What do you pay your help?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sisco

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ive been in business about 1 year now for myself. I used to cut for power and light for a couple of years. I learned everything from there. I now have a small business with me and a climber. I have a couple of older trucks and a small chipper. Occasionally I need additional help and bring on local guys to climb or chip brush. My friend says I pay them to much. I give half to them after all expenses, gas ect. I like to keep my permanant guy happy. If I paid him 15 an hour to climb it would be fine if I could gaurentee he works every day but I cant. Problem 2 is I train a climber and the next thing I know hes out doing trees on his own. Im sure that you guys have been down this road as well. How do you avoid or handle these problems?

You just started your company, its a little early to be hiring climbers to do the work for you. Do the climbing yourself, stop training people that are going to become competitors because you are too small of a company to pay them well and offer benefits that will ensure employee retention. Work hard a couple of years, running the crew and managing the business and sales. Build a client base and focus on investing your profits into better equipment, marketing, and carrying insurance coverage. After a few years of hard work you may be at a point were hiring and training a climber you can retain may be possible.

Economy Tree

Yes I see the point. Another question. How do you compete with the guys that have a saw and a rope and a lowball price. I have to pay truck insurance and job insurance. These guys are popping up everywhere around here. I just got my add in the yellow pages and hope I will generate business from there.

Don't worry lowballers are in every aspect of the green industry. Everyone deals with them. I 'm just getting my name out there and do a good job at a fair price and hopefully squeeze out the lowballers. I also bring it to the attention of customers that they probably don't have insurance and do sloppy work. It may not be a good idea to do that but it's not a good idea to work without insurance either. Just my 2 cents

I pay $7hr For pulling brush and running the ropes. I"ll pay more if they have experience and are good running a chainsaw.

Last edited:
sisco

Hello mate

I don't believe thats its not a good idea to be paying a climber and not be climbing yourself.I've seen that way of doing things work before,it just depends on how much work you can get and where your strengths are.Guys leaving to do their own thing will always be an issue,you did?The guys are right about building your company to a level that is able to offer benifits and the pleasure of using great equipment.As for the pay rate,pay as much as the guy is worth,or a little more if that is going to motivate him towards more productivity.I've witnessed many times that after an employee leaves due to being paid less than he is worth,his true value only became apparent.Keep in touch with your guys,listen to their issues,be approachable,resonable and fair.Thats as much as you can ask for!
Good luck with it!

sisco said:
Yes I see the point. Another question. How do you compete with the guys that have a saw and a rope and a lowball price. I have to pay truck insurance and job insurance. These guys are popping up everywhere around here. I just got my add in the yellow pages and hope I will generate business from there.

In order to beat the other guy you have to give value first, sell your expertise,not your price. Support your price using testimonials about your service, knowledge, clean up, etc... Start with quality and value, back it up with the best service. Ask "if all bids are within 10% of one another, would you consider dropping the lowest price and selecting who you think would have the best service, the best people to work with, the most knowledgeable?" What is there to lose? Don't talk bad about the other guy, follow up after meeting with a prospect, follow up after the job is complete. Under promise what you can do, then over deliver when doing the work. Take care of problems and complaints within 24-48 hours. Ask your loyal customers to bring you one new customer just like them next year. Be yourself, build confidence in your service. Word travels fast about agood experience with a service provider.

Latest posts

Back