What chaps to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any chaps that are UL listed are a good start - don't buy any that are not. Labonville is popular here on A.S.

Wrap chaps give protection to the backs of your calves, and more layers provide more protection, but are heavier and hotter. Whatever you buy, try wearing them with suspenders which makes them a lot more comfortable and wearable. If you aren't wearing them, they do no good for you in the truck.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/229848.htm

Philbert

Not wearing any would be like heading to the cathouse without a condom

I have a pair of Labonville full wraps. Comfortable with good reviews on the safety aspect. Hope to never have to replace them.

I have the 6 ply Labonville full wraps. With the flaps just touching, it's about 17" around at the bottom, 19" at the top of the wrap 10" up. Opening the straps all the way will get you about another inch. If you need more space, I suggest calling Labonville and explaining what you need. Their staff has gotten nothing but rave reviews here, and I'd bet they'd make a set with longer straps or maybe even longer wrap pads if they were asked.

On the helmet, I have the Peltor Lumberjack, it's OK, but mine has an aggravating habit of the earmuffs not staying locked on. I just leave em folded up and wear plugs, but it's enough of an issue that my next one will be a different brand, likely Rockman. More money, but again, nothing but positives here from those that wear em.

Elvex ProChaps. There full wrap. Sure they are warm but I do most of my cutting in fall and winter...not because of the heat mainly for the darn small critters hovering around my head.

Latest posts

Back