What do you take with you into the field?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex68w

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Which must have items do you take with you when you go out to cut away from your homestead/shop?

I carry the following:

* Chainsaw(s) in a carrying case
* Fuel and bar oil
* Field Medical Kit
* Gun (lots of predators in south Texas)
* Ice chest w/water, drinks, and snacks
* Rain gear (if needed)
* Splitting axe and hatchet
* Small tool kit
* Spare chain

(All in a weather proof bag)
* Chaps
* Eye Pro
* Helmet w/built-in face shield and hearing pro
* Gloves
* Wedges of various sizes
* Tape
* Towel

Pic from this past weekend before heading out, I did some minor clean up to make way for new roads at BIL's newly acquired property.

bffSGdA.jpg

Which must have items do you take with you when you go out to cut away from your homestead/shop?

I carry the following:

* Chainsaw(s) in a carrying case
* Fuel and bar oil
* Field Medical Kit
* Gun (lots of predators in south Texas)
* Ice chest w/water, drinks, and snacks
* Rain gear (if needed)
* Splitting axe and hatchet
* Small tool kit
* Spare chain

(All in a weather proof bag)
* Chaps
* Eye Pro
* Helmet w/built-in face shield and hearing pro
* Gloves
* Wedges of various sizes
* Tape
* Towel

Pic from this past weekend before heading out, I did some minor clean up to make way for new roads at BIL's newly acquired property.

bffSGdA.jpg
Looks like yer gonna go camping,,,

Depends on what I am doing. Dropping trees in the woods or cutting up blowdown require less gear than needed for directional falling around buildings or power lines

Saws with extra chains
Small tool kit
Scrench, axe, and wedges (which are always in the truck anyhow)
Splitting axe if needed
Fuel and bar oil
Lots of beverages like water, gatorade, and maybe coffee
Snacks like beef jerky or string cheese
Helmet
Safety glasses
Gloves
Chains/cables/choker/come-along if needed

I wear safety toed boots. Should wear chaps more often

I was a DD in the oil field in a previous life and I saw lots of accidents due to the failure of the casualty to wear the proper PPE. I was a combat medic in the Army a few years back and again, first hand experience of what simple mistakes look like due to the lack of following proper procedure. I am currently working on my Masters in industrial hygiene and occupational safety and now I take my personal safety and that of those around me even more seriously than ever before. The very first piece of safety gear I purchased when I got into saws were chaps, my BIL and a few other buddies rib me about them, but they won't be laughing if they ever cut into their legs.

Most of my stuff is always in town so that somewhat changes what I usually bring. I try to pack lighter, but it's still quite a bit to haul out.
Two handsaws
At least two chainsaws with matching file/small repair kit. Usually a 30-40cc saw and a 60cc saw.
fuel mix/oil
Pole pruner depending on job
Rope/chain
Axe and wedges
Chaps/helmet/safety glasses/steel toe boots/gloves
Small med kit for small cuts, probably should get one for more serious stuff considering I'm usually by myself cutting.
Water

This past summer I had a project that was 20 minutes from my house, to remove about 60 dead Oak trees. I took a couple of ammo boxes for each saw, gas can, a jug of water, two saws and every thing else that I wanted like a shovel just laid them in the weeds. Now I am spoiled will not know what to do when I really pack to cut. On a normal basis I take every thing, 20 gallons of water for drinking, 30 gallons of water for additional water for fire extinguishers not including water left on site, food for a month, two saws, gas, propane bottles, bedding, too much to remember now. Of course back up poo poo paper. Spare every thing, but the view and wildlife make the effort quite special. Thanks

Latest posts

Back