What close calls have you had?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
closest i guess I had was cutting wood with my dad. I was cutting a smaller oak down the side of the hill. Dad was going to cut one up above. Well as I was cutting and had my back to my dad, he started cutting his tree too. I finished my cut and as my tree was falling and I was walking back up the hill, I looked up just in time to see the tree my dad was cutting falling right at me. I had just enough time to drop the saw and put my hands over my head. Luckly, I was just brushed by a few small limbs. but it could have been much worse. I got even with the tree, I had it sawed and build the cabinets for my kitchen and a gun cabinet out of the wood. I sold the house so no pics of cabinets, but I still have the gun cabinet.

Attachments

• 0120171021.jpg
    0120171021.jpg
    591.3 KB · Views: 55
two summers ago was doing some clearing with a buddy, bunch of big oaks, he cuts into one on the back cut and ants had been in it damn top falls but hangs up about ten feet up from the hinge, pinched his saw, so he comes over and gets me to come help get him out, the top is laying over toward the down hill side, I do a little test cut on this spire that's ten foot tall with top still hanging to it, all seems good no load against it so I start in, that big ole oak, bout 20 inches through starts to go over the way we want, he grabs his saw and runs and i head uphill. All of a sudden I get hit in the head, saw goes flying and down I go with a huge smack on my side, I heard ribs break, then the damn thing bounces up and back down on me again. Buddy runs over and tries to lift it off, crazy but first instinct, he then grabs my saw cuz its still running right close by and starts cutting to get me out, somehow while he was cutting i wiggled out, no clue to this day how. Laid there a long time til I could sorta breath, then walked back up that hill, got in my truck (79 dodge power wagon with a 4 speed) and him in his and drove the seven miles home....Ouch. finally went to the hospital after my fiancé (now wife) got home. I had broken six ribs, four on one side two on the other, punctured one lung, which collapsed but reinflated itself, bruised both lungs, lacerated my spleen, lacerated both kidneys, bruised both kidneys, and bruised both adrenal glands. I spent two nights in the hospital but walked in and spent most of the two days walking around the place. None of the staff could believe I was alive let alone walking, 48 hours after I went in there I walked out. Boys I tell ya that was a long painful couple months after that, I still have troubles with the ribs hurting when the weather changes Hope ya'll at least learn to never trust them trees to do what you think they will, that sucker jumped uphill and towards the stump end.
HOLY CRAP!!!! what a great read!!!! I had goose bumps, and had to pick my jaw up off the floor. stories like this help me to remember to put safety first. thanks for sharing!!!

Thunked my head on the concrete good on this one. Thought the wheeler was coming back too but it just sat there.

And I never use ramps like this for this very reason. Had to move the wheeler just once because I had other stuff in the trailer.

View attachment 552434

I got to see the bottom of mine....I had my deer gun in a hard case on the front. Found out it wasn't hard enough. I was pulling some lumber up a hill, blipped the throttle and over it went.

Attachments

• IMG_3546.JPG
    IMG_3546.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3547.JPG
    IMG_3547.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 72
HOLY CRAP!!!! what a great read!!!! I had goose bumps, and had to pick my jaw up off the floor. stories like this help me to remember to put safety first. thanks for sharing!!!
Thanks absrio, it was a scary darn deal, sure thought I was gonna die there for a few minutes. It still makes me nervous to drop trees, but have done a few since then. I sure like just getting logs from the tree guys though. I truly hope everyone on here reads this and takes a little away about thinking things through and applying it to stay safe.

Back in 2002 in montana when i was young and dumb and I first got married to the now ex-wife, we lived in a 1 bedroom 1960s model trailer house with my newborn daughter. I found an old blaze king wood stove insert that I mickey moused into a free standing stove by laying a piece of cement board and some tile over the carpet then setting the insert on that. Well the ex decided that the air was too dry in that place so she would set a coffee can full of water on the stove and let the steam humidify the air. This worked great until she put some orange peels in the water to add a good smell and it boiled dry one night. I woke to the smoke alarm blaring and a coffee can sized column of smoke bellowing off the top of the stove. I Had to open all the doors and windows in the trailer to get the smoke out, letting the
-15* cold in. The ex and my daughter spent the rest of the night in the bathroom cuddled up to the little Electric heater while I got rid of the can and tried to clean out the smoke smell.
I'm gonna try your ex's idea with the orange peels, but in a four gallon pail.
One cabin I stayed in smelled of wolverine and packrat piss. A quick fix was to scorch coffee grounds in a frying pan on the woodstove.

Posted that 2 hours ago and still can't stop thinking about those times.
I usually skated alone too so had I fallen through, nobody would have known where I fell in, nobody would have known I fell in and nobody would find me until the ice melted off the rest of the river as I would have been swept down river by the current under the ice.

Stuff of nightmares.

Not me, but just this week a fellow worker at the paper plant got a call his house was on fire. Fortunately he lives within 1/2 mile of the plant.
He grabbed three extinguishers from the break room and headed home to a house full of smoke.

A chimney fire had started and directly across from where the stove pipe entered the chimney was a clean out or a spot where another stove had been previously.

At some point a cupboard had been built in this area. The action of the chimney fire blew out the clean out cap and started the cupboard on fire.
Unbeknown to him there was a small kerosene lamp in the cupboard which ignited as well.

The small rural fire department didn't have enough members to respond and the closest fire department to respond was 12 miles away.

Luckily he was able to extinguish most of the fire with the borrowed extinguishers before they arrived and the fire was limited to a small area, so overhaul damage was minimal.

Still made a mess and was a very close call.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Driving a tractor down hill, pulling a loaded trailer full of wood and pushing the clutch in to coast. Total brain fart. Was planning my escape route.

Never, EVER push the clutch on a tractor to roll down the hill faster. The tractor accelerates down the hill, then the clutch assembly spins about 3x what it was built to withstand, and it explodes, usually jamming the pressure plate closed so that you cannot stop without killing the engine.

The very worst is tow-starting the tractor behind a truck, and some moron puts it in low gear before popping the clutch.

Go ahead, ask me how I know these things, and how many clutches I have paid for.

I got to see the bottom of mine....I had my deer gun in a hard case on the front. Found out it wasn't hard enough. I was pulling some lumber up a hill, blipped the throttle and over it went.

When towing a load, if you don't attach higher on the machine than the axles (or centerline of the the wheels), you don't have to worry about torque spinning the machine upside down on top of you. Tractors are notorious for that.

When I was about 14 cut my leg just above the knee with a saw, got a little carried away swinging saw around cutting small trees and brush for a tree farmer. You could see the big blood vains in my leg but it didn't cut them.
Was chasing my brother through the house one time he ran out the door and tried to shut the door behind him I put my hand out to stop it and it went through the glass cut my wrist but no veins.
After I got into falling commercially was cutting a big pine and a big limb came loose from close to the top glanced off the side of my hard hat and hit my shoulder knocking me to the ground, shoulder was black and blue and awful sore for awhile.
Another time a guy cutting the strip next to mine was kinda below me and didn't match up his cuts on the undercut causing the tree to angle up to me when it fell thankfully just the limbs hit me and knocked me to the ground, no damage.
Almost drowned a few times, been in 3 rollover accidents, fell asleep and ran off the road twice, sure glad God watches over fools.

Just exactly what kind of close calls are we calling for in this thread? Nearly burned the house down, or life threatening, or what? It is a firewood forum, you know.

It is a miracle that I am still alive, but I haven't been too close to burning the house down. I did set some wet wood on top of the stove once, just to get it dried off. That got a little bit exciting for a while. :crazy2:

Yes, we all know its a miracle you are still alive. Yes, I know this a firewood section. Yes, I am surprised you are NOT telling us how you set fire to Chicago

Was cutting small trees & brush off a steep hillside. Lost my footing & started going downhill, let go of saw with throttle hand to try & grab something so i didn't go ass over elbows. Bar dropped & chain hit my left leg at top of knee. Got a hold of small tree & got my balance back. Had a tear in my double front carhartts but thought i was ok. Took a couple steps back up hill to finish & started feeling something warm running down into my boots. Looked thru hole in jeans & saw a lot of meat & cartilage. Luckily my truck was close and had decent first aid supplies. ER doc said it was the closest he'd ever seen someone come to a kneecap with doing any serious damage. Few stitches & was good to go . Did get some chaps after that.

Were to start, widow maker hitting the rim of my cap and knocking the wind out of me when it hit my big gut and sticking in the ground about 10". Rolling a 69 dodge charger over 8 times at 80 miles per hour, falling out of the back window of a 60 Oldsmobile cutlass on the highway, may have been drinking involved in that one . My friends pulled me back in as i was hanging by my foot.

Just last year a hinge pin worked its way out on my blazin hot wood stove and the door flopped off.
Just yesterday I got the bright idea to clean the chimney, but forgot that the pipe damper was closed, so all the creosote landed on the damper.
I wondered why my shack was full of smoke.

Not me, but just this week a fellow worker at the paper plant got a call his house was on fire. Fortunately he lives within 1/2 mile of the plant.
He grabbed three extinguishers from the break room and headed home to a house full of smoke.

A chimney fire had started and directly across from where the stove pipe entered the chimney was a clean out or a spot where another stove had been previously.

At some point a cupboard had been built in this area. The action of the chimney fire blew out the clean out cap and started the cupboard on fire.
Unbeknown to him there was a small kerosene lamp in the cupboard which ignited as well.

The small rural fire department didn't have enough members to respond and the closest fire department to respond was 12 miles away.

Luckily he was able to extinguish most of the fire with the borrowed extinguishers before they arrived and the fire was limited to a small area, so overhaul damage was minimal.

Still made a mess and was a very close call.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My neighbour was burning brush and caught the woods on fire so he called the fire dept.
When the fire captain asked how to get there the neighbour said, " do you still have that big red truck?"

Exactly what is white gas?
White gas is the fuel used for lanterns and Coleman stoves before they started canning the stuff and selling it by the quart. It was basically unleaded fuel that was never intended to burn in an engine, without all the additives you will find in a modern unleaded.

Latest posts

Back