What do you guys think of the Stihl MS 250?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't like the 355t. They are highly regarded by anyone I talked to that has one.
I really do like it. But other than using it for low brush removal on the ground I don’t climb with it, it sits a lot. I don’t collect so if it’s not getting used I feel like it should find a better home.

I really do like it. But other than using it for low brush removal on the ground I don’t climb with it, it sits a lot. I don’t collect so if it’s not getting used I feel like it should find a better home.
I see. I've thought several times about getting a top handle, I talk myself out of it because I'm afraid I will hurt myself with it using it with one hand.

I see. I've thought several times about getting a top handle, I talk myself out of it because I'm afraid I will hurt myself with it using it with one hand.
I think the 355 is pretty safe one handed, the power comes on smooth with no surprises. But, that’s exactly why I don’t climb with it, when I’m in the tree I want something hot and quick on the power.

The echo power blend oil is very good stuff if you happened to pick some up while you were there. It's very clean burning and even cleans up carbon build up left by other oils.
No, but I picked up a one-gallon can of the Kawasaki gas/oil mix UNTIL I learned it cost $33! I couldn't put it back on the shelf fast enough. 33 friggin dollars for one gallon?! I guess I'll be mixing mine.

If I can figure out how to post in the tradin post section I’m going to list this for a good price. And also a 355t and maybe a 455 rancher. This thread made want a little echo for real!
I am also trying to figure out how to post in the tradin post. I think I can with a $20 membership but just started looking into it. I have been reading a lot recently but am fairly new to the site. I have an extra arbor trolley id like to post for sale.

No, but I picked up a one-gallon can of the Kawasaki gas/oil mix UNTIL I learned it cost $33! I couldn't put it back on the shelf fast enough. 33 friggin dollars for one gallon?! I guess I'll be mixing mine.
I meant to say Red Armor oil. Yeah the premix is expensive but it's good for storage and limited use.

This is/has been the main complaint against Echo in this forum. They come too lean from the factory, never re-tuned by the dealer or big box store and then burn up in short order. Once re-tuned properly they should be fine. Finding someone to do this properly might be problematic if your dealer doesn't have experience with this.

Am I correct in assuming that this is a strato-saw with a limited coil? Strato design makes it more "touchy" to correct air/fuel ratio while a limited coil makes it harder to differentiate between 4-stroking and coil limiting when tuning.
Never say never. When we bought a 590 and 310 from a servicing dealer at 20% of Echo Days or whatever they used to call them he insisted on fueling them both up and tuning them before going out the door. I said fine. He said Echo's come in lean from the factory. They've both been great saws. This dealer is a big dealer dealing in multiple brands and they know what they're doing.

On another note we run nothing but Echo Red Armor mixed with 93 non-ethanol gas. Since switching to this combo we've had no fuel related issues, knock on wood.

When you know your going to burn a few gallons of fuel go to tractor supply in store or online and get a quart of VP synthetic two cycle oil for 8.99, use non ethanol marine gas only in small equipment, the octane number is less important than the fact it contains no ethanol. If you only need to burn a tank or two of fuel get the gallon cans of VP pre mixed gas, year its expensive but it is not the same as the pump gas and it will store for years even if left in the saw without issue. Run it at a 40:1 ratio.

When you know your going to burn a few gallons of fuel go to tractor supply in store or online and get a quart of VP synthetic two cycle oil for 8.99, use non ethanol marine gas only in small equipment, the octane number is less important than the fact it contains no ethanol. If you only need to burn a tank or two of fuel get the gallon cans of VP pre mixed gas, year its expensive but it is not the same as the pump gas and it will store for years even if left in the saw without issue. Run it at a 40:1 ratio.
I'm fortunate in that one of the local chains of gas/convenience stores sells non-ethanol 91 octane gasoline. That with Stihl synthetic mix oil and I've never had fuel related problems. The pistons and cylinders look nice and clean in my Stihl pro saws, Stihl HT131 pole saw, back pack blower, FS130 trimmer and hedge clippers. The spark arresters have never clogged and show no carbon buildup. Right now it costs me about $6.50-$7 per gallon for the gas and mix oil as gas prices are way up. I use the same gasoline in my push mower, zero turn mower, brush mower, and snow blower.

My son sells Stihl and Husky equipment and he tells me that a surprising number of people buy the premixed stuff, including pros who buy 5 gallon cans of it. Me personally, I've been using 10-15 gallons of fuel per year and the thought of paying the current price of $40+/gallon strikes me as crazy! He also told me that they are seeing big cost increases for petroleum products, parts and outdoor power equipment in general.

I've heard guys express concerns about mixing their own fuel... not getting the ratio correct. A simple way to get it right is to add the mix oil to the empty fuel can and then pump the exact amount of gasoline from the gas pump. For example, use a 2.6 oz bottle of Stihl HP Ultra mix oil and then pump exactly 1 gallon gasoline into the can. To save $30/gallon it's worth the effort!

https://www.stewartsshops.com/91-premium-non-ethanol-gasoline/

Simply mark your tank on the side all the way around using a acrylic paint pen at gallon/liter intervals at the gas pump, do not set the tank in front of the pump as the ground is angled away to allow more fuel into a cars gas tank at fill up. Instead use the concrete on the sides of the pump or the raised section around it as it should be level there.

Back