What chain to use in Stihl 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregon69

Reaction score
Stihl 026 20 inch bar

I was using a 33RMC3 and variations of for the last 10 years.
Recently I new Stihl dealer started up closer to my house and when I got a new chain he said to use a 33RSC3. The 33RSC3 is 2x faster cutting firewood then the 33RMC3. It was also easier to cut straighter.

I could find nothing that the 33RMC3 was better at. For what purpose is the 33RMC3? Is it made for a particular job or wood? I was cutting 20 inch fir.

Stihl 026 20 inch bar

Recently I new Stihl dealer started up closer to my house and when I got a new chain he said to use a 33RSC3. The 33RSC3 is 2x faster cutting firewood then the 33RMC3. It was also easier to cut straighter.

I could find nothing that the 33RMC3 was better at. For what purpose is the 33RMC3? Is it made for a particular job or wood? I was cutting 20 inch fir.

RMC3 is a Reduced kickback "Rapid, Micro, Comfort" <--Semi Chisel

RSC3 is a Reduced kickback "Rapid Super Comfort" <<<--- Full Chisel

Full chisel is more aggressive in the cut.

Stihl 026 20 inch bar

33RMC3 is not available. You must be talking RM or RM2. Different animals than RMC... you can get 26rmc3. RM and RMF is available in some areas. 2X? na... maybe 20-25% when first cutting, but the RM will last a lot longer. Cut straigher? nope...

RM lasts longer than RSC or RSC3 in dirty wood - i.e. wood on the ground or fire damaged timber etc. The moment you dull the RSC chisel tip, it stops cutting. I use RM and RMF for firewood, always.

33RMC3 is not available. You must be talking RM or RM2. Different animals than RMC... you can get 26rmc3. RM and RMF is available in some areas. 2X? na... maybe 20-25% when first cutting, but the RM will last a lot longer. Cut straigher? nope...

RM lasts longer than RSC or RSC3 in dirty wood - i.e. wood on the ground or fire damaged timber etc. The moment you dull the RSC chisel tip, it stops cutting. I use RM and RMF for firewood, always.

Your correct...
I checked the original box from when I purchased the saw and it has 33RM2-72E on it. So most likely that is what I was using. It may be the sharpening of the old RM chain but it was done by the dealer, not me on this one. After I sharpen them again maybe I will test with a stopwatch and be more scientific.

But thanks for answering the original question...What does the RM chain do better and that is cut better in dirty wood.

Don't forget to take down your rakers to 0.65mm (use the stihl wide gap measuring tool)

RM2 is no longer made (yea!).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back