What do you pay your workers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jolestree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a growing service and want good employees what is fair to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all depends on where you live. Cost of living is more or less here or there. If they are better then average and you wanna keep then you better pay them better then average. When I do big jobs and it all goes good I give the guys working for me a couple extra bucks. Just remember these guys make you money. I often tell employees the harder they work and the more they do that makes me more money puts more money in there own pockets.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

It all depends on where you live. Cost of living is more or less here or there. If they are better then average and you wanna keep then you better pay them better then average. When I do big jobs and it all goes good I give the guys working for me a couple extra bucks. Just remember these guys make you money. I often tell employees the harder they work and the more they do that makes me more money puts more money in there own pockets.

So do you pay hourly daily comm and how much

A groundie that is new and/or only good for dragging brush, should get about 1.3 to 1.5 times the starting rate at the local McD's. A groundie that can set your climbing line while you harness up, run a port a wrap without rag dolling you, and sharpen a chain well, deserves about double the McD's starting rate. If you have a real good week, you can always toss them a bonus. There are a lot of reasons I prefer paying a nice bonus vs higher base pay.

I pay hourly. Right now I pay my guy $16 a hour. He has a cdl and some experience. I have paid up words of $18 for a ground guy/ climber. If i found a good climber I would pay $25 a hour

I pay hourly. Right now I pay my guy $16 a hour. He has a cdl and some experience. I have paid up words of $18 for a ground guy/ climber. If i found a good climber I would pay $25 a hour

Thanks that is what I was looking for very helpful

We all work on percentages, but when we get an extra groundman he gets $15 to $18 if he moves. If he`s a dweezil, he gets $10 to $12. If the guy has a car and follows us to a job, we`ll shoot him some gas money and we usually spring for coffee and muffins on the way to work. You have to treat people well if you want them to pound ground and maintain a good attitude. It can be pretty a sucky job at times.

We don`t often hire extra climbers, but when we have it was always a newb or semi-newb who was there just to help with a bunch of easy stuff, and he`d get $20 to $25, depending on if we knew him and we liked him.

I used to live in Williamsburg. $16 out there, is like $11 per hour out here. You have to consider the location to compare pay rates.

It's nice to find a boss like that, I grew tired of the attitude of "the harder you work and the more you do then the more money I make and the more I'll expect you to do, hell, I may even let a couple of people go one at a time so you can do their work too, if you don't die then you obviously weren't working hard enough anyway" working for a **** boss was what pushed me to my own things

I went self employed and worked harder for myself, not because I didn't work hard before but because it was for me, I wasn't being screwed by someone so they get to keep all the money.

A good boss is worth killing yourself for, they'll look after you and you'll look after them, its the way it should be

Back