What do you do with your "scraps"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemniii

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Those first flitches, mostly bark. Those "whoops" where the wood splits down the center and you cut off a few feet. All the leftovers bigger than chips? All those branches to small to mill?

Just wondering how the rest of you process this potentially valuable waste.

I see that stuff mostly as firewood, but will occasionally cut out smaller pieces for turning stock IF it has curly/burly grain or birdseye.

Mostly firewood. If I get a slab that is nice and consistent (especially eastern red cedar or hedge), I'll set it aside for rustic furniture. A chipper for the small stuff is on my short list of things to buy.

Wow, I like the fence. By the time I got down one side, and started on the second side (of a 7 acre field), the first side would have returned to nature, Joe.

I chainsaw it up to heat my house and shop durning the winter months,

standard.jpg

I almost have it all used up right now...

SR

I had a guy take a few of mine to make signs. Other than that I haven't found much use for them .

I stack them in this jig and then cut them for firewood. I have been cutting a lot of dunage lately so I end up with a lot of big thick slabs. I don;t have a market for 1xs so I square the cant at the size I need for dunnage. I end up with some really think slabs.

Scott

My homebuilt Linn BSM should be up and running next month (painting the carriage this weekend). I hope to cull out a few of the barked slabs and use them for vertical siding on a couple firewood storage sheds. The rest my nephew and I will share to feed his OWB and my Jotul woodstove. I may build some wood-duck and owl houses also.

Well here's what I plan on doing with my "scraps".

View attachment 291212
Jinma 8" chipper in my Ford F350

View attachment 291215
Chipper on my Kubota M4700

View attachment 291213
Chipper eating a 20' plus vine.

It's got an 8" throat and so far I've fed hardwood pieces about 5" diameter thru. I'm pretty sure if I keep my "barked slabs" under 8" wide and 2" thick it will chew them up like candy and spit them out like confetti.

I usually give it away so I don't have to burn it in the 'barrel' out back. Be surprised how many people have those little burn ring things right nearby that are looking for some free stuff to burn. Then again, maybe they bought them after I started giving firewood away?

Scott (firewood rules) B

Latest posts

Back