What do you guys think of the Stihl MS 250?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve done a comparison of the 590 and ms362 side by side and I think they compare in power and build quality. The ms 362 was a non m- tronic saw and they were both well worn in. I like them both and I think the only thing that puts the 590 in the “farm” class is the spur sprocket, stock bar and chain, and plastic clutch cover, which in reality is every bit as tough as magnesium, just not as heat resistant.
I've done the same and don't agree. The cs590 is a midrange, farmsaw powerband while the ms362 has all of that midrange and then a topend (chainspeed) that the 590 doesn't. Pro power characteristics in top end and throttle response...

Also, even tho my ms362 (also a non-moronic model) has the two piece flocked air filter maligned by many (there's nothing wrong with it, it seals perfectly when properly mounted) it is still light years ahead of the cheap filter on the cs590. While the cases on the cs590 are beautifully crafted, like the Stihl, the quality of the finish is significantly inferior. The antivibe isn't even in the same universe.The cs590 top cover is not "pro" by any stretch in its mounting system, compared to the Stihl (think losing screws in the field, and repeated disassembly/assembly created wallowed out screw holes). The cs590 is inferior in other ways. It has a right to be, it is half the price and darn good for the money. The strato ms362 is overly complicated, to be sure and a pita to work on to be sure, but it definitely is a better feeling saw, imo. However I think that the echo will prove to have more durable guts in the end. It is simple and effective. The Stihl is a way over-complicated thing with a record of some failures. I will be rid of the ms362 before the echo, as much as it pains me..

Someone is not comparing apples with apples. The CS-501P is a the pro 50 cc saw in the Echo lineup. But other than the aluminum handle, different piston and cylinder combined with improved porting, all those improvements are hard to justify the price over the much cheaper priced CS-490. Once the CS-490 is modded and re-tuned, it swiftly catches up to the pro saw in terms of performance. Again, what is not fair in my comparison is that the CS-490 is not passing emissions standards like the CS-501P. Life isn't fair, but I prefer to pay $275 rather than $500 plus US dollars.
And that 50cc echo is LIGHT! Almost as light as the ms250 while being considerably better made

Someone is not comparing apples with apples. The CS-501P is a the pro 50 cc saw in the Echo lineup. But other than the aluminum handle, different piston and cylinder combined with improved porting, all those improvements are hard to justify the price over the much cheaper priced CS-490. Once the CS-490 is modded and re-tuned, it swiftly catches up to the pro saw in terms of performance. Again, what is not fair in my comparison is that the CS-490 is not passing emissions standards like the CS-501P. Life isn't fair, but I prefer to pay $275 rather than $500 plus US dollars.
I just looked apples to apples Echo 501P $480 Echo 4910 $360. echousa website. Looks like the 501 also has pro lite bar where the other is likely double guard. Different piston and cylinder does that mean different plating? Besides port sizes and timing.

At least discussing a 50cc vs 45cc is more realistic than suggesting a 59cc one that some say weighs almost like a 70cc one.

AS to the MS250, I only have the MS251. If you notice smoke coming from the clutch area stop and let it cool. My Neighbor has a ms250 and it has one time refused to start so there is likely some truth to the rumors. Still he brought that one on purpose not something else.

I've done the same and don't agree. The cs590 is a midrange, farmsaw powerband while the ms362 has all of that midrange and then a topend (chainspeed) that the 590 doesn't. Pro power characteristics in top end and throttle response...

Also, even tho my ms362 (also a non-moronic model) has the two piece flocked air filter maligned by many (there's nothing wrong with it, it seals perfectly when properly mounted) it is still light years ahead of the cheap filter on the cs590. While the cases on the cs590 are beautifully crafted, like the Stihl, the quality of the finish is significantly inferior. The antivibe isn't even in the same universe.The cs590 top cover is not "pro" by any stretch in its mounting system, compared to the Stihl (think losing screws in the field, and repeated disassembly/assembly created wallowed out screw holes). The cs590 is inferior in other ways. It has a right to be, it is half the price and darn good for the money. The strato ms362 is overly complicated, to be sure and a pita to work on to be sure, but it definitely is a better feeling saw, imo. However I think that the echo will prove to have more durable guts in the end. It is simple and effective. The Stihl is a way over-complicated thing with a record of some failures. I will be rid of the ms362 before the echo, as much as it pains me..
I think the Stihl is the more refined saw, with slightly better finish. In my comparison the 2 saws capabilities and durability( which is subjective) is what I weigh in on. I haven’t raced them but both saws with a 24” bar, buried closes that gap in performance for me. There are a lot of 3 series Husqys with even worse top cover designs and loose screws. Still pro by any means. The Timberwolf is the lesser saw in terms of refinement, but everything considered(and for me, with saws, durability and simplicity are paramount), it’s just as good. But that’s subjective as well. If I were a pro, I might just choose the 362, for its refinement and antivibe. …and to have another Stihl before they are all m-tronic. Sorry to get so off topic.

I agree 100% with what you said. My 590 has been abused for over 5 years now, it’s never given me a lick of trouble. It has fell off my 4 wheeler more times than I can count, nothing has cracked or broken on it. The best way I can describe it is a workhorse saw, not the best in any category, but it’s built like a tank. It’s no 362, 562, or 620P, but I don’t expect it to be that for the price. It’s served me well for quite a while and I can certainly expect it to continue to do just that

And that 50cc echo is LIGHT! Almost as light as the ms250 while being considerably better made
Even the 4910 is the same weight but cheaper than the 250 by $30-$50 here in Texas. IIRC, it’s basically the same as the 501P except for the bar and the plastic handle vs metal on the 501P

Even the 4910 is the same weight but cheaper than the 250 by $30-$50 here in Texas. IIRC, it’s basically the same as the 501P except for the bar and the plastic handle vs metal on the 501P
Yep. That would be my choice all day long over a 250. It's a no brainer.

I supported his want for a 250, I like 250s 025s for some reason. But if he had no brand in mind and was just determined to stay under $400 brand new, I would be on this echo bandwagon for sure 100%. I like echo saws.
It's funny to me that a lot of people will only buy one particular brand of anything. Anything from appliances, phones, trucks, guns, power tools, the list goes on. I usually do research when I'm going to make a purchase. Of the saws I have, I bought 3 of them brand new. I did comparisons on the specs and the price. I picked out what I felt was the best for me at the time of purchase. They are all 3 different brands.

Yup, I have consciously selected good models from 4 brands.

edit; 5 brands. 6 if you call a couple of the jonsereds what they really are - Partners
I have 5 different brands, but only 3 I bought brand new
Variety is nice. No company makes the best stuff in all categories.
That is a very true statement.

Around here, that Echo is about $60-$70 dollars more than the 250. That's not exactly the same price. I'm going to stick to my original choice, get the 250 now for smaller stuff to fill up my wood shed, then add a bigger machine this coming fall, maybe look for a good deal this summer.

I will do further research on the Echo - I found a nearby dealer - but I'll most likely stay with Stihl. Not that I don't trust the opinions expressed here, but I know the Stihl brand, have used it and trust it.
Hopefully the 250 doesn't completely change your impression of Stihl. I bought one several years ago. Looked hard at the Dolmar 421 and ended up with the 250 based on Stihl's name and my local dealer. I've regretted that decision ever since. My 250 is very hard to start. Runs ok if I can start it. I've done no mods to it as I can't see the reason if it will rarely run.
I'm going to try a few things with it when the weather turns.....if I can't resolve it I'll sell for whatever I can get and will be buying an Echo 490 or more likely a 4910.

Here is what I'm used to: grab a cold saw, choke it, hear the sputter, it starts. Put it down, pick it up 5 minutes later, one pull...it starts no choke. Been cutting wood since 16 yrs old and a logger for 30 years and a home owner for 27 yrs after that. I had an addiction to chainsaws after the profession and would buy and sell them just to try them out including the 80 cc guys.
Have used all kinds of chainsaws, all kinds of sizes and any brand available.
The two most cantankerous saws I've ever had in my hands were a friends Husq 435 and the Stihl 250 when I was looking for another small limbing saw. (To date, nothing has surpassed the 46's from Husq for that task). With the 250, there sometimes was a sputter and sometimes not. Tried all the mentioned starting techniques from the factory and the internet. One method would work and the next time it wouldn't. Nope, not gonna do that.
I will not tolerate a finicky saw that seemingly has a brain of its own and decides if it will start or not.
Both of the Husq 435 and the Sthil 250 mentioned saws are in that category.
Perfectly content with the Echo 501P.

Looks like I might have to buy a new chainsaw. I'm thinking of the Stihl 250, but here's the problem: I use my chainsaws for firewood and sometimes I cut down some pretty big trees. My old MS 311 did the job, but they are expensive.

I'm not sure if the MS 250 can handle the big trees. I read one review - I think it was Bob Vila - who rated the 250 as the best overall chainsaw on the market, dollar for dollar. But, can they handle the big stuff? Thanks for any opinions you can offer.
Did you buy that saw yet?

arr222 wrote:
Here is what I'm used to: grab a cold saw, choke it, hear the sputter, it starts. Put it down, pick it up 5 minutes later, one pull...it starts no choke.

Yep, that is why my 250 is very seldom grabbed.
I take it too the wood lot every once in awhile with couple other saws just to give it AND MYSELF some exercise.
I usually try to start the 250 first because it wants some petting.
Crank it several times and not even a promise, set it aside and grab my 028 or the 034 and go to work.
Maybe sometime later I will pet the 025 and try again. Seems after it's petted few times with some rest in between it will go.
It's just not what a chainsaw should be. You have to have lots of patience with a 025 and be strong physically with a strong shoulder.

Back