What close calls have you had?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coleman fuel. Once upon a time, you could buy it at a gas pump, much like kerosene. I was a bit young, but I can remember that only a few stations had a pump for it. You had to know your way around the town, 'cause it wasn't that common. I never knew why it was ever popular enough to have at the pump.

Way back in the day...

It had no lead in it so it could be used in the lanterns that used a 'mantle'. Lead would ruin the mantle in short order.

Well crap lol I was mowing with my scags walkbehind last night in my shorts and that dern thing I thought threw a stone out hit me in leg. Anyway I finished mowing and played with the dog etc. I finally came in the house and decided to look at where the stone hit me. I found a copper wire about an 1 and 1/4 " long embedded about 1/2" deep into my friggin leg :surprised3: I pulled it out then peroxide and alcohol bath, dern thing :eek: It was a piece of my doggy fence wire I should of been wearing pants but i highly doubt it would of stopped the wire !

Couple years ago we were finishing a 40 acre job. All the equipment had been pulled off except an excavator. Property owner decided to have it re-surveyed to put the permanent pins in and come to fine out the surveyor goofed and there was still a 50 ft wide swatch the whole length.

We decided to just pull the trees out with the 200 (pecker poles), limb and top by hand and skid/deck with the little Case TR270. Hauling in a skidder and the delimber and hauling back out would have been~ $1500.

Anyhow, I was showing my hired hand how to top and limb trees, how to not constantly pinch the bar.
Somehow I completely misread the pressure on a tree top. Little pecker pole, maybe 8" dbh and 60ft tall.
As I cut through, it whipped back right in the shins. About swept my feet out of under me.

Ripped the skin clean off, and that was with chaps, jeans and long johns on!

I played it off... "see, right there i was just showing that's what you don't do" haha!

Today I was up a post oak dead the top blown out on a buddies roof. He was worried thee rest would fall as 3 other tree men said it was hollow ! I beat it with my hand sledge looked at him and said no its not hollow but the top might be. I climb up took few limbs out get up to top put hand up to where the busted top was it was hollow so i climbed up to look in the hollow and met a coon. I was glad it didn't bite my finger off when my hand was there lol. Anyway my bud was adamant we need to get it down yada yada. I said well I don't really want to be in a fight with a coon in the tree and told him I have been there before it was not real fun. Well you know how buds are c-mon bro, lol so I got in a position where when it came out I could see it and had a bit of distance. I was hoping it would stay in but soon as I put the 372 in the tied chunk he pops out at first he went like he was heading down but then popped back up in the leap position . I blipped the throttle pushed it at him and lucky for us both he went down the tree. I hate coon piss man those dudes stink it got all over me :cool:

Well crap lol I was mowing with my scags walkbehind last night in my shorts and that dern thing I thought threw a stone out hit me in leg. Anyway I finished mowing and played with the dog etc. I finally came in the house and decided to look at where the stone hit me. I found a copper wire about an 1 and 1/4 " long embedded about 1/2" deep into my friggin leg :surprised3: I pulled it out then peroxide and alcohol bath, dern thing :eek: It was a piece of my doggy fence wire I should of been wearing pants but i highly doubt it would of stopped the wire !

Not fun, but pretty tame compared to what happened to one of my guys a few years back.

He was running one of my commercial trimmers, and it threw a piece of wire right through his foot! From one side, through the boot, and out the other side. :mad:

He was literally stapled into the boot, with the wire going through both sides. I told him to get ready, that the emergency room would be chopping up his boot. He didn't like that option, but he was stuck with it.

I discovered that he left the string trimmer on the job. When I sprinted to the jobsite about 45 minutes later, it was still on the ground where he dropped it...puttering peacefully at idle.

Yes, Rope, I did figure it that close; almost. Because I made the stump extra tall to take away from the final landing spot, I failed to calculate the extra foot or two that it would jump off the stump because of the extra height. So...it was a pinch closer than I expected.
Yeah I saw the high stump I do that often sometimes at 10 foot! Sometimes a huge openface to tame the jump too.

If you are using a ascender to tension your pull line, be careful, it can cut the rope with enough tension.

Good eye! We weren't pulling quite that hard. I just like to give my guys a bit of leverage. The tree was leaning distinctly away from us, but we had a very favorable breeze and the pull rope was set rather tall in the tree.

The very worst time to decide that you need more mechanical advantage is after you have made the back cut and the tree is settling on your saw. Besides, I don't think three guys on a 2:1 advantage could ever separate or hurt a rope rated at 6k. Petzl doesn't seem to publish load ratings on the ascender, but their hand ascenders are very gentle on a rope.

Petzl has an excellent .pdf file that shows how NOT to load your ascender so that it cuts the rope or fails some other way. Until I read it tonight, I wasn't aware of the hazard or how to correct it. I think they indicate that it should not be loaded greater than 4kN to 6kN. Quite frankly, I don't read "universal symbols" well enough to know exactly what they said.

Look on this page for the link: https://www.petzl.com/GB/en/Sport/Ascenders/ASCENSION

Good eye! We weren't pulling quite that hard. I just like to give my guys a bit of leverage. The tree was leaning distinctly away from us, but we had a very favorable breeze and the pull rope was set rather tall in the tree.

The very worst time to decide that you need more mechanical advantage is after you have made the back cut and the tree is settling on your saw. Besides, I don't think three guys on a 2:1 advantage could ever separate or hurt a rope rated at 6k. Petzl doesn't seem to publish load ratings on the ascender, but their hand ascenders are very gentle on a rope.

Petzl has an excellent .pdf file that shows how NOT to load your ascender so that it cuts the rope or fails some other way. Until I read it tonight, I wasn't aware of the hazard or how to correct it. I think they indicate that it should not be loaded greater than 4kN to 6kN. Quite frankly, I don't read "universal symbols" well enough to know exactly what they said.

Look on this page for the link: https://www.petzl.com/GB/en/Sport/Ascenders/ASCENSION

Three guys pulling on a 2:1 with a ascender can shred a rope. I've done it. I thought the same exact thing you currently think. If you do some searches on youtube you can probably find discussions on the topic. Ascenders are meant for ascending, not pulling over trees. Be safe.

I go to a hypnotist to have all close calls removed from memory. Never had one:cheers:. Still don't know how I got that scar on my left leg, or the ones across 3 fingers on my left hand, Joe.

Well with lots of thought, I remember how I cut those 3 fingers. My first rule is always keep your thumb wrapped around the handle in case of a kick back. Back in the mid 70's we had a job clearing a lot for a new house. It was a stand of the most beautiful Tulip Poplar trees, all 3' to 4', veneer quality. We begged the home owner to let us take them to the mill. He said no, it would be years of fire wood. We had to top out a few that opened up lanes to throw the rest. Spent a couple days chipping all the brush into a giant pile. Then Dad dropped me and 2 other guys off to start bucking the wood. Two of us had the then new Homelite Super 1050's with 36" bars. The third guy was just a gopher for us. When we thought we were getting low on fuel, we would wave him over, cut back on the throttle a bit, and he would gas us up, never stopping the saw. After several hours of this, my hands were getting numb from the vibration and tight grip. So, with the saw at full throttle, I rested my palm on top of the handle for a little down pressure, and started wiggling my fingers to get the blood flowing in them. The dang tip of the saw hit the log next to mine and shot back across my pinkie and the next two fingers. Wrapped them up in a red hanky and went back to work. The next time the gopher came by to fuel up, he saw the mass of the hanky dripping blood and started freaking out. He thought I had cut all my fingers off and was still working. Those three fingers, when it gets much below 45 degrees get cold and start to turn kinda yellow, and I have to put on gloves. Other than that they work fine, Joe.

Latest posts

Back