What do you do to make starting the splitter easier during cold temperatures?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How old/new is this motor? Any reason you should check the compression? New spark plug?

I like the coil fix - it's easy and relatively affordable.

I'm a HUGE fan of starting fluid... It just plain works.

Don't overdo it, though. Just a little squirt in the carb (one second Fssst!), let it sit for 5-10sec., pull and fast idle. I never squirt it in after the engine has been running.

I try to stay away from ether if I can matter of fact I gave the only can I had away the other day. WD-40 works great and is easier on an engine in my opinion! You do usually have to remove the air filter though.

WD-40 works great and is easier on an engine in my opinion! You do usually have to remove the air filter though.

Huh... that's interesting. I know WD-40 is full of petroleum distillates but any time I've gotten it down an intake (didn't have Gumout for the choke linkage), it bogged down the motor terribly.

Maybe I'll try it this winter on my snowblower. :)

Try 5-30W Oil it's what is required for snowblowers and mostly any small engine in colder weather.

If that fails you have different issue, carb or spark issues.

I just take the two bolts out that hold the hydraulic pump on the engine,slide the pump off the crankshaft(make sure the spyder comes off with the pump) and then start the engine.let the engine run about 5 minutes,shut down and then put all back together again.With the coldest temps.,the engine will fire on the 1st pull with the cold hyd. oil.Takes about 2 minutes to remove the pump and is a lot easier on me . Scott

I replaced my Hydraulic Fluid with a Low Viscosity Fluid Available from John Deere, Made all the difference in the world for starting!

Hi Mike, Your air filter/cleaner should be easy enuff to pull off and give it a healthy shot of amsoil MP (metal protector). 1 pull you should be in business. MP has lubricant & won't evaporate as fast or burn off your eye brows. I guess you need to determine if it's due to the engine being cold, the hydraulic being cold, or both.

Last edited:
Im thinkin for really cold areas you could put a centrifigal clutch on your engine that way you could start it easier and let it warm up. Then rev engine up to engage clutch thus turn the pump.
I would buy a heavy duty centrifigul clutch and take off the pulley or sprocket , then weld on half of the lovejoy coupling and balance it. This would give you a freewheel option for the engine to warm up.

try this stuff insted of ether

I use Berkebile 2+2 Instant Gum Cutter, its a great carb cleaner and doubles as a starting fluid thats not as rough on engines as ether.

When at home, I'll put a salamnder heater on it for 15 minutes and it'll start right up.

Maybe the starter is just getting weaker.

I had a B/S engine on a snow blower and it never started when it got colder. I found out that I had a crack in the head gasket and in the cold weather this would expand and make it hard to start. Some 15 years later I used that same engine on my long splitter and had a weak spark. Thought it was the coil and the repair shop told me to clean my points. Sure enough that time it was the points. This summer my lawn mower was starting hard and I found the key in the flywheel was off just enough to make a difference.

I'm from the old school and always try to pre-heat my little engines. When we flew our airplanes in the winter, there is an old saying, pre-heat the engine when you need to wear a jacket. Many time we where were not around electric so to pre-heat the engine we took a weed burner, the type that connects to a LP tank. We would tarp the engine, took a 6 inch stove pipe about 4 feet long and put one end under the tarp and the burner in the other end. The natural draft would be enough to keep the stove pipe cool enough and yet heat the engine. We used this idea to pre heat our log splitter for many years. Even now I pre heat the new Speeco when it gets in the 20’s. I tarp the splitter, and heat the splitter with my LP heater. It gives me time for an extra cup of coffee and allows the fluids to warm up a little. Even now I think about the 4 wheelers and how to pre-heat them when I’m on the lake fishing when it’s -18 below.

Switch the crankcase to full synthetic oil for easier starts. I did this with my portable standby generator that lives outside as well. Starts easily now even in the dead of winter.

I can't believe the most obvious has been overlooked. What I do to make it start easier is use the little button that engages the electric starter. Makes for real easy starting.:hmm3grin2orange:

Hondas always star easier than other brands. I have a Honda on my logsplitter and it starts up great with Amsoil 10w30 full sythedic in it. Also I have synthedic in for hydralic oil. Amsoil synthedic mKes the difference. I have a cub cadet that would need to warm up for 20 minutes or mire before it would move in the winter so I changed it to amsoil synthedic and it will move as soon as it starts. I usuly give it a few minutes to warm up though. My $0.02

Have you tried just swinging it around 'til it hits something? That's what I do, works pretty good. When it gets I warm I take the jacket off it, then it runs for hours.

Sorry, I was bored.

Back