What do you do to pull yourself over the branch at the top?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForTheArborist

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Basically the problem is climbing to the TIP, and then getting on top of the branch to keep branch/wood from swinging right back into myself for being on the bottom side of the branch and right next to the cut. Very awkward either way; getting hit by the cut, or just pulling myself up over the top of the branch to get out of the way of the branch/wood.

In the past I've used a stirrup to get over, but it just kicks out making it an absolute fight to get over on it.

I suppose tying up higher than the branch first, and then limb walking out there is really the typical technique. That is fine for a broad Oak branch, but a narrow pepper tree with its papery bark is no good for walking on in my boots. Then there's straddling the branch all the way out there which is more trouble than it's worth. :msp_thumbdn:

I agree, definitely tie in higher than the branch you're trying to get on top of. I know you said you tried a stirrup before, but maybe an aider 8 step would help a little better. Plus its easy to snap this thing into srt.

Petzlwallstepetrieraider.jpg

worst case theres the big wall ladder, but I'd get laughed at bigtime, even by the rock climbers for even having it in my gear bag. Every tool has a purpose I guess though.

Wall-Ladder-Master01B.jpg

generally true

generally one does not climb above his TIP anyway... best bet is to tie in higher from the git go. unless your some kind of gymnast

true, but the need to climb above the TIP will arise, and we have to be adaptable and "flexible" hahahaha.

I had to go above mine recently, taking the dead top out of a tree that had been struck by lightning, tied into a safe point below the dead portion.

Plus if all you have is the branch youre removing, for some reason, then you'll have to do the gymnast thing lol. or the 8 step etrier lol

I agree, definitely tie in higher than the branch you're trying to get on top of. I know you said you tried a stirrup before, but maybe an aider 8 step would help a little better. Plus its easy to snap this thing into srt.

Petzlwallstepetrieraider.jpg

worst case theres the big wall ladder, but I'd get laughed at bigtime, even by the rock climbers for even having it in my gear bag. Every tool has a purpose I guess though.

Wall-Ladder-Master01B.jpg

I like the top one, and you just get a length of rope and a biner to hold it up on the horizontal branch. Wrap around the branch, and clip it to the rope. More than likely an ascender type device to synch up the rope to the exact diameter of the branch is gonna keep the top of the ladder from hanging too low below the branch.

I like the top one, and you just get a length of rope and a biner to hold it up on the horizontal branch. Wrap around the branch, and clip it to the rope. More than likely an ascender type device to synch up the rope to the exact diameter of the branch is gonna keep the top of the ladder from hanging too low below the branch.

you could also use one of the nylon or dyneema runner slings. They come in handy for lots of things, girth hitching them as a handle or stirrup around a branch, or using them to make a handle on a bigger peice of wood if you still want to be able to one-hand toss it.

I try to set my rope from the ground once only, as high as possible. Big shot is great, and at least 2 throw line sets with a light and heavy ball for height on the light and for penetration of dense canopies on the heavy. On a wide spreading tree I'll often set 2 or 3 ropes from the ground. It's best practice and sure saves a lot of time in the tree. Re-throwing in the tree is a big time waster.

Having said that, for whatever reason if you have to get above your tip then sometimes re-throwing works. Get as high as you can, and re-throw the tail of your rope to the next highest branch. You can either use a coil that self releases, or one with a gasket hitch in place of a throw bag. Use a second prussik to attach your new TIP and climb on.

If there are no more branches above your tip or too far to the next one then your options change with your size/agility. One I use on branches that are close to horizontal is a 'mantle' move. Just the same thing you'd use to get over the top of a brick wall. both hands on branch, pull yourself up and over, then push down with both hands to lift yourself up as high as you can. Get one leg up and you're pretty much done. You can brace your back against the trunk for extra balance. You need to give yourself plenty of rope slack or you wont make it.

If you're fat or unflexible then a ladder can work ;-)

Shaun

[QUOTE If you're fat or unflexible then a ladder can work ;-) Shaun[/QUOTE]

Sadly I resemble that remark these days

hang by your lanyard and use a set of sticks to set your self a higher TIP. Or if your tired or FAT* lol...i have been eyeing a Pantin foot ascender then you can stand up into the crotch... OR set a loop runner with sticks in a choker and attach to that to get upif theres no branches or crotches..throw your legs up first, upside down!! and hand over hand up an in..

as far as horizontal branches like peppers ...do the scooch or crawl or walk..bottom line you want to not tire yourself out..but you know how that goes..

you could stand on a loop runner or even wrap the rope around your foot to stand on it,,bowline ect. Bottom line if theres not enough structure to be there you shouldnt. thats were the sticks and pole saw,,UHGG come into play. I just bought a power pruner i know its a little unweildy but alot of those large unreachable branches can be pruned from afar with one alot quicker than a polesaw just dont get it pinched or drop it..

It's mostly planning. go to your tip and look at what branches will interfere with moving around in the tree and if you can open it up a little and where your goign to struggle you must reset your tie in . I did some big ficus's today and there smooth and theres no branches i had to climb where i could find branches and retie where i could so i would end up back just a coupe feet away from where i was because i wasnt going to spike it. Then your doubling your flip fline so it locks hanging with no footholds just to make that cut. And dont leave a stub!!:msp_thumbup:

When I get stuck having to go over a branch that is also my tip, i climb up to it then put my lanyard around it, put slack in the climbing line and lift up my legs and use the climbing line as a hand hold and torque my self up and over. Of course any equipment you have with you will get tangled or stuck half way though the maneuver. I also carry with me some times some short 8mm rope and a small rope man ascender, and toss that up over something for leverage to help crawl over those difficult limbs. It best to try and avoid that whole situation with getting that tip up high. Beastmaster

You know a lot of times just keeping a length of rope and a biner tied on the end works for situations like this. Eucs often have long stretches with no branches at all, so you have to make a false step with the rope loop to just get to the next crotch.

The loop could work on the bottom/top side branch conversion we are talking about here. It's still a pain in the butt though. Any time you put that foot on any kind of line hanging from the bottom of the branch it kicks out. Basically you're going in the wrong direction because the foot hold is kicking out.

Eh, there's no easy way to do this unless you have a TIP higher than the branch. :bang:

That'll work. If you get your srt rope up high enough you can just snake the end around as needed. Your only hindered by your imagination. With that being said, I always anchor on the ground so I can easily retrieve my rope.
You can also put a prussic with a pulley on the SRT line(an alpine butterfly knot under the prussic), and ddrt off it any where on the line.

You can also put a prussic with a pulley on the SRT line(an alpine butterfly knot under the prussic), and ddrt off it any where on the line.

+100

:D Will definitely be using that one next time. I think you just made me richer. Hmmmmmmm

generally one does not climb above his TIP anyway... best bet is to tie in higher from the git go. unless your some kind of gymnast
All climbers need to remain gymnasts you can't solely rely on gizmos an gear.... yes i agree mechanical advantages are good an srt is flash but noone has a place calling themselves a climber ...if they cant F in climb. Thoughtsssssssssssss please

Sounds like an exorbitant amount of work versus gaffes and a buck strap, I'm just saying I've had people on here who say climbing w/o them is just as easy, but I just can't see it.

Sounds like an exorbitant amount of work versus gaffes and a buck strap, I'm just saying I've had people on here who say climbing w/o them is just as easy, but I just can't see it.
If u set your self up right it's just as easy. Where we work a homeowner would kill u if u spiked there trees. It is no joke around here. If you do a spike trim and the co finds out ur fired no questions!

Back