What causes this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is vibration from use. i have 3-4 mufflers cracked there and i just run a bead of weld over the crack for a repair. another bad spot is the left support fastener nut sometimes cracks all the way around and ends up not even part of the muffler anymore. i repair those by just welding the support on. those muffler are expensive here so well worth repairing. they are also built alot heavier then the AM mufflers or even the 372 mufflers. the cover i've seen happen too. you will find the missing plastic is actually kinda melted in the slot it would normally slip down in. no idea why, they just do. not all the time and it happens after some serious hours. the muffler was likely ran loose at some point too. that's a high hour saw and way way way out of warranty.
I should have taken photos of how the top cover pretty much started "melting" right from first tank. Your right about muffler i lost the cap screw by bar spikes, replaced it straight away. Same with top cover screw on bar side, i always stop and repair what i can if i cant then its a walk out to swap saws.
He didn't say he bought it new nor did he say he took it to the dealer he purchased it from. We'll have to have him chime in for more details.
Yep bought new paid nz$2400 for saw and 2 bars and chains, and yes took back to where i bought from.

Commercial is 2yrs.
I thought it was only 6months? Stihl give me 12months.
Bought it new. After stihl di cked him around on his 661.
Update on that is the stihl dealer took the computer crap out and gave it back with a standard carb, now its a beast. But its a vibing beast. The 390 is a much better saw to use for long periods.

2yrs surprised me too but it's in black and white on the warranty form. Maybe they increased it since you bought yours.

I thought 661 anti vibe was supposed to be great? Is it only great compared to 660's?

2yrs surprised me too but it's in black and white on the warranty form. Maybe they increased it since you bought yours.
As long as they honour it, all good.
I thought 661 anti vibe was supposed to be great? Is it only great compared to 660's?
Its got a hell of vibe when reving out of wood, soon as its sunk into cut it tames down but does not dissapear. Saw in milling forum a guy suggested getting rid of the captive nuts. Im starting to think they are making saws that dont last so you have to buy more often.

Its got a hell of vibe when reving out of wood, soon as its sunk into cut it tames down but does not dissapear. Saw in milling forum a guy suggested getting rid of the captive nuts. Im starting to think they are making saws that dont last so you have to buy more often.
Maybe something is wrong with the anti-vibe, or something else that if left does other damage they will pin on you for not bringing it to their attention sooner?
If you get no joy from the husky dealer, please name and shame them so others can avoid them. My 395 is the first husky i have bought locally, ever, having sworn off them years ago after a peanut at a store called Gardening Aids in Auckland treated me poorly. I've not been back in that store and never will. Hopefully my dealer treats me better than it seems you may be being treated, if ever I need a genuine warranty repair. Here's the warranty period in black and white:
warranty.jpg

Any resolution to the friction-melting husky cover?
Went back to dealer to see whats up and the reps next excuse is abit more believable, he reckons i must have run saw with no screws in top cover. I did lose one but replaced it straight away, dealer stuck up for me on that. So i have to take it back and have the flywheel pulled off and something about inspecting crank? he said it will take an hour or so.
I did see what happens when you ignore screws dissapearing .A guy i contract to bought his 390 same week as me, i found his exhaust on the haul track.

I gave up on the dealer that i bought this saw from, over the multiple trips with no resolution. Went to next dealer up the road and bought the parts myself 99 bucks for a muffler and 65 for top cover. He wanted me to bring the saw so he could show his new mechanic, got a surprize when out walks one of the first decent mechanics that i found years ago(he was stihl back then). He looks at saw and says yeah they do that when you work them hard, heres some electric grease try it on the new cover. I appreciated the no b/s response, grease worked no melting so far.

Back