What do you do with old chains?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At 67 now, I started using saws when I was about 12 I guess. I have never used any chain but Oregon and almost always ran out of adjuster before chain was wore out. Always tried to file min of strokes to remove as little material as possible. I just thought it was normal to take links out as chain stretched, If I didn't have enough new chains and links for the 3 saws I have now to last me the rest of my life, I would like to try a Stihl chain on my Echo 550. The more I read, the more I see the need to try something different, that is if I had to do it over again. Have a good one.

At 67 now, I started using saws when I was about 12 I guess. I have never used any chain but Oregon and almost always ran out of adjuster before chain was wore out. Always tried to file min of strokes to remove as little material as possible. I just thought it was normal to take links out as chain stretched, If I didn't have enough new chains and links for the 3 saws I have now to last me the rest of my life, I would like to try a Stihl chain on my Echo 550. The more I read, the more I see the need to try something different, that is if I had to do it over again. Have a good one.
Oregon chain isn't bad but Stihl chain can't be beat in my opinion.

How may drive links and what profile?

It's handy to have some spare drive links and tie straps for adjusting chains. A used chain still has 'usable' parts on it for repairs. I know, I know....you should always use brands new components when mending chain, but...

I'm no pro by any means, just firewood for the family and a few loads to sale every once in a while. Saws mostly have had 16, 18, 20 in bars 62 links? 3/8 3/8 low pro and stock cs400, I forget profile #91? Never had a oil problem so a dry chain was no problem. New links, just started using them the last few yrs, always put used links in to somewhat match the chain. I guess I was like Abe Lincoln, I did a lot of learning on my own, some may have been not so good, but never got hurt BAD and kept us warm. My uncle does ask me every once in a while do I remember the chain grabbing my jacket and jerking up close to my nose, no I don't remember that. GOD is good and takes care of us doing stupid stuff. I find sawmill scrap is easier on my back now but if a storm comes along and I can help and get a little free wood, I'll do what I can. Have a BLESSED DAY.

I did something similar, but with my chop saw.
I was buying the cheaper carbide blades and not the more expensive Diablo carbide blades that ran about twice as much.
I figured, a carbide blade is a carbide blade. Boy! was I wrong.
I finally broke down and sprog for the Diablo blade.
Those Diablo blades are awesome!
I will never buy the cheaper blades again.
They cut 10 better, the curf is thinner, they last 10 as long.
I put one in my skill saw and it cuts so well, it almost feeds itself.
Might be time to try something different.

I did something similar, but with my chop saw.
I was buying the cheaper carbide blades and not the more expensive Diablo carbide blades that ran about twice as much.
I figured, a carbide blade is a carbide blade. Boy! was I wrong.
I finally broke down and sprog for the Diablo blade.
Those Diablo blades are awesome!
I will never buy the cheaper blades again.
They cut 10 better, the curf is thinner, they last 10 as long.
I put one in my skill saw and it cuts so well, it almost feeds itself.
Might be time to try something different.
Big time!

It's handy to have some spare drive links and tie straps for adjusting chains. A used chain still has 'usable' parts on it for repairs. I know, I know....you should always use brands new components when mending chain, but...

Just A hunch but if you are going to stock these chain parts you might want to throw in a chain breaker also. My Son got me a chain breaker and an assortment of links for Christmas last year that comes in handy in these situations. Came in handy when I bought 10 used chains for my 455 Rancher saw off of Craigs list that were all only 1/4 used up. I think the guy had someone make them up and somehow an extra link was added because there was no more take up on any of them. Paid $50 bucks for all of the chains shortened them, sharpened them, filed the rakers and they all work great.

When I run in down Russian olive and black locust, it eats chains. You know it is bad when you see the dust flying out of the cut. I try to keep a rim and chain together as a set, it does help.

Hello, my name is Brian and I'm a toolaholic

When I run in down Russian olive and black locust, it eats chains. You know it is bad when you see the dust flying out of the cut. I try to keep a rim and chain together as a set, it does help.

Welcome to the forum! I recall meeting a guy on the WoodNet forum who called himself ToolFool. He was wrll named.

Thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking for a while and decided it was time to start contributing a little.

I have never in my life had a chain stretch that much. Even when I used box store Oregon chains they would outlast the boxstore Poulan chainsaws. Been using Stihl for 8 years now and still have the 3 chains that I bought with my 440. Never had any reason to replace any of them.
I dont know what kinda soft wood you boys cut up there..but down here in South Africa my saw runs through both wet and dry Eucalyptus and black wattle..and if I dont let the machine rest often..or I don't cool my bar and chain with water between cuts ...then it's not a month and that chain is stretched. And that's running a Stihl 382 with a new Stihl chain. Maybe we doing different thing..I cut 5-7 thanks of fuel a day boss...here we cut the **** out of wood

Very artistic, uncle. I have about 20 used chains that a logger gave me. Each are for 30" bars. I could make these art forms for days.

Not my work. In fact, I don't even know how they get them stuck in those shapes. I don't see any welding. If it were me, I'd zap them with the welder in the most hidden spot, but it would still be visible.

I dont know what kinda soft wood you boys cut up there..but down here in South Africa my saw runs through both wet and dry Eucalyptus and black wattle..and if I dont let the machine rest often..or I don't cool my bar and chain with water between cuts ...then it's not a month and that chain is stretched. And that's running a Stihl 382 with a new Stihl chain. Maybe we doing different thing..I cut 5-7 thanks of fuel a day boss...here we cut the **** out of wood
I mostly cut Red Elm for my firewood. This stuff is hard. In dim light you can actually see sparks flying off the chain as you cut it. I bought my MS440 in 2007. I still have the original 3 chains that I bought with the saw. I cut about 5 cords a year.

Latest posts

Back