What brand of chipper is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello NeTree,

NeTree said:
Schra, this has got to be one of the most ignorant and arrogant statement I've seen in awhile.

Right, as you see it like that its okay with me. I will not apolagize for saying what i did but can for my writing. I am Dutch and therefore Englisch is not my natural language. So its likely that i put it in the wrong words and incompletely explaned for you guys.

Though, not without a grain of truth. In reality, if some idiot gets himself chipped, why should the company be liable?

This is about that 'old' drumchipper without feeders. Overhere a company is obligated to use up to date machinery complying to newest or renewed regulations. If a company uses a outdated chipper thats below modern safety standards, the company is (partly)liable for damage done by it.

As far as our equipment.. I don't know about your government, but mine sure isn't subsidising my equipment purchases, so I buy equipment that will last, and drums last a LONG time.

We do more then 10 years with a disk chipper, thats long enough for me as safety specs changes all the time and maintanance will cost more on a older machine. How long do drums run?

Updated to safety??? We've already shown that those newer disc machines with all their safety features are still the number one killer by far. So is it really a safety step forward to go from a drum to a new disc?

I am not knowing our figures of accidents with chippers, cant remember that i heard a lot of them happend. I am wondering if new drum chippers are still manufactured without feeders? I used a vermeerBC1000 and that has feeders. all usa drum chippers i know of has feeders here, maybe made to EU specs? (a small morbark has no feeders i know, but that feeding trench is almost standing upright. i call that thing a pencil sharpener :)

Our country may not be perfect, but some of us fought for it, and take it VERY seriously.

As fighting is serious busines so is work, take both seriously and the better change you have getting trough it alive. In neither job you want to get hurt or killed. I can tell as i served my duties in the yugoslavian war in the 1990's. I wasnt slamming on the usa, i want only a better insight in how you guys operate and are regulated.

Regards Ronald

Hi Ronald,

Yeah.. some stuff probably got lost in translation. No sweat.

They do still make drums without feeders; Altec, for one.

My point is simply that to say those machines with feedwheels are an improvement in safety has no basis in fact (in fact, the contrary has proven to be true), so it's retarded that they'd be mandatory.

drum verses disc, huh? ran them both own a disc would not own a drum unless had to (thank god i dont) both are dangerous to those who dont know and this is where the problem is even a seasoned tree person can get a scare from either. although i must say ive lost more gloves through a drum and it will whip ya good, just dont feed and run into traffic to avoid the beating you may end up under a car. your statement that you dont run these every day is a red flag!! above all respect it and be safe!!! take care and good luck Doug,LXT

thanks. i am doing all i can to understand it, know the maintenance issues, and seek the advice of those who are daily users. thanks for the information.

by the way, anyone know where to find the serial number for a ford 300 engine?? thanks

JDHTulsa said:
by the way, anyone know where to find the serial number for a ford 300 engine?? thanks

on a plate on the rocker cover, on the distributor side (usually).

According to Altec, the chipper is an asplundh chipper model JEX. Probably from the early 70's or so. thanks to everyone for your advice and help.

no luck finding a plate with the number on it to find the size or date on the engine, though. i did, however, find a tag for the carburetor still on the carburetor. thank goodness for small wonders. now just for basic maintenace. thanks again.

the machine worked great, but there are some basic maintenance issues like the radiator, fuel filter, etc. that need to be addressed.

If it's a jex or later, it's probably not a 300-six. They share some parts, but it's like a 272 (forget exact cubes). I can tell you that Altec wants $400+ for the radiator; I had mine recored for considerably less.

Back