What brand outlast?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The loggers I've known pick saws that are light, best antivibration, fast, reliability and good service support in their area. My dad ran mac until they weren't available then switched to Stihl, Husky's or Sach. A lot of his saws he had ported and recertified. But his brand choice was the saw manufacture that had the best innovation. Anything that helped get the timber on the ground because he got paid by scale. Any help that conserved energy and time is where he put his money. Pride and brand loyalty shouldn't get in the way of making a living. It's hard to say which brand was more reliable he was hard on his saws. replaced them every two years, the last saw was the backup saw. Mac 125super Pro was the most reliable saw he ran, he ran that saw 4 years then gave it to logger as a landing saw and I think he ran it two more years. My dad told me he thinks 125 super pro helped put Mac out business... dam good saw. But a sharp properly tensioned chain and letting the saw cool down a bit after a long cut will improve reliability.
thays how my logging buddy has been. Just never into macs, stihl in the early days then switched over to husqy at some point. He's all about bang for your buck, and what lasts.

I had better luck with the STIHL saws rather than Husky, Husky seems better made at 72 cc and up . I used to have all Husky saws and I tired of them.
From all I have read and info I have gathered says the husky has more torque and can full a longer bar better and has a better oiler for a 24” Bar. But I sure like the weight and nimble of the 462

You are the one that said they would not let you demo a saw.
That is on you and there is no reason for a foul mouth.
I wonder if your mouth is why they do not let you demo saws
I have never been told no.

You carry on
The manager at my local tractor supply store let me demo a couple saws I ended up buying. When I bought my 2172 the guy who owned the shop let me make a couple cuts first too. He went out of business a few years ago.

Let me see, I ran a Mac in 1981 on a thinning crew. Started waking up in the mornings with my left hand curled up. Thinning crew ended because marking and cruising season began. A few years later, I bought an 032, which is still alive and now residing in CA. Then, later on, ran a 440 at work and liked it and it seemed to weigh less than the 032 and definitely had more oomph than the 032. I wanted one.

I just went by weight, oomph, and the dealer folks. Also, they had a kind of secret sale going on to get rid of the 440s as that model was being discontinued and they apparently had boxes and boxes of those. One was bought for work and then I returned and bought one for ........cutting firewood and stuff. The news of the sekrit sale was spread by word of mouth--no advertising.

What I saw in the woods was that the 660? with a 32 inch bar was the most common saw used by the fallers. The 440 or 660 was common on the landing. My neighbor who was semi-retired from logging and a hell of an old growth faller said that a 440 was fine to use for falling timber until you got into a situation and needed a lot of power in a hurry and then it was too small.

Never saw any yellow saws used professionally when I started inspecting timber sales and I can't recall ever seeing a Dolmar out. It was probably 75% Stihl and the rest Huskies, and a few Feller Bunchers.

There!

A hooktender cutting a tree for rigging up. Hence the high stump.DSCN1577.JPG

A faller in slash falling trees needed for landing construction.

slash.JPG

The manager at my local tractor supply store let me demo a couple saws I ended up buying. When I bought my 2172 the guy who owned the shop let me make a couple cuts first too. He went out of business a few years ago.
Any servicing dealer here will let you demo a saw. I guess maybe some just come to kick tires but those folks are weeded out quickly

I love how smart and experienced 18 year ols are with EVERY type and size saw. THEY KNOW!! And they've bought things so THEY KNOW!!!
View attachment 1169282
He’s a loser just like Oliver YouTube superstar. Click on my videos, Like them and subscribe to my sh*t content so I get paid!

At the Paul Bunyan show in Ohio, both Husqvarna and Stihl had booths set up where people could demo their saws.

Bill doesn't have a clue what he's talking about, like normal it's a saw he's never even had his hands or eyes on.
Sean,
Apparently you missed what I clearly said.
Never worked on a 572 so I am not aware of their system but if it is like a 272/372 then I do not like it
Can you show where I made a single comment for or against the saw?

At the Paul Bunyan show in Ohio, both Husqvarna and Stihl had booths set up where people could demo their saws.
I can remember many years ago going to shows that had 6 different saw companies at them.
Those were good days.

Latest posts

Back