what can I use to make impulse lines?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wolf, I've got several sizes in my shop as I do a lot of automotive work from time to time.... on ambulance shift right now so I couldn't tell you what sizes I have or what I've used. The wall thickness is thicker than the windshield washer tubing; I just use whatever vacuum line fits snugly on the barbs... seems like I have 3/32", 1/8", 5/32", 3/16", 7/32". From there I have fuel line in 1/32" increments starting at 1/4"... I want to say for impulse lines I've used either the 3/32 or 1/8"... I usually buy each about 12' at a time from one of the auto stores bulk. Only 3 here, NAPA, Carquest and an independent.

Duane

It really depends on whether you fix the stuff for a living, or just rig the saw up to survive whatever job you have that afternoon.
If I am paying a mechanic to fix it correctly, and I have to take it to another shop and they show me "windshield washer line" or
whatever was used on the last repair that failed /or didn't fail/ but the saw is down, and the next shop will gladly show the windshield washer line......
No matter. Any redneck repair shows up like a sore thumb, and it usually is a poor repair. Not always, but common guys....
You are having a discussion about how to try to fix a saw by using the wrong parts. Hell, I got some damn good line on my
aquarium, but I still I'm not tempted to try it on a saw...

It really depends on whether you fix the stuff for a living, or just rig the saw up to survive whatever job you have that afternoon.
If I am paying a mechanic to fix it correctly, and I have to take it to another shop and they show me "windshield washer line" or
whatever was used on the last repair that failed /or didn't fail/ but the saw is down, and the next shop will gladly show the windshield washer line......
No matter. Any redneck repair shows up like a sore thumb, and it usually is a poor repair. Not always, but common guys....
You are having a discussion about how to try to fix a saw by using the wrong parts. Hell, I got some damn good line on my
fuel and primer bulbs on a pouland

I cant believe you don't think there isn't any other line to put on them beside stock. Its not moulded it's just line on the saws I am working.

Vacuum line is best if you can get it the right size, it's designed to resist collapse whereas fuel line is not.
My local auto parts guy had two different rolls of unusually small line and one worked very nicely.

Vacuum line is best if you can get it the right size, it's designed to resist collapse whereas fuel line is not.
My local auto parts guy had two different rolls of unusually small line and one worked very nicely.
I cant find any these idiots around here only have washer line! Do you have a specific name or place I can get it? I been looking a couple months already. I am using it on the MS 200Ts if that helps you.

Well yeah, you can smurf on any little piece of macaroni on there, then make a thread here and ask if the gang here would think that it will work..... If that is what you want to be known for.....
Ahhh, whatever you want, I guess.....

But if you happen to work on stuff for other folks..... Wait, other folks that may use a saw "professionally"!!!!!

You may want to fix it right!!!! As their time is money!!!! "Big money"!!!!!

Certainly respectable Harley, not arguing there! I use the vacuum line on my own saws, saws that I do have to depend on from time to time, living in a rural area of most items needing to be ordered online (not much dealer support around). The lines I have done have held up reliably for me. If I am working on someone else's saw or other item, they either have to wait for parts to come in, or if the relationship with that person is good, they understand it is a "temporary", situation. I certainly do not advocate using the washer tubing the OP mentioned in any way. That stuff would bake quickly and become a liability very soon! On someone else's stuff, I would use the vacuum line to diagnose bad lines, but again, their equipment would most likely not leave my door with it in place.

Having lived almost 50 years, mostly in less populated areas, and mostly not having financial means to pay many others to build or repair things along the way, one learns to be resourceful and use their head. I have seen my share of "redneck" fixes along the way and will say many are not well thought out or are done in a very sloppy way. There are some however that are quite impressive, solid in materials and concept, and long lasting!

Duane

I cant find any these idiots around here only have washer line! Do you have a specific name or place I can get it? I been looking a couple months already. I am using it on the MS 200Ts if that helps you.
The auto parts store is a NAPA ... old school place, one horse town, no airport :laugh:
I don't know what the MS220T uses but I was working on an 020av and the standard yellow fuel line my buddy had in his shop wasn't making it ... so I went up the street and the auto parts guy let me look through all the line he had and I found one that fit tight and perfect ... I bought a foot of it for like 80 cents.
It wasn't a molded line though.

My only problem with vacuum line is that it will not hold up to mix fuel and will turn to gum sooner or later.

Long term, like years and years, that may very well be true. But then it seems the factory, correct, right stuff, proper, OEM lines, gaskets and diaphragms, etc. aren't fairing to well long term these days either with our wonderful fuels... Sounds like all the more reason for regular PM! Thankfully my area only sees ethanol fuel (10% or less) Oct-Mar. Not much cutting or mowing those months!

Duane

Latest posts

Back