 20ton 5.5hp tsc splitter or do you need to get the 27ton 6.5hp

thanks
Jason

I've had great luck with my American MSR

My two cents,as I am not sure what they are selling for in the real world but My American MSR has had well over 400 cord threw it and the foundation/quality of the splitter has been great.
I have replaced the engine but nothing as far as the splitter goes. I've run a four way slip on wedge pretty much all of the time.
It has the 8hp 16gpm setup.In a perfect world I would upgrade to a 13hp with 22gpm but as money allows.Bought my rackbody dump instead last season.
She aint pretty but still does a great job for me.

CaseyForrest said:
Mark, not sure if youve got a TSC up there. Their splitters are decent for the money. Well built. I think their 20 ton goes for around $900, 27 ton goes for around $1200, and 34 ton for just over $1500.

The only thing is tsc splitters are not true tonnage,they stretch it a bit for marketing! The 34 ton is NOT 34 ton! I have the 20 T which is made by speeco, not MTD. All the new ones are made by SpeeCo. I guess they are decent for the money if your an occasional user. My first year (just last year) of splitting and selling wood (44 cord) My control valve leakes and does not click off on the return cycle, pump is darn near toast. It used to split almost anything, now I come across walnut that stalls it. Gonna take it back, and make one with a shorter stroke,+faster cycle times. I know I pretty much put it thru hell, just letting anyone know where you might be when you split around 44 cord. Actually I'd say I split about2-3 cord by hand for chits & giggles, & the exercise. When my buddy operates it and I'm hand splitting stuff like honey & black & clammy locusts & walnut I can roast that thing as far as production goes till i get Y'd peice then gotta toss it to the side cause the splitter can't do it anymore. Slooooww cycle times, almost feel myself age as I split with it. Wish i had the money for the RAYCO splitter..talk about sweeet!+fast (watch yer fingers fast)

Last edited:
Back