What do you guys think of the Stihl MS 250?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EasyT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looks like I might have to buy a new chainsaw. I'm thinking of the Stihl 250, but here's the problem: I use my chainsaws for firewood and sometimes I cut down some pretty big trees. My old MS 311 did the job, but they are expensive.

I'm not sure if the MS 250 can handle the big trees. I read one review - I think it was Bob Vila - who rated the 250 as the best overall chainsaw on the market, dollar for dollar. But, can they handle the big stuff? Thanks for any opinions you can offer.

Its a 40cc clamshell saw that cuts really great with a 16" 3/8lp setup, expecting it to pull bar out of its size class is a fools errand. Can it pull a bigger bar/chain and cut a 38" tree trunk? yes but it will be a dog and ruin the setup from lack of oil while cutting slower than a guy with a kidney stone trying to pee because it's a 40cc saw. The up side is you can run and handle the thing all day because its light, parts for it are pretty inexpensive and widely available in the aftermarket. If you need to cut stuff bigger than 32 inches A second larger saw is necessary, I would highly suggest the second saw be 75+cc for the torque needed to pull a bigger setup and be able to oil it properly. Trust me when I say this, you will not want to run that larger saw all day every day as it will wear your body down leaving you drained and sore the first month. I would look for a middle ground saw because it will be easier on the wallet to buy one saw and two bars/chains of different length. Suggest looking at the 390, 034 for up to 20"-- 036, ms360, ms361 for up to 25". Pay once and cry once and not need to worry about a second saw or destroying a small saw doing a job its not designed to do.

Its a 40cc clamshell saw that cuts really great with a 16" 3/8lp setup, expecting it to pull bar out of its size class is a fools errand. Can it pull a bigger bar/chain and cut a 38" tree trunk? yes but it will be a dog and ruin the setup from lack of oil while cutting slower than a guy with a kidney stone trying to pee because it's a 40cc saw. The up side is you can run and handle the thing all day because its light, parts for it are pretty inexpensive and widely available in the aftermarket. If you need to cut stuff bigger than 32 inches A second larger saw is necessary, I would highly suggest the second saw be 75+cc for the torque needed to pull a bigger setup and be able to oil it properly. Trust me when I say this, you will not want to run that larger saw all day every day as it will wear your body down leaving you drained and sore the first month. I would look for a middle ground saw because it will be easier on the wallet to buy one saw and two bars/chains of different length. Suggest looking at the 390, 034 for up to 20"-- 036, ms360, ms361 for up to 25". Pay once and cry once and not need to worry about a second saw or destroying a small saw doing a job its not designed to do.
THis!

Buy an Echo CS590, its the most suitable saw for the OP 's task at hand,
and the cheapest and most reliable too.
A 250 is a good little saw, but it would die in short time cutting 20 inch
rounds, simply the wrong saw for that job, even it survived your day would
be wasted waiting to complete tasks that would be done in half the time
with the likes of a CS590.

It's a decent saw, but overpriced IMO. For the same price or a hair cheaper, I can go to my Echo dealer and pick up a 490 or a 4910, two far superior saws that are way better built and way more powerful for the same weight. For a few bucks more, I can buy another CS590, these saws are basically unkillable. Mine has been run hard for 5 years and it's never given me any trouble

Looks like I might have to buy a new chainsaw. I'm thinking of the Stihl 250, but here's the problem: I use my chainsaws for firewood and sometimes I cut down some pretty big trees. My old MS 311 did the job, but they are expensive.

I'm not sure if the MS 250 can handle the big trees. I read one review - I think it was Bob Vila - who rated the 250 as the best overall chainsaw on the market, dollar for dollar. But, can they handle the big stuff? Thanks for any opinions you can offer.
Bob Villa is no chainsaw nerd like these guys and if he said that you can bet he was paid to say it. I have to agree that the echo 590 is hands down the most saw for the money. The new 4910 is the lightest 50cc saw produced right now. Both of those have pro grade magnesium crankcases and adjustable oilers unlike the plastic crankcase like the 250. I wouldn't limit myself to one brand when there are better options. I consider myself to be a Husqvarna guy but I also have 1 Dolmar, 1 Echo and 3 Stihl products. The next piece of equipment I buy I will decide which product will fit my needs no matter what brand it is.

Depends on what you consider a 'big' tree.

I know guys that think 22" is a BIG tree and they rarely mess with stuff over 18" and mostly hang out in the 12-16" range for firewood. For that kind of stuff it would work fine.

If you're interested in 30"+ on a regular basis, the MS250 not enough saw IMO.

The 250 is a good little saw, light and sounds great… if that matters. As long as the wood isn’t always big, and you want to stick with Stihl and don’t want to spend more than what you can get a 250 for, go for it. Nothing wrong with a clamshell saw, and the 250 is one of the best of them anyway.

Back