What do you guys think of the Stihl MS 250?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update from the OP. I fired up the Echo CS-590 for the first time today, and did a little bit of firewood cutting. Initial impressions. It doesn't seem as well built as the Stihl. The Stihl feels more solid, better put together. I especially don't like the oil and gas caps, the Stihl has a better design there.

As far as power, it has about the same as the old Stihl MS 311 I used to have.

Update from the OP. I fired up the Echo CS-590 for the first time today, and did a little bit of firewood cutting. Initial impressions. It doesn't seem as well built as the Stihl. The Stihl feels more solid, better put together. I especially don't like the oil and gas caps, the Stihl has a better design there.

Not happy with it 🙁?

They are built well, very reliable. They plastic may have a cheap feel to it but it's as good as any other. I think the fuel tank opening is a little small on my 352, but have had no problem from the cap. I do not like the Stihl Flippy caps, but the Husqvarna flippy caps are great. I even bought a set for my Dolmar.
You should be able to tell an increase in power after a few tanks.

They are built well, very reliable. They plastic may have a cheap feel to it but it's as good as any other. I think the fuel tank opening is a little small on my 352, but have had no problem from the cap. I do not like the Stihl Flippy caps, but the Husqvarna flippy caps are great. I even bought a set for my Dolmar.
You should be able to tell an increase in power after a few tanks.
Echo plastic has a soft almost waxy feel to it. It can feel cheap if you are unfamiliar but I think it’s intentional, they seem to wear well from what I’ve seen from other saws owned by friends.

Thanks guys. Thanks to this thread I just stopped and bought a new 4910 for no good reason but the want to try it out. Thanks a lot. Really.
These forums will do that to you. Pics are required. I found myself looking at them on ebay last night. If I wasn't trying to save money for a big project, I would have ordered one. I did place a bid on a 3510 this morning before I was fully awake. I probably won't get it though.

These forums will do that to you. Pics are required. I found myself looking at them on ebay last night. If I wasn't trying to save money for a big project, I would have ordered one. I did place a bid on a 3510 this morning before I was fully awake. I probably won't get it though.
It’s fun though I can’t complain. Just need to sell one or two to offset it.
Going to throw it at a firewood pile tomorrow with my 550 and see how it feels. Will post some pics although not sure where to do that without hijacking this thread

Echo plastic has a soft almost waxy feel to it. It can feel cheap if you are unfamiliar but I think it’s intentional, they seem to wear well from what I’ve seen from other saws owned by friend

Going to throw it at a firewood pile tomorrow with my 550 and see how it feels. Will post some pics although not sure where to do that without hijacking this thread
I can't bring myself to sell one.

So far my cs-590 has met my expectations for a saw. It's an above average homeowner saw and with proper care will do exactly what you want it to. Pulls 24" bar in oak no problem, I've cut down alot of wood with it since March of 2020 Mostly oak maple and popple.

Attachments

• 20210410_120418.jpg
    20210410_120418.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 20210410_101539_resized.jpg
    20210410_101539_resized.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 20211113_121707.jpg
    20211113_121707.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 20211113_121720.jpg
    20211113_121720.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20211113_121742.jpg
    20211113_121742.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 9

Seems to me when new, the 590’s do have a bit of a “cheap” feel. Never ran a 311 but have got some time on a ms391 and the Echo is a tougher saw. I have to say though, that I’ve come to like and appreciate those Stihl clamshells. However, once that 590 gets a little patina on it, it will give a different impression, and the soft Echo plastic bounces back pretty good.

Local dealer just called and told me the parts to downsize the MS 250 from 18" to 14" are in so sometime this week when I head into town I'll pick them up and convert.
NOW ..
Used the MS261 yesterday to work on our would pile with daughter and boyfriend, I'm very impressed with the 261 ! Frankly, except for the very large oak, it kept up with the 362 without bothering the old rotator cuff much.
As far as only Stihl, I've owned Poulan, Jongersed, Homelite, Husqvarna. Have a couple Echo whipper sippers. Top trigger Husky went to son only because he's in a city and doesn't use his larger saw. It was a very nice saw but I don't need a top trigger to mark cuts for firewood sizing. The 570 was getting a bit heavy after rotator cuff injury.

I'd say it's a little late to be concerned about hijacking this thread. No big deal.

How did this thread go from Stihl MS250 to Echoes and Motorcycles to other subjects?
I have a MS250 and I can state freely it's the most tiresome saw to start I've ever had. Someone mentioned choke not working or being lean. No, just the opposite. The Stihl engineers didn't do there homework before releasing this saw. If you put the choke on and give anywhere between one pull or heaven forbid more, you flooded it. Then you wear yourself out clearing the cylinder with wide open throttle before it starts. Once started and subsequent hot starts are no problem and it performs well, just don't let it cool off again. Like I said, not engineered well. Oh yes, Stihl knows it's a pain in A$$ to start but they won't do anything to correct the problem for owners. They should have had a total recall to fix this MODEL MS 250 but I guess there engineers never figured out a FIX. I own many other Stihl products, but I won't buy any more because Stihl has known about the problems starting with this model since DAY ONE but refused to take care of the customers. So yes some people just give it away because it's a POS.

How did this thread go from Stihl MS250 to Echoes and Motorcycles to other subjects?
I have a MS250 and I can state freely it's the most tiresome saw to start I've ever had. Someone mentioned choke not working or being lean. No, just the opposite. The Stihl engineers didn't do there homework before releasing this saw. If you put the choke on and give anywhere between one pull or heaven forbid more, you flooded it. Then you wear yourself out clearing the cylinder with wide open throttle before it starts. Once started and subsequent hot starts are no problem and it performs well, just don't let it cool off again. Like I said, not engineered well. Oh yes, Stihl knows it's a pain in A$$ to start but they won't do anything to correct the problem for owners. They should have had a total recall to fix this MODEL MS 250 but I guess there engineers never figured out a FIX. I own many other Stihl products, but I won't buy any more because Stihl has known about the problems starting with this model since DAY ONE but refused to take care of the customers. So yes some people just give it away because it's a POS.
My ms 261c is easy to start though it is a little different then my 290 or my 362.
My 290 and 362 starting procedure goes like this,
Put the switch on full choke and pull till it fires, once it fires (DO NOT PULL AGAIN ON FULL CHOKE) or you will flood it. Move the lever to run then pull again till it starts.
The 261c starts like this.
Put it on full choke and pull till it starts. No moving the choke to run, just keep pulling.
All 3 of my saws start within 3 or 4 pulls when cold and on the first once wormed up.

Latest posts

Back