What do you guys think of the Stihl MS 250?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They guy said clearly they he wanted to stick with Stihl.

A saw you like and want is always going to cut better.

I don’t think he wanted to spend any more on a larger displacement Stihl, and nobody would recommend going smaller than a 250 for what he wants to do. Seemed like he was on the right track and just wanted some confirmation.

I don’t make a living with a 250, but I own one and like it and use it sometimes. For the $329 they sell for here it doesn’t seem overly expensive at all for a good little saw with dealer support.

I would put (from the dealer should be no cost swap) Stihl 3/8" LP bar & chain (Stihl PM) with no longer than an 18" bar. If you need the occasional 20" just cut from both sides. This setup should work fine. Just remember to keep the chain sharp!

BTW, this is a 45cc saw and with the 3/8" LP chain it should cut about even with a MS260/261. I don't understand why Stihl puts a 0.325" setup on these as default.
I put a 3/8 bar and chain on my 026 and now I see why they came out with a .325. It's not a happy camper, even with a short bar.

They guy said clearly they he wanted to stick with Stihl.

A saw you like and want is always going to cut better.

I don’t think he wanted to spend any more on a larger displacement Stihl, and nobody would recommend going smaller than a 250 for what he wants to do. Seemed like he was on the right track and just wanted some confirmation.

I don’t make a living with a 250, but I own one and like it and use it sometimes. For the $329 they sell for here it doesn’t seem overly expensive at all for a good little saw with dealer support.
Do they normally go for that price in your area? Here in Texas, the 250s are anywhere from $379-$409

I just gave away some Husky's, 440/359/338 to daughter, first two and latter to son and sold my 570 to STANDARDIZE on Stihl. I didn't use the 570 at all so I bought a MS 261 and taking the MS 250 down to a 14" bar ripper. Local tree service uses 250's with 14" bars versus the top trigger (either Husky or Stihl which they sell). I've had the 250 for a couple years used it frequently for smaller stuff, <20" mostly only issue was it didn't like to start some day's when it was very warm, >75, but I'm keeping it.

The 250 is an ok saw with a decent power to weight ratio. I have one and it will pull a 16 inch .325 narrow kerf full chisel chain through dry Ash with no problem, but mine has a muffler mod which made a huge difference. Like a lot of newer saws it's a stingy oiler, but at least it doesn't leak like some of my other saws do.
The saw is dead reliable and normal servicing is easy. However, if you have to rebuild it it's a real bear, there's some questionable engineering that you have to wrestle with putting it back together.

Do they normally go for that price in your area? Here in Texas, the 250s are anywhere from $379-$409
Yep, I’d I’d travel across 4 states to buy a 590 over a 250 or a new 311. I respect the OP wanting to stick with Stihl if it’sa dealer support thing. Stihl has made some of the best saws in the world but it’s nice to know, and advise, some other great options, and at this level of saws and price range, it’s advice worth giving. I’ve got a 40cc saw and even stopping up to the 50cc range is an astronomical difference.

There’s nothing really wrong with the 250, other than for the same money you can get a 59cc saw that has an outstanding reputation in every category, that can “effectively” pull with everything up to 28 inches. That’s all I’m sayin’.

There’s nothing really wrong with the 250, other than for the same money you can get a 59cc saw that has an outstanding reputation in every category, that can “effectively” pull with everything up to 28 inches. That’s all I’m sayin’.
Which saw "for the same money" are you talking about?

I just looked up the price of a 250 at ace hardware. $379.99. That's crazy.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Saws are expensive here, seen them for even more than this, and this is ridiculous.

Attachments

• MS251_.jpg
    MS251_.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 18
Which saw "for the same money" are you talking about?
I’m seeing the 251 new, not the 250 for about $350 on the low end. I’m also seeing some second hand 250’s for over $300 as well. In many cases the 590 can be had for that, and the two saws are not even remotely comparable. If you are on a tight budget and can have a 250 in good condition for $200 or less, I could see the reasoning. I really have to hand it to Stihl for marketing though. But unfortunately I believe it’s the consumer who ends up paying for that overhead. Not trying to bash on Stihl. Never an issue with Stihl quality.

I remember when I bought my first chainsaw, there were only 3 good saws manufactured. A Stihl, an Echo, or that brownish orange brand with a Scandinavian name. Never mind displacement, or class. And Stihl was the only viable option.

From experience from actually using 250 series in the firewood lot.
You asked about a Stihl 250.
I've got one from day one as new. I cut lots of firewood.
I'm a Stihl guy also.
I WOULD NOT BUY ANOTHER 250 SERIES Stihl.
I've had to replace the low hours crank bearings due to the plastic bearing separators breaking. (I do my own chainsaw repairs) The 250 would not still be with me if I had to pay someone to repair.
The saw has always been hard to start, especially when cold.
Does not crank over easily and this IS A COMMON COMPLAINT OF THE 250.
A 20 inch bar is just little too much for the 250, a 16 would be little better. My 250 does not get used much, looks new, but very rarely goes to the wood lot with me now days.
My 250 Stihl is in the same category as "
being married to a really pretty woman that has a headache all time", ONLY GOOD TO LOOK AT AND ADMIRE

but

I have some 028's and 034's that run and cuts circles around the 250, the 028's and 034 start easily, lots of power and just keep running like the energizer bunny. One of my 028's is several years old and is still a reliable saw.
My preference for dropping trees and cutting on the logs is the 034 and it's not a heavy saw, can be used for trimming limbs also, although if doing lots of trimming head high I prefer a lighter small saw.

Latest posts

Back