What Could Have Caused This

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You do NOT want to try to remove the transfered aluminum from the piston with a hone. By the time the aluminum's gone, you'll likely have worn through the plating elsewhere in the cylinder. You want to use acid (is it Muratic?) and a Q-tip to remove the aluminum. Then you can lightly hone the cylinder. It looks to me like it may be salvageable.

Look at the spark plug in the second cylinder picture. I think that pretty much tells the story.

I saw a good used piston & cyl on ebay a few days ago with a BIN for around $35

Looks like the saw was run lean to me.

All of my SXL/XL-12 saws have always "Felt" a little loose on the big end rod bearing & Ive never had one come apart yet.

RBW: What do you think ?? You dont know anything about Homelites do you....:)

i thought suckback only happened on stihl's.

:jawdrop:

J/K!
all my saws where leaner than the plug in that pic out of the box. after looking at the pics again im in the cold seize camp.

Last edited:
RBW: What do you think ?? You dont know anything about Homelites do you....:)

I think its a Tecomec replacement cylinder as it looks like hell all over.

Having said this, I think it might clean up, but its hard to tell without it in my hand. If your worried about side/side play in the lower rod bearing, its not an issue, if it has severe lean, ie it can be rocked side/side angularly this might be an issue.

For some of the popular dirt bike engines theres measurements that will tell you how far gone the lower brgs are. These are pressed cranks and they are serviced much differently.

This issue always causes ppl concern, but look at it this way, The engine needs to be lubed, and lube takes up space. Without a certain amount of play built in from the beginning, the brgs would push the lube out of the way and it wouldnt lube. Couple this with the brgs running in over the first few hours of use and there is more play yet, which is normal.

How much play is too much?

I dunno.

Now, having said that, this play is with your old brgs, correct?

Do you have/know how to use a micrometer?

wait

Lemme look dude. I think my cousin has a non running SXL. I'll check the p/c and if it's good I'll send it to you for parts. I've got a SXL, but it's still in decent shape and I use it from time to time, sentimental and all.... Mine zapped me in the head when I was young and left me scarred so I keep it around...

:cheers: eh?

Back