What causes this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is wormy red maple. What loggers and millers call it.
Woodworkers refer to it as Ambrosia Maple so as not to detract from selling points by calling it "wormy red maple".

Last edited:
I was looking at some opld pictures I had taken of the foliage in that area, some of which were taken almost straight up. N I do see some maple leaves, n even though I can't say they belonged to the actual tree I was asking about, I would be inclined to believe those here on A.S. as it being Red Maple. Y'all have never steered me wrong.

I'm still learning how to identify these trees, so I so know I'm making a lot of mistakes. N this was one of them.

One thing I can say though, it is a tree, n it will eventually burn!

With it being Ambrosia Maple (as per LEES WOODC's post), maybe I should try my hand at carving something out of the bottom part of the trunk!

I was looking at some opld pictures I had taken of the foliage in that area, some of which were taken almost straight up. N I do see some maple leaves, n even though I can't say they belonged to the actual tree I was asking about, I would be inclined to believe those here on A.S. as it being Red Maple. Y'all have never steered me wrong.

I'm still learning how to identify these trees, so I so know I'm making a lot of mistakes. N this was one of them.

One thing I can say though, it is a tree, n it will eventually burn!

With it being Ambrosia Maple (as per LEES WOODC's post), maybe I should try my hand at carving something out of the bottom part of the trunk!
May want to save those rounds. Advertise them on craigslist/eBay. They may fetch a good dollar to the right person. If you get more and want to market it ,I'd leave it in longer lengths. If there was one red maple in that area like that there will be more.

I've got no idea what it is, but I'd be tempted to set a couple of cookies aside to dry. It would make a real interesting cutting board or clock.

Thanks for the compliment on the hinge (btw, I'm a dudette :msp_smile: )

Some of the wood at the end of one of the large branches was all rotted out. I couldn't say how far it went down since I haven't processed the wood yet.

My apologies. It was still a good looking hinge, that doesn't change!

We have Red Maple in Virginia too. If that is what you have there, It will dry fairly fast and be pretty lightweight afterwards. Not Yellow Poplar (or tulip tree, depending on where you are) or pine light, but light.

Last edited:
Think ratchet straps hold the ends together too to prevent from checking? I tried this on a huge maple log a few years back [made a mantle for a friend] and it didn't check bad at all !! Maybe it was just the specific piece of wood; who knows. it was a 2' wide piece about 11' long. I'd like to think I stumbled across some woodworking sorcery.

"With it being Ambrosia Maple (as per LEES WOODC's post), maybe I should try my hand at carving something out of the bottom part of the trunk!"

Chainsaw art, you may have found a new calling in life if you are any good at it. I swear one of those cuts looks like Abe Lincoln.

"With it being Ambrosia Maple (as per LEES WOODC's post), maybe I should try my hand at carving something out of the bottom part of the trunk!"

Chainsaw art, you may have found a new calling in life if you are any good at it. I swear one of those cuts looks like Abe Lincoln.

The only thing I've ever carved using a chainsaw was a simple heart out of a stump some years back. (maybe 10 or so) I do think I'd have to practice a bit in poplar or pine before I'd do the maple though. Maybe even get a smaller chainsaw.

I think that one cut looks more like General Robert E Lee! :msp_w00t:

View attachment 280848

Neat. But I didn't see the General in there anywhere. I can make square and rectangular things. I have zero artistic talent. :msp_mellow:

Me too, but I have one heck of an imagination! :biggrinbounce2:

Me too, as long as it involves square and rectangular things. :msp_biggrin:
Well, that, and a few other things that are off-limits on this site. :msp_wink:

FLHX Storm,

If the tree is a distance from anything and it looks like it on your picture.
Then maybe you have oil or tar on your property and the tree root has found it.

If you do a fresh cut on any of the stained wood and put a piece of paper towel on the cut right away, if it's oil some will go into the towel almost right away.

If nothing happens on that test then it might be just a sulphur or iron deposit in a permanent wet zone one of the roots hit.
High counts of both of them can stain a tree pretty good.

A tree with a very high sulphur amount will smell bad cutting and have blotchy stains.
A tree with a very high iron count will have deep blue stains.
Both have to be in extreme amounts for the tree to move them into the wood though, oil is much easier for a tree to move into the wood.

Curious what the well water is like now :)

FLHX Storm,

If the tree is a distance from anything and it looks like it on your picture.
Then maybe you have oil or tar on your property and the tree root has found it.

If you do a fresh cut on any of the stained wood and put a piece of paper towel on the cut right away, if it's oil some will go into the towel almost right away.

If nothing happens on that test then it might be just a sulphur or iron deposit in a permanent wet zone one of the roots hit.
High counts of both of them can stain a tree pretty good.

A tree with a very high sulphur amount will smell bad cutting and have blotchy stains.
A tree with a very high iron count will have deep blue stains.
Both have to be in extreme amounts for the tree to move them into the wood though, oil is much easier for a tree to move into the wood.

Curious what the well water is like now :)

I'll do the test for oil n sniff for sulfer in the wood tomorrow and see how it comes out. I figure I should be able to start processing all the wood. (other than the big chunks of maple) Even do some noodling! :msp_w00t:

The well and spring water I know does have a relatively high mineral content. When I'm putting in full days n sweating my behind off, I'll only drink that during the day. It kind of gives me that little extra pizzazz. It has a good flavor, unlike that treated city water. That stuff makes me gag every time I try it.

During the winter months the water here does cloud up a bit but tastes the same as usual.

Back