What do you guys pay for crane rental?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Log hog

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you use cranes out there and what you pay for renting them. I've been in the biz for over 10 yrs and have never used one, but last week I gave it a shot and am loving it and can't wait to use one again. I can't believe the wear and tear I saved on my body and equipment. I was impressed on the time I saved also. Just want a little info. Thanks.

I was wondering if any of you use cranes out there and what you pay for renting them. I've been in the biz for over 10 yrs and have never used one, but last week I gave it a shot and am loving it and can't wait to use one again. I can't believe the wear and tear I saved on my body and equipment. I was impressed on the time I saved also. Just want a little info. Thanks.

$95 an hour for a 28 ton boom truck, $140 an hour for a 40 ton truck crane, $230 an hour for a 65 ton crane. Haven't been able to justify the big one yet but I will soon hopefully.

$280 an hour for a 70 ton, it's a bout the only thing i use, overkill in most cases... yes. but when i'm taking taking logs strait off the stump, over a house and onto a log truck headed to the mill the time and work is cut in half. after all time = money :rock:

$280 an hour for a 70 ton, it's a bout the only thing i use, overkill in most cases... yes. but when i'm taking taking logs strait off the stump, over a house and onto a log truck headed to the mill the time and work is cut in half. after all time = money :rock:

Does that thing set up on any street? There must be a lot of jobs you can place it.

We use a 70 ton Grove and the operator is very smooth and knowledgeable! He usually charges $285 an hour, but i have worked out a deal with him for $195. It's a 2009, and has all the bells and whistles. Set up sometimes is limited due to size and weight. But we do mainly rural jobs. Can't fit one of those babies into a city driveway (unless its gravel) or you will be paying for a new paving job! But yep using it is awesome!

Thanks a lot guys. The guy I use has a 25 ton and charges 100 and hr. I called him late notice today @ 1:30 and he showed up @ 4:30. He drove 15 miles each way and made two 6000 lb picks for a $100 I was very happy with that. I think it maybe time to say goodbye to the Harley and hello to a crane next year! I always wanted to try it and now I think I'm hooked. It saves me so much time and wear and tear on the body.

Thanks a lot guys. The guy I use has a 25 ton and charges 100 and hr. I called him late notice today @ 1:30 and he showed up @ 4:30. He drove 15 miles each way and made two 6000 lb picks for a $100 I was very happy with that. I think it maybe time to say goodbye to the Harley and hello to a crane next year! I always wanted to try it and now I think I'm hooked. It saves me so much time and wear and tear on the body.

At that price for an operator and crane why would you want to own it?

That's why I said maybe. It would be sweet but I will have to see how the economy is next year. But man its got me thinking. There's a lot of thinks to take in and figure out if I really want one for sure.

My spider man senses tell me track boom lift for you maybe, crane for you maybe not.

You'll take a little track lift any where around the houses, but you cant get the crane out on every job.

Unless that co. is doing a million a year, my bet is renting the cranes is the most you can do. Im trusting my senses on this.

Wow, does he have a crack problem? $100 and hour, no travel charges, no min charge? That rate is unheard of, especially with 15 miles of travel. At that rate there is no reason to ever buy your own. Unless of course he is a hard pipe hitting opp

crane rates

unbelievable !!! things sure are different in wisconsin.

If your company owns a crane you'll use it more than you think, we'll bring ours out just to pick a log and save us 2hrs of labor. Crane out small trees by the road in 1 or 2 picks barely any rake up make things quick. 3 guys and a crane can do some damage, sometimes well drop a log and pick it up the next day on our way to do a crane removal. Plus if you own it while your guys are out doing a job that you dont need it on your out setting a/c units on roofs or whatever making money

I had him earlier do some work for me and he charged me $200 for about 1 1/2 hrs. He told me between 100-125 and hour. He owns them personally so its not to much skin off his back. Should I make something or nothing is what he thinks. I even offered to pay him a little extra on the last job and he refused to take it. He seems like a great guy. Cant to do more work with him.

Does that thing set up on any street? There must be a lot of jobs you can place it.

if there is a will there is a way. my normal operator is readt to try anything once, and have went to extremes at times to make things happen. i'll see if i can find some pics to post

In our buisness we use cranes almost every day and we have a few of our own, so it definately makes cuttin trees down a heck of a lot easier. But all of those hourly rates are pretty close to what I see most of the time. There was a crane o our jobsite on monday that charges 30,000 to bring in and 30,000 to haul out and 1,000 an hourly rate! Manituwok 660 ton

Back